SQL Server is either corrupt or has been tampered

now, this is the new error message

Information

There is a problem.

An error occurred while getting provider information from the database. This can be caused by Entity Framework using an incorrect connection string. Check the inner exceptions for details and ensure that the connection string is correct.

So your connection string is not correct. You need to modify it to contain the proper information to connect to the SQL Service, which may include (example values in italic):

Instance Name (Data Source): localhost\SQLEXPRESS
User Name (User Id): sa
Password: sambapos
Database: SambaPOS4

Where do I find the connection string information?

If it is not providing a dialog box for you to enter the information, you can find the connection string here:

C:\ProgramData\SAMBAPOS\SambaPOS4\SambaSettings.txt

The contents of that file should look like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?><SettingsObject xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"><MessagingServerPort>8080</MessagingServerPort><ConnectionString>Data Source=localhost\SQLEXPRESS; User Id=sa; Password=sambapos; Database=SAMBAPOS4;</ConnectionString><StartMessagingClient>false</StartMessagingClient><DefaultHtmlReportHeader>
&lt;style type='text/css'&gt; 
html
{
  font-family: 'Courier New', monospace;
  font-size: 11px;
} 
&lt;/style&gt;</DefaultHtmlReportHeader><CurrentLanguage>en</CurrentLanguage><OverrideLanguage>false</OverrideLanguage><OverrideWindowsRegionalSettings>false</OverrideWindowsRegionalSettings><DefaultRecordLimit>100</DefaultRecordLimit><WindowScale>1</WindowScale><FooterHeight>0</FooterHeight><UseBoldFonts>false</UseBoldFonts><ValidateExitButton>false</ValidateExitButton><AllowMultipleClients>false</AllowMultipleClients><CallerIdDeviceName /><ScaleDeviceName /><AdditionalDevices>[]</AdditionalDevices><AutoMigrate>true</AutoMigrate><TokenLifeTime /></SettingsObject>

The important piece is this (near the beginning of the file):

<ConnectionString>Data Source=localhost\SQLEXPRESS; User Id=sa; Password=sambapos; Database=SAMBAPOS4;</ConnectionString>

If you are able to login to SambaPOS, you can change your connection String here:

For some reason when I go into my computer and the C drive, it doesn’t have a SambaSettings option

ProgramData is a hidden folder. You need to either set Explorer to show hidden files, or simply type the path into the address bar.

this is how it reads when I go to C:\Program data

<?xml version="1.0"?><SettingsObject xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"><MessagingServerPort>8080</MessagingServerPort><ConnectionString /><StartMessagingClient>false</StartMessagingClient><DefaultHtmlReportHeader>
html
{
} 
&lt;/style&gt;</DefaultHtmlReportHeader><CurrentLanguage>en</CurrentLanguage><OverrideLanguage>false</OverrideLanguage><OverrideWindowsRegionalSettings>false</OverrideWindowsRegionalSettings><DefaultRecordLimit>100</DefaultRecordLimit><WindowScale>1</WindowScale><FooterHeight>0</FooterHeight><UseBoldFonts>false</UseBoldFonts><ValidateExitButton>false</ValidateExitButton><AllowMultipleClients>false</AllowMultipleClients><AutoMigrate>true</AutoMigrate><TokenLifeTime /></SettingsObject>

You need to replace the above with something like this:

<ConnectionString>Data Source=localhost\SQLEXPRESS; User Id=sa; Password=sambapos; Database=SAMBAPOS4;</ConnectionString>

Without knowing how you set up SQL Express, we cannot give better detail. Your Instance name (SQLEXPRESS) may be different, your User Id (sa) and Password (sambapos) may be different (or you may not need them at all if you are using Windows Authentication), and your Database name (SAMBAPOS4) may be different.

This is what I get when I go to hidden files…you see anything that doesn’t look correct?

<?xml version="1.0"?><SettingsObject xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"><MessagingServerPort>8080</MessagingServerPort><ConnectionString /><StartMessagingClient>false</StartMessagingClient><DefaultHtmlReportHeader>
html
{
} 
&lt;/style&gt;</DefaultHtmlReportHeader><CurrentLanguage>en</CurrentLanguage><OverrideLanguage>false</OverrideLanguage><OverrideWindowsRegionalSettings>false</OverrideWindowsRegionalSettings><DefaultRecordLimit>100</DefaultRecordLimit><WindowScale>1</WindowScale><FooterHeight>0</FooterHeight><UseBoldFonts>false</UseBoldFonts><ValidateExitButton>false</ValidateExitButton><AllowMultipleClients>false</AllowMultipleClients><AutoMigrate>true</AutoMigrate><TokenLifeTime /></SettingsObject>

Yes, your Connection String is empty. Read what I previously wrote above.

Thank you. I had made a back up of my computer on Seagate backup plus. If I go to restore. Do you think it will work? I made this before I encountered this problem with Samba.

You should learn how to fix it. Chances are it will happen again since your not sure what your doing just yet.

Thank YOU. I will try to fix it. Thanks for all your help.

Run SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio), and when prompted to Connect, post a screenshot of the dialog.

Connect to the SQL Service, then expand the Databases in the Object Explorer Tree, and post a screenshot.

If you get this far, we can figure out what to do next.

1 Like

I have windows 8. How do I run SSMS?

ok…

OK… Got it. How do I take a screen shot.

I linked to sql management studio and I see two error messages…exported to my documents. It reads…

SQL Server Browser Stopped Other (Boot, System, Disabled or Unknown) NT AUTHORITY\LOCALSERVICE 0
SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) Running Automatic NT Service\MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS 8836 SQL Server
SQL Server Agent (SQLEXPRESS) Stopped Other (Boot, System, Disabled or Unknown) NT AUTHORITY\NETWORKSERVICE 0

Erm, didn’t know this was a computer and OS support forum…

You have a button on your keyboard labelled Prt Scr (or similar). This will copy your screen to the clipboard. You can also hold Alt key then press Prt Scr (Alt-Prt Scr)and it will copy the active window to the clipboard (not your entire screen) - this is generally better because the image will be smaller.

Open Paint or some other graphics program. Hold Ctrl and press V (Ctrl-V) to paste the image into paint. Now you can edit the picture. Press Ctrl-A to select the entire picture. Press Ctrl-C to copy to clipboard.

Start a post in the forum, place you cursor where you want the picture, then press Ctrl-V to upload the image.

1 Like

The SQL Service is not running. You need to start it using the Service Manager. Use search to find it, or go to it via Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.