Client PC will not connect to Server PC Data Connection String

Hello All,

I have been trying for 3 days to try and get my Client PC (Terminal) to connect to the Server PC.

My first problem was that I had 2 firewalls, the router and Kaspersky…these have both been removed of the server PC so both PCs can now ping the ip address of each other.

As far as I am aware I have installed the server to the word of all the tutorials yet my client PC still will not connect I keep getting Data Connection String Issue.

I Have gone through almost 10 other forum posts about various fixes and such, but nothing seems to work.

Whatever other information I can provide, please ask and I shall do so.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Hi Keval,

Please provide info about the both OS systems Windows 8…?
SambaPOS Version
Database SQL?

Next:
First I would try to ping from one to the other computer.
Type CMD in the run or seach box.
Ping IP address (preferable if you set up static IP) ping 192.168.x.xxx for example.

Show the connection string on the Client, and the exact error message you are seeing.
Set a Static IP (or reservation) for the Server at the very least.
Try pinging from Client to Server by name and by IP.

Hi Peter,

Server is Windows 7 Home Premium
Client is Windows 8.1
SambaPOS4 4182

As for Database SQL its 2014 and instance i believe mine is KEVAL-PC\SAMBAPOS

(Cant upload screenshot for some reason)

Ping Successful from Server to Client and Client to Server. Both PCs have static IP addresses.

This is the error receive on Client PC

I have tried addidng Database=SambaPOS4; User Id=sa; Password=1234
Even various other connection string types that it might be, but nothing is working

Here are some other images

Try to use the Ip address instead of the computer name
Data Source=192.168.xxx.xxx\SAMBAPOS; User Id=sa; Password=1234; Database=DatabaseName;

I See use 192.168.xxx.xxx\SAMBAPOS4;

Be sure IPALL is enabled on 8080

I tried accessing the database through IP address on client, did not seem to work.

Or do I need to make a completely new SQL instance using the IP address?

IPALL was at 8080

go to your windows services and ensure that SQL Browser is running.

SQL Browser is running,
For some reason SQL Agent, everytime I start it, it tells me the “SQL on local server started then stopped”

Define your Database=xxx to connect.

Is the database set to Windows Authentication or mixed>? If set to windows auth, you might think about setting it to mixed and then setup a username and password with correct permissions.

@Peter_Cijsouw sorry, Im not sure i quite understood what you meant by that, I though the Database was SambaPOS4 as shown through the SQL Management tools screenshot? Do I need to change this.

@Jesse The database was set to Windows Authentication, but later changed to mixed in the management tools.
How would i set up a new username and password?

By default it has SA user setup but you need to enable it using MSSMS.

@Jesse I have done this and set the password to 1234

I had read in another Microsoft link how to enable SA login and followed those steps already

Click on the + to extend

Please also copy the String from your Main Server/Computer

@Peter_Cijsouw here is the extended menu

String in Main Server is
Data Source=KEVAL-PC\SAMBAPOS; Database=SambaPOS4;

Does Server string also need to have IP address?
Data Source=192.168.2.200\SAMBAPOS; Database=SambaPOS4;

Did you ensure SA user has correct permissions?

No the computer name should work unless you have something messed up in your network setup or router.

@kendash Im sure it did, but I shall search the tutorial and go through it again

If you use computer name, be sure to have Named Pipes enabled.