Add new order tags after order submitted

I have some lunch sets configured using order tags. One part of the lunch set is a drink sold at a discounted rate compared to the normal rate (e.g. Coke is 8.00 on lunch set compared to normal menu price of 15.00.

However my client has highlighted a problem he has, where sometimes a customer will forget to order a drink first time, then ask for it later once the order has been submitted.

Here is an example:

So let’s say the customer has asked for a Coke to be added to Vegetable Curry. Because it’s submitted, I can’t click it and add a new order tag.

I’ve had a similar question from other clients in the past. So I’ve done a few things before:

1. My initial option was void then re-add, but this is very problematic especially if you have multiple order tags on the item and multiple items to change, or if you imagine it happens a few times during a busy lunch time (apparently it’s quite common for customers to forget to order a drink!).
  2. My next-best option was to add a new category that contained the lunch set extras (drinks, etc) that are at the discounted rate. This was the best outcome I could get and it does work, but wondered if there is a better way?

For option 2, in my own opinion, I felt also that adding the additional category for adding discounted rate drinks could potentially open to staff abuse (i.e. just adding drinks from that category for friends instead of the normal drinks category). In that case I thought is there a way to only allow items to be added from the discounted rate drinks category if a lunch set already exists on a ticket?

Any suggestions / better ways ?

Not ideal, well would potentially need some work but the tag order action seems to work on submitted orders (including price)
Also additional thought in that it allows adding a tag to an order/product which tag type isn’t mapped to that product
Could maybe use some custom buttons?

@emre is this know/shold this be permitted?

Also additional thought in that it allows adding a tag to an order/product which tag type isn’t mapped to that product

I just tried it, yeah it lets me add an order tag to a submitted order, however when closing the ticket it doesn’t then trigger that new order to be printed in the kitchen (since that order is already submitted).

Also this would be quite a bit of work setting up for many drinks and not very “client editable” given everything needs to be set up in automation commands.

Automation command with list of values for drinks?

Obviously :stuck_out_tongue: would need to change back to new… not ideal, would personally create a ‘reprint’ state and add another print command and order update on ticket closing to print ‘reorder’ orders in template clearly showing its a reprint and update state to rither remove or change to reprintED.

OR just defind a ‘reprint’ state order template like;
<J00>{QUANTITY} x {NAME}|**REPRINT**
And just keep one template but it would only print the ‘reprint’ orders…

Yeah I tried this at the same time you were typing this :stuck_out_tongue:

Changing back to new is really not good though, I can think of how that can be abused, you’re essentially getting around the void and would then allow orders to be cancelled.

Another issue I found is it will print the whole order again, of course with the new order tag added, not sure if there is any way just to print the newly added order tag?

Could even… might actually implement this as could be a good idea for orders where additions are made, rather than just reprinting the NEW additions…
The above flow, with addition of setting the submitted state to edited.
Print action on ticket closing rule with constrains of;
(ORDER STATE COUNT = edited >0 |OR| ORDER COUNT STATE = new ) > 0 && ORDER STATE COUNT = submitted >0
Action of print bill.
Print bill action for all states

I think if got it right in my head will reprint all mapped products
Ie

1 x Burger
     Chips
     Drink
     Side
1 x Burger                  ** NEW **
     Chips
     Drink
     Side
1 x Burger           ** EDITED**
     Chips
     Drink
     Side
1 x Burger             ** NEW **
     Chips
     Drink
     Side

This it would be better to have it as a separate template but might be possible to use ternary expression to have a ** REPRINT ** header on ticket maybe…

What you think?

Will look to impliment something like this for the hotel ive been doing the PMS intergration for as install for that is late Jan

Personally if it doesn’t happen too often I would just add a Coke at regular price then use modify price to change it to 8.00. I would use ticket logs to track use of button.

2 Likes

Cant see a way to print a tag without an order… if you make sure its clear its a reprint the kitchen should clearly see that an edit has been made.
If not maybe a ticket note automatically added as part of the rule;

order edited to add [:CommandValue]

Yeah I also would think so, and thought same when the first client asked, but today I have the third client ask about same thing and apparently it is causing him “lots of hassle” the way it currently is!

Alternatively…

Do we not have a ‘Clone Order’ action?
Create ticket has clone orders option.

maybe if we had a clone order action we could automate a flow with clone order?
With some extended flow we could clone an order to be ‘new’ voiding the old one giving us a truly unsubmitted order. maybe with an additional state to prevent cancel…

Yeah I tried that already, it only works for the whole ticket and creates a new ticket.

thats a option but , I don’t think this is ideal , what about user restricts? waiters can change all of the items easily ? in that case we dont even need triggered time based price simply change manually , we need some sort of alternative .

Right now I’m thinking about your idea of reprinting, however I don’t know if it’s necessary to reprint the whole ticket again each time (imagine if ticket contained many orders).

A couple thoughts I have:

1. Set order status to reprint, then have a new ticket closing rule print those currently at reprint status and then update them back to submitted.
  2. What does this do: Order Tag Note ? Maybe it could be used somehow to flag those order tags that need to be reprinted, then along with a separate printer template could possibly just print those order tags flagged for reprinting?

I can’t see any Order Tag Note on the Order Tags editor:

1 Like

I was just thinking that when it comes to tickets still being prepped rather than have 2 tickets on the pass they just swap the old one for the new one which emphasizes the ‘NEW’ / ‘EDDITED’ orders.

There is an order tag note tag in printer templates so could if nothing else use it to show exactly which tag is new :slight_smile:

Its not DESCRIPTION is it?

EDIT - No it isnt LOL Although saying that help shows {ORDER TAG NOTE:x} not sure what we should put for x on this…

Nope, it is separate from description.

I added description as “description” and note as “note”. This is how it is displayed on screen:

Printed it just shows “Coke”

So Order Tag Note might be an internal value we could utilise ?

@emre any issue about using this?

Ok so Order Tag Note works and on my reprint I can set the printer template like this:

[ORDER TAGS]
<J00>     * {ORDER TAG NAME} [** [{ORDER TAG NOTE}] **]

Or even if I want, I can create a new printer template just for these new ones:

[ORDER TAGS]
[<J00>     * {ORDER TAG NAME} ** [{ORDER TAG NOTE}] **]

However it is problematic because I can’t remove the Order Tag Note afterwards, so in a scenario where a Coke was added then submitted, then subsequently another drink was added again later using the same method, any time that order prints again it will show all those added in this way with ** New **.

1 Like

What were you planning to use it for?
If you update it as part of the action to add the tag to submitted order.
Update it to Addedor something and Mars order with ** EDITED ** will reprint the edited order and show the new tag :slight_smile:

Could you do maybe select all orders, update tag with constraint of ORDER TAG NOTE == ** NEW **
And update note to blank?