Automatic log off when work period ends

Hi, I’d like to know if it is possible to manage the following situation.
I have 3 Terminals, which are fixed and I do not work with the system that each waiter has his own login, but there is a login per station which is done at service start.
It is configured that after an order samba doesn’t log off.

I want that if in Terminal A I end the work period the other terminals do automatically a logg off, because if not, they are still in the POS screen and can take orders, but these orders are not saved.

I do not want to use triggers because the minimum is 1 min and this is too long.

There are 2 aims why I want this to work like this:

1. When the bar closes I want the waiters to know that they cannot do any orders more and otherwise they continue and the data typed in at this point is LOST.
  2. I want to prevent that the next day somebody comes and starts working with the pos, because he thinks the period is already started.

NB: Even when I go to the management screen the POS button is still active. Just after I log completely off and on again the POS button becomes unclickable. Is that intended like this?

1 Like

You can use message server to display an information box on all terminals when work period ends. You can use Broadcast Message action to send a message and Message Received rule to handle that message. Use Show Message action to display your informational message.

hi I made a video to show my problem after I set up the message server.

Exactly same kind of issue I have even message server connected when I close wp in one terminal or open another terminal is not effecting immediately unless login . any updates to msg server ,

Broadcast message is just sending message. If you want to logout you have to add Logout User Action to Message Received Event.
But I think it is good idea to automatically logout users by default (I mean hard code) when work period Start/End. Because it is not suppose to be able to order anything after work period end or duplicate start work period.

Are both terminals hooked up to the same SQL express database?

If you don’t shutdown terminals before ending work period and waiters still can create tickets after you end work period… It is pretty possible waiters may be at the middle of creating tickets while ending work period. So you shouldn’t automatically logout but wait until they finish their tickets.

If you want I can show you how many terminals are still running SambaPOS so you may wait until all terminals shut down.

btw I really didn’t understand why waiters creating tickets if there is no customer inside? Or if there are customers why you’re ending work period… lol. Is it 24hr open venue?

1 Like

@emre Like Some restaurants, Bars open until late but may serve last order for bar/Kitchen at your choice of time or local policies may not allow after certain time, means we can’t say them to leave, customers still in side but may sit for long time until they finish what they ordered, so If we close wp after last orders saves lots of time otherwise wp may cover another day after12am ,and count tills may take some time too.

So OK I’ll implement something suitable for your case but I’m trying to understand your case. Normally people shuts down terminals after ending work period. Sounds like you are ending work period but keep running terminals so waiters can still create tickets. I’m trying to understand why waiters creating tickets after work period ends? If you’re serving them should these tickets appear on next work period? Sorry I’m a little confused.

@emre what some cases busy restaurants where most staff involves , when customer requests staff may don’t know with handheld/tablets as they still ale to take order means wp is opened. and I haven’t checked weather its going to next wp, as I know my self so logged out and in but when iam not there . What I think is if Work period ended in server Automatically show message to clients or unable to take order would be a great help , consider as request.

Well OK. Seems like there is no special reason to keep terminals active. So on next version…

1. We won’t allow saving new tickets from terminals when work period closed.
  2. Screens will update fine to reflect work period updates.
  3. We won’t auto logout for various reasons but if you want you can implement auto logout like @Stanko demonstrated. The only thing you need to do additionally is executing Reset Cache action.
1 Like