Building a system from scratch

Auto Completion feature disallows that. I changed how it works. For next refresh please let me know if it better fits the case. If not we can roll it back.

1 Like

You lost me here. Why in the world would you do that? I can understand running installation with no products or menu, but the default States and Automation are there for a reason. They form a baseline operational system.

Are you suggesting the default install should be changed in this regard? To something ā€œbetterā€ or ā€œmore completeā€?

No I did it as just a practice not any practical reason. I never planned to use it live it was something I wanted to do. It really did help me with several understandings that I did not have before I did it.

I was not sure what I would find when I started it but for sure if I found a method that worked better I would have shared it with Emre however that really didnt happen.

EDIT: Something interesting though that I found is how Tasks can be used in place of States for some things and it works quite well.

1 Like

OOH @Emre current beta works great with this. Thank you! I typed report and it pulled up all actions with word Report in them.

1 Like

In regards documentation I think what would be good is an official list of actions and rule events where we can fill in as needed.
Not been on the wiki for a while but in general I often find it hard as there is no one place to go to link from.
An example is report tags, I always end up on emres v4 tutorial which is obviously not complete when comes to v5.
Somewhere we need to have a list of things like that which is going to need to be provided by emre covering al available options.
Report expressions is another good idea.
The expression ā€˜try it and seeā€™ comes up too often I think but this is because we do not have a full list of possibilities.
I know not everything is literally programed one by one but some form of official list I think would be good covering as examples;
Actions
Rule events
Report tags
Report expressions
Expressions for constraints and events when valid

I have offered before and is consistently on my mind but as we all know time is money and I for one struggle for free time to dedicate to the forum not for lack of wanting to :slight_smile:

My origional question when asked about wiki was about offering info for checking / consolidation
I think a good way might be a list, we all fill in blanks as we can and in a few months will have a load of content which can be refined and copied over to the wiki etc

1 Like

https://www.sambapos.com/wiki/doku.php/custom_reporting

That is the central placeā€¦ or thatā€™s the idea at least. We just need to help Emre and contribute to it. I would rather him work on features and next version vs take a break and write documentation.

I wasnā€™t suggesting emre write documentation but provide us a plain list of available functionsand more importantly new added functions so that a full documentation which doesnā€™t rely on cross referencing beta topics and threads where things get added if that makes sence.

1 Like

He has been providing new added functions in release notes. Regardless of how you view itā€¦ what your asking for requires him to stop what he is doing and document. I mean if thats what we really want I am sure he would do that.

I agree, and I love the way the list of Actions automatically drops down when starting to type ā€¦

EDIT: @emre, it would be nice if it was the same with the Events in the Rules, but alas, this is not (yet?) the case ā€¦

4 Likes