Complex Full Serviced Restaurant Scenario

To get you started, have a look at these, or search for “courses” in the Forum (that’s what I did)…

http://forum.sambapos.com/t/kitchen-display-v2-courses-seats/1495

Thanks @gerlandog, but that doesn’t really work for my scenario.

Thanks @QMcKay, I’ve looked through those previously but they don’t really work in my setting. I won’t be using the kitchen displays and so I would need the kitchen to be alerted via tickets sent by the waiter. The closest option is the manually separating courses, but that would mean my whole product list will have to be merged as one and the solution is not very efficient.

Could there by any other way around this?

Hello @joegwell. Since your scenario is slightly unique none of these solutions will perfectly fit to your issue. However all current implementations already contains answers you need. I know that works a little different on SambaPOS but to be able to handle complex scenarios I’ll strongly recommend you to learn how SambaPOS automation features works.

I’ve prepared a sample SDF file to demonstrate you how you can solve your first question. Please check how I’ve configured default courses for products, how I can change course by clicking order line, how Serve button works and how Courses screen displays tickets.

data32.zip (122.2 KB) (installing V4.1.41 required)

It is a little time consuming to prepare a step by step documentation for all cases so sorry for just sending you a database file but I hope it will help. Thank you very much for detailing your questions with diagrams and feel free to ask anything you don’t understand there.

I hope more people sends us their implementations so we’ll have more samples here.

Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks @emre!

I’ve just tried it and it works very well, more or less does exactly as I require. I will look into making some modifications. Namely:

1. Getting it to print a complete list of all the items ordered straight to kitchen first (in order for them to prepare the other courses while the starters are being eaten)

2. Adding more courses, (for possibly Starters 1,2,3, Mains 1,2,3 etc)

Is there any easy way to import my old menu and restaurant table layout into this version (i.e. copying over some files)?

THANKS AGAIN!!!

If you own Database Tools module I’ve prepared an import file to import my configuration into your database. Please create a backup, import that file and configure default courses for products. Regarding (1) it will also send kitchen print when you first close ticket. If needed you can also change Kitchen Orders Template to group items by course. Thanks.

Courses2.zip (2.3 KB)

Thanks for the quick reply @emre.

I managed to add extra courses functionality now. But I still can’t get it to print the whole order to the kitchen on first close ticket. Do I need to edit the template? I have named the Default courses to Starter1, Starter2, Starter3, Main1, Main2, Main 3,Desert1, Desert2, and Drinks.

[LAYOUT]
Ticket
Date:{TICKET DATE}
Time:{TIME}
Table:{ENTITY NAME:Table}
Ticket No:{TICKET NO}
-
{ORDERS}

[ORDERS]
- {QUANTITY} {NAME}
{ORDER TAGS}

[ORDERS:Void]
- {QUANTITY} {NAME}|Void
{ORDER TAGS}

[ORDER TAGS]
– Format for order tags
* {ORDER TAG NAME}

I’ve added:

[LAYOUT]
Ticket
Date:{TICKET DATE}
Time:{TIME}
Table:{ENTITY NAME:Table}
Ticket No:{TICKET NO}
-
{ORDERS}

[ORDERS]

[ORDERS:Starter1]
- {QUANTITY} {NAME}
{ORDER TAGS}

[ORDERS:Starter2]
- {QUANTITY} {NAME}
{ORDER TAGS}

[ORDERS:Starter3]
- {QUANTITY} {NAME}
{ORDER TAGS}

[ORDERS:Main1]
- {QUANTITY} {NAME}
{ORDER TAGS}

[ORDERS:Main2]
- {QUANTITY} {NAME}
{ORDER TAGS}

[ORDERS:Main3]
- {QUANTITY} {NAME}
{ORDER TAGS}

[ORDERS:Desert1]
- {QUANTITY} {NAME}
{ORDER TAGS}

[ORDERS:Desert2]
- {QUANTITY} {NAME}
{ORDER TAGS}

[ORDERS:Drinks]
- {QUANTITY} {NAME}
{ORDER TAGS}

[ORDERS:Void]
- {QUANTITY} {NAME}|Void
{ORDER TAGS}

[ORDER TAGS]
– Format for order tags
* {ORDER TAG NAME}

But it still doesn’t print a complete list to the kitchen. What could be wrong?

