Help with reservation/Preorder workflow

I have a system setup where people can pay money off an item and collect the item when paid in full. I followed the simple reservation example. I also created another ticket type for this. I thought I had this ready to go but noticed one problem today. The problem is if I reserve an item and the customer pays €20 off a €100 item everything works fine. If 3 days later they pay another €20 my work period report does not show it. It will show in the original work period. So my accounts are right but my end of day drawer will always be wrong. I tried changing the date of the ticket using a Change ticket action but this reversed it showing all payments for current work period. I’m going to try clone the ticket now to see if that helps. Anyone any other ideas?

1 Like

Dont use preorder tickets for this as it wasnt designed to be used like that so figures do always add up

You should create customet accounts and settle ticket using account payment type. When customers come to pay you add that money to their account, when their account balance is zero theyve fully paid and you can give them their items

Hmm. You are switching it back to a real ticket later by changing ticket type right? Does it pulls pre-payments to current work period? It shouldn’t do that.

That can be solved with reporting. Can you show us which part of work period report your’re referring to?

I’m not at pc at the minute. Yes when remaining amount is zero it switches back to normal ticket. It only pulls pre payment if I set action to change ticket date. If I don’t change date and payment is made it doesn’t add payment to current work period but work period the ticket was created. I aslo tried cloning the ticket but I would need away of removing old ticket. Hopefully I can sort it with reports. I will post some pics later to show my workflow.

@RickH I know there was a reason I didn’t use customer accounts for this but now I can’t think of what it was. I will be at pc later and it might come back to me.

1 Like

OK I think I understand the issue. Let me make few changes on reporting. I’ll be glad if you can test it when 5.1.54 released.

I’ve made changes regarding reporting payments but I don’t think that would be a solution as it creates a difference between sales and payments on both work periods. Maybe you should process pre-payments as a different payment type and exclude them until ticket becomes a real ticket. You can pull payments to work period date

@RickH’s suggestion will also be a great solution as you can let customer to use their credits to pay ticket and you can display it in reports separately.

I’m rolling back my changes for now. If you have suggestions it would be nice to discuss.

I could use a solution for this also.
@emre Difference between sales total and payments total would be correct in my situation.
At date of sale - sales should be total cost. I pay tax on total regardless if it has been paid in full or not.
In later work periods I do not need anything to show in sales. just payments for that particular work period.

I can not use customer accounts because some customers have multiple tickets, and they receive their items when ticket is paid. With customer accounts I would not know which specific ticket has been paid or which items they should receive.

I do however have trade accounts which i charge to the customer accounts, they take the items on credit and I bill them at the end of the month. - These payments also do not show up in the work period report??

Again total sales would be on sale date in work period report and in subsequent reports, payments would be under the payments section of work period report - is this possible?

Basically I need sales report for my accounts.
&
Payments report to see how much cash & credit card payments were taken in on that day, so i can compare with my bank statements to make sure my staff lodged the correct amount into my bank account.
They do not need to correlate!

What we understand from sales or payment can be different depending on business rules. The base for all money related stuff is accounting system. We can run any business to a degree by just using accounting. Any amount total that is significant for you should relate with an account on your accounting plan. For example if you want to know “collected tip total” or “supplier payments” that defines something significant for you and that should be tracked under an account.

Tickets, sales, discounts, payments, etc, anything implemented on top of accounting is useful to make data entry and management easier. At the end all of these translates to related account transactions. What we mean with payments here is payments received for created tickets. If you received cash this is a payment. If you closed ticket with customer account this is also a payment. You may settle it or not. This is something different and should be tracked separately.

So as tickets and received payments represents daily operations they should mach. If these numbers does not match that may lead to confusions.

For an example see how we sell gift certificates, manage and process them later as payments. Gift Certificate Sales & Redemption.

You can also find a sample accounting report here. Gift Certificate Sales & Redemption. By using these tags you can include any account related data in your work period report. However I won’t suggest them to include them in work period reports. All daily cash transactions may reported separately under a report named like Cash Report.

Also you can exclue payments made for preorder tickets like

{REPORT PAYMENT DETAILS:P.Name,P.Amount.Percent,P.Amount.Sum:(TY=$1) and T.PreOrder != True}

When ticket becomes a real ticket they’ll appear in related work period report.

Also you can list pre-order payments separately like

{REPORT PAYMENT DETAILS:P.Name,P.Amount.Percent,P.Amount.Sum:(TY=$1) and T.PreOrder == True}
2 Likes

Does anyone else have 350 book marks… :tired_face:

Well I’ve probably responded in 349.9 of those bookmarks lol. Forum is a great tool and bookmarks are great.

1 Like

Ok, I noticed that all subsequent payments on tickets with a balance show in accounts on exact same date/time, but payments on payment screen log exact transaction date/times.
Also when ticket is fully settled, the ticket shows the last payment date & time.

Where is this data stored and can we use it on reports or even force the accounts to use this data vs default ticket opening date/time?

See here for logging this information:

You would need to modify it for your need but it explains the basics and advanced use of how to add this information and it can be accessed via reports.

I didn’t understand the reason of that comparison.

When you enter to payment screen and add 5 different cash payments sequentially they’ll have same transaction date as related transactions created while saving the ticket. There will always be few second differences that passes between you click cash button and close ticket but I didn’t understand what significance it has.

1 Like

Sorry that was just a quick example i done up all dates are the same but times are different.
Here is a better example i changed the date on my pc for each transaction. Hopefully this clears it up a little for you.

@Jesse It seems to be adding the date and time to each transaction by default. But that method would be good to add the data to receipts. But hopefully I can pull the data that’s currently there to keep it simpler/cleaner.

You can access it in reports. look at the {REPORT PAYMENT DETAILS:X} tag the field would be P.Date and P.Time

More information here:

http://www.sambapos.com/wiki/doku.php?id=custom_reporting_tags

To be able to simulate a real life usage better you should close ticket after each payment. As you stay on payment screen between transactions their dates becomes ticket date.

I did close the ticket after each payment, and closed down samba pos to change the date, each time.
The ticket date is not changing.

Thanks @Jesse that will work perfect for reports.

But all the payments are showing up in work period for the 12/10/2015.
What I need is for each payment to show up in the corresponding work period by date.
So the payments made on the 14th and 16th should not be in this report.

Any thoughts on the best way of getting this information to show up in the correct work period reports?

I’ve been comfortable enough with most aspects of samba so far, but I cannot get my head around the reports at all

Sorry are we talking about ticket date not changing issue? Sorry I missed it. Ticket date is ticket creation date and it wont change (unless you change it with change ticket type action)

Are you starting and stopping work periods every day?

@Jesse he’s creating a ticket on 10/1/2015 and settling half payments on 10/2/2015 and 10/3/2015. SambaPOS lists these payments on 10/1/2015 work period report as related ticket created that day. He probably wants so see them on related work period reports but I don’t recommend it as it creates a difference between sales & payments numbers. He wants that difference…

1 Like