Client PC will not connect to Server PC Data Connection String

If you use computer name, be sure to have Named Pipes enabled.

Yes I have Named Pipes Enabled. just one question though, not sure if this is how mmc works, but each time I open it i have to load the saved Console1 for the snap in to show

It works that way unless you save it with that snapin already in it.

Is this an issue?

No its probably something else configured wrong. Can you connect to the SQL server using MSSMS from another computer?

OK SQL Server Agent no need to run.

Try this one.

What To Do
Create the data link (UDL) file
Right-click the Windows desktop, point to New, and then click Text Document. A new file is created by default (New Text Document.txt).
Open Windows Explorer, and on the Tools menu, click Folder Options. On the View tab, clear the Hide file extensions for known file types check box and then click OK.
Right-click the Text Document you created in step 1, choose Rename, and then change the name and extension of the file to: sophos.udl
A warning might appear, explaining that changing file extensions could cause files to become unusable. Disregard this warning.
You can store the (sophos.udl) file anywhere on your system or network.
Double-click the (sophos.udl) file or you can optionally right-click it, and then click Properties. This opens the Data Link Properties dialog box. You are now ready to connect to your data source.

Testing connectivity to a SQL server
When you have opened the data link properties select the Provider tab.
From the list of OLE DB Provider(s) select ‘Microsoft OLE DB for SQL Server’.
Click the next button to move to the Connection tab.
Enter the SQL server’s hostname followed by a backslash () in the first box. E.g. windows2003server\sophos
Under ‘Enter information to log on to the server’ select one of the radio buttons…
‘Use Windows NT Integrated security’ if the SQL server uses Windows authentication
‘User a specific user name and password’ if the SQL server uses SQL authentication.
Under ‘Select the database on the server’ click on the drop down list to view the databases that are available.
Select the require database and click the ‘Test Connection’ button.
If necessary record any error seen and forward to technical support. Otherwise click OK to close the properties window and save the connection settings.

Sorry is this is a stupid question, but I am making this .udl file on the client yes, not the server?

@kendash how would I go about doing that?

Sorry on the Client as you like to reach the server DB

@Peter_Cijsouw
I got this error trying to do the .udl on the server pc,

this happened when trying to select database

Don’t use sophos but sambapos4

sorry that was a stupid error by me.

However even with SambaPOS4 i still get the same error

Apologies, mine is SAMBAPOS (no 4 at the end)

Sorry didnt see I was already supposed to do on client. The client failed and had the error shown above

Put in the sa and 1234

whether I use Windows NT or username and password (sa, 1234), I still get the error.

At this point would it be worth me just reinstalling windows and starting from scratch?

TRy to do this first on the server, once you have your connection, you can move this tool to the client.

I have tried the .udl tool on the server, it was successful
on the client pc still unsuccessful

Ok, so no need to reinstall windows. just take a deep breath and lets look at the issue.

To avoid any router / wifi issues, connect a UTP cable (Cross over if the NIC is not switching) or connect both computers wit static IP to a switch.

Go true the SQL Server settings again and sure it’s just somewhere a minor configuration issue.

Okay, luckily I have a switch next to me, I didnt know i could just connect 2 regular cables into it, or do I need a cross over cable.
Do i need to do anything with the IP addresses?
Server is static at 192.168.2.200
Client is static at 192.168.2.202

@Jesse @Peter_Cijsouw @QMcKay also, thank you so much for takign the time to help me

Really? Seems a bit excessive!

@Keval_Patel
The error message says does not exist or access denied… are you sure you have setup mixed mode properly? whats the user and password on the client machine vs the server machine?

Crossover is needed for direct adhoc type connection directly between PCs if MIC is not autoswitching, but most newer cards are autoswitching and normal cat5 can be used.
If using a switch youll just use standard straight cables not crossover.