Try including Execute Kitchen Orders Print Job action in Ticket Closing Rule. It should work first on selected actions list.

Cool!! Thanks @emre. That works perfectly now. I’ve managed to split the ticket print out to separate the items by groups, but can’t figure out how to order them in the course order it should be. How do I add an additional course tag in order to make the template categorize it according to my numbering?

I was thinking to add a number in front of the courses (e.g. 1Starter1, 2Starter2,3Main1,4Main2 etc…), but it will look very confusing for the waiter.

Thanks again!!

On Update Order Course action State Order setting defines sort order. For example it should be 1 for Starter, 2 for Main and 3 for Deserts. Since we read default course from product tag you can create an additional product tag to set a number for order. You should also update Update Order Course action to read product tag for sort order like we read course from product page.

Great stuff @emre. The ordering is sorted out now.

But:

1. I am facing a problem where I have different categories for the menu.

I have some beef, chicken and seafood dishes, all of which are supposed to be served as mains. But when order is sent. Instead of the category group showing as “Main Course 1”, I am getting ‘Beef’ with all the dishes selected under it (even all the chicken and sides). It is using the first dish selected as the group name.

1. the switching of the default courses doesn’t seem to be doing anything (i.e. I change a main course to be served as a starter, but it still prints out under mains).

Thanks again!

Sorry guys, can anyone offer any help/advice? Been working at this through the weekend, but still can’t get it to work. :frowning:

@joegwell probably something misconfigured or there might be syntax error but it is too hard to guess what might be wrong. Adding some screenshots or additional information that might help us to understand the issue will help a lot.

@emre How to print all course on 1 ticket with section header.

For Example:

- Starter -
  • 1 starter 1

• 1 starter 2

- Main -

• 1 main 1

• 1 main 2

If I use template

[ORDERS]

• {QUANTITY} {NAME}
    {ORDER TAGS}

[ORDERS:Starter2]

• {QUANTITY} {NAME}
    {ORDER TAGS}

[ORDERS:Starter3]

• {QUANTITY} {NAME}
    {ORDER TAGS}

I will just print:

• 1 starter 1
  • 1 starter 2
  • 1 main 1
  • 1 main 2

Thank you,
Sukasem

I beleive something like:

[ORDERS]
<C00>**Starter**
- {QUANTITY} {NAME}
{ORDER TAGS}

[ORDERS:Main1]
<C00>**Main**
- {QUANTITY} {NAME}
{ORDER TAGS}

[ORDERS:Dessert1]
<C00>**Dessert**
- {QUANTITY} {NAME}
{ORDER TAGS}

Basically try inserting <C00>Section Header Name after your [ORDERS:x] tag

Hi @kendash,
Thank you for fast response,
What that template it will produce

**Starter**
- 1 Starter Item 1
                         **Starter**
- 1 Starter Item 2

and so on....

So it did not work I take it?

This topic will give some useful idea about the solution.

Hi Emre,

What tag I have to use to refer to group by Custom Tags.
I try:

[ORDERS GROUP|PRODUCT TAG]
{GROUP KEY}
I doesn’t work. PRODUCT TAG refer to Tag, not Custom tags.

[ORDERS GROUP|PRODUCT GROUP]
{GROUP KEY}
It groups by Group Code and does have section name (Group code) as well.

Thank you,
Sukasem

Opps,
Found it in Course Display:

[ORDERS GROUP|ORDER STATE:Course]

Thank you,
That is awesome

Hi @emre,

How to sort Group key by [ORDERS GROUP|ORDER STATE:Course]? I have read that John suggest to use number to sort product in product tag but not in this case.
Right now order sorted by the first Course state that add to order I believe.

For example: If I enter Noodle (Main course) then Spring Rolls (Starter), it will print
::::Main:::::
1 Noodle

::::Starter::::
1 Spring Rolls

I think another way to solve this category sorting things is to allow multiple replacement tag {ORDER} for ex, {ORDER1}, {ORDER2}… So, I can print whatever I need in each section. Or have option to sort group key by letter/number.

Thank you,
Sukasem