BarberShop - assigning haircuts to users/entities

I love a new challenge, my Barber came in and looked at my till yesterday. He questioned how it would be possible to see how much each barber took without them having to use the till… as there is a till person on there at the moment.

Potentially this could be quite lucrative for me as he has a few barber shops.

The general flow would be, each user has a FOB and logs in as and when.

The user clicks on the item “Haircut” (for example) and we get a popup listing the users who are clocked in for that day.

The user clicks the barber who performed that haircut

Sale competes

The user could be anyone, as… generally when they are busy there is someone on the till and the barbers dont take their own money whilst their trying to rifle through all the customers.

End of the day, a report is made and the owner can see the value of haircuts produced by each barber and cn pay commission based upon the sale (or even better, later on have the POS calculate the commission)

Any ideas? Complex I believe

Matt

I guess it’ll sort of work like a loyalty, with each haircut adding points to custom entity data of each barber which after a report is made gets deleted?

I was aproached by a barber a while back, the main challange against specific saloon software is booking/reservations although a barbershop might be less likely to do bookings just check he isnt expecting that as this is an area samba might struggle without serious work.

Na he isn’t wanting that. It’s purely walk-in only.

It’s just to make sure every haircut is assigned to a stylist.

I was wondering if it’s something accounts might do but I’ve never worked with accounts.

Matt

Thinking about it… I could do it as an order tag.

Senior stylists cost more than junior… we still get pop up and easier to do a report

Sounds like a prettt straight forward approach to be honest.
Id tackle it like this.

1. Create an auto user logout feature. Make it logout with a delay after each transaction in case he gets another client.
  2. Create individual user logins and assign difference price tag based on role level of user.
  3. Then just put all type of haircuts and products in.
  4. Change department to create ticket instead of entity.
  5. Create a custom report which brings up a tally of each haircut or style done by each employee.

This way… a stylist gets a client walk in…
Haircut is done. They then approach till and login with their own login… complete their transaction and simply go to next client.
The system would auto logout,ready to use for next person.

The tickettag approach can also be done if user logins isnt desired, we can use the entity screen to create a new ticket, and force employee selection before a transaction is done. But this method will require some rules and actions to assign the correct prices to each stylist.

Many ways this can be done. It’s not hard at all when you think about what work flow they use.

Commission calculation is the only minor complication that would involve configuration. But the rest seems like a straightforward approach unless they want to track other information and more functionality like loyalty points per client.
Then they could assign a customer to a stylist via customer selection screen and process the transaction

The stylist doesn’t use till. It’s the till operator that need to assign each haircut to a stylist.

A father and son come in. Both have different stylists but want to pay same transaction.

Product tag is the only option here I’m sure. At least we can report how much of a tag is sold?

How about adding one product called "Haircut’, and then under Portions add all of the stylists.

That way the stylists are seperated on the daily report, and commission can be calculated upon that. Using order tags I’m not sure they’ll show up in your reports properly.

This is an example using portions instead of order tags.

And this is how they’ll show up in the report (must use item sales report though)

1 Like

I was thinking that but if I was to have that pop up it would say “select portion” whereas if I did tags I could customise it completely

I have an ask question popup to select portion and its fully customisable, i dont have anything that says select portion

So you could do that with each product and have the portion as the stylist with their price, ask questions pops up, select the stylist and complete sale, you wont even see the select portion screen appear on the right hand side you can disable that :grinning:

2 Likes

I guess this brainstorm has figured how I’m going to do it.

I’ll start working on it next week and give him a quote on the work.

Cheers guys x

I don’t know why you would bother using Portions for something that is actually an Entity. If you use Portions for this, it means that whenever you hire/fire a barber, you will need to revise the Portions for every Haircut Product to remove or add Portions.

Just use a Barber/Hair Dresser/Employee Entity Type.

Use an Entity Custom Data field to set their commission based on a fixed value or percentage or whatever, and have that amount transferred to their associated Account when the Ticket is Paid.

Use an Entity Custom Data field called “Active” (or similar) and set it to True/False (or 1/0) to indicate if the Barber is still employed and available.

Filter the Entity Screen for Barber selection by the “Active” field being equal to “1”.

1 Like

That’s the route I had in my head to start. Have the stylist clock in and then have the popup with those stylists logged in showing.

But how can I assign the different prices to each stylist and how can 2 stylists be active on a single transaction?

Without getting into the “why” of the question, if the above is necessary, then you should use Order Tags. Probably Free Tagging for the Stylist Name and surcharge Amount.

Why would 2 Stylists be active on a single “transaction”?

What do you consider to be a “transaction”? Do you mean Ticket? Do you mean Order?

I would guess he means two hair cuts by two stylists on the same ticket.

1 Like

Because it’s not the stylists taking payments it’s the till operator.

If a father and son goes in and father to 1 stylist and son to another… likely they’ll want to pay together.

Ok, so use Orders Tags to set the Stylist and Price.

You can still use Entity definitions to load the Entity (but not assign them to the Ticket) and match the Order Tag to make payments to Entity Accounts when the Ticket is Paid. Or you can just run an Order Tag Report to get your totals per Stylist for the day, or week, or month.

1 Like

Take a look at what I did with order tags and commission here. What I created allows different employees to have different commissions depending on the type of product sold and the particular person (some people can get higher commission). It also caters for discounts applied through order tags and to the whole ticket.

2 Likes