Feature Request - Prefix

Thanks Mark, that’s great perspective.

We have multiple prefixes and only the extra means that cost is maintained, so it’s a little more complicated than that for us… but i like the idea.

I know about the cloning, but it would mean re entering all the prices for the other groups. It could be the lessor of two evils i guess.

I’ll take a think about it. Thanks again!

I actually had a think about this and i think the best overall solution would be the ability to map order tags to portions. That would make the administration far easier, so if you duplicate a tag for a prefix, you only need to do it once, and then you can add different prices based on portions.

thoughts ?

I’m pretty sure this is possible.

Yes, tags can be mapped to portions. However beleive you do need to set a product when using portion.

I think he meant prefixes mapped to portions

no meant order tags to portions, but in the same way that you can have multiple prices for the same product, you should be able to have multiple prices for the same order tag in the same order tag group.

that way, taking my example, you could create one order tag group for “pizza extras” and then create all of the order tags with or without relevant prefixes, and then give them each a unique price based on the portion that is selected. Instead of having to manage multiple groups, which are all effectively duplicates, simply to have different prices for different potions.

Hope that makes sense.

That is possible now. It is exactly what I did in the example I posted above.

You can do that by having 2 order tag groups. Exactly like I did. I really don’t see why that would not work for you? You have 2 order tag groups for each portion, they are duplicate. On the duplicate one you change the prices. It takes you maybe 1-2 minutes work? Then surely I don’t think you are changing your toppings and toppings prices much, so if you change your toppings prices it takes you a few minutes to update. If you need to add the new topping and price to each, probably take you about 1 minute per topping?

I really don’t see the problem here. You want the system to be redesigned to accommodate a few minutes of time saving for you and there is really very few people this would benefit while it would take a lot more time to develop the functionality that benefits very few people while at the same time possibly complicating many other things across the system and potentially causing issues with other people’s existing setups.

2 Likes

Excellent guide @markjw I believe you demonstrated it perfectly.

If your creating your pos system expect to spend some time to get it right.

In my setup I have nearly 50 order tags. You got to put the groundwork in initially.

2 Likes

We will always look for ways to speed up the configuring. We need to be sure it solves problems for the majority of use cases though. We have to really be careful that we don’t implement something that is useful for only a few.

1 Like

i’m confused here guys, you said earlier that the ability for a prefix to either apply the price or not apply the price is something that has been requested before and that you should brain storm it.

I was discussing and looking at alternatives.

@markjw, your example is great, but for us we have 50+ order tags across 5 different sizes, and we have about 3 or 4 different prefixes that can apply, so while changing the prices is one thing, keeping them in sync across the order tag groups and then duplicating with prefixes is an administrative nightmare. To add an “extra” prefix now, i’d have to duplicate and then reenter the price of more than 250 order tags, and make sure i keep them all in sync.

But you are right that it’s up to you guys whether or not it’s worthwhile providing this functionality for your customer base.

Not really because it would make more sense to just add that extra tag to the tag groups already created.
Mark’s sugestion speeds up the creation initially, it isnt a maintenance method…
Surely any other system you would still have to create additional tags in this way? If they have different prices then they would need setting as no system would decide the price for you.

Dont know enough about your setup. If tags were relative is a pragmatic way you could possibly look at whipping up some script to replicate tags from one group to another or something like that.

How often do you edit your tags? Its surely not a daily thing. Which they comes back to a common question of it’s more efficient to just do manually as setting up something automated that is specific to your needs isnt efficient vs just doing it.

What are the prefixes?

Could you maybe share some screenshots of how you have the order tags setup currently on an item - on the POS screen when selecting the item, not setting screens.

No I think your misunderstanding. Its not up to us, yes its true we decide what to finally implement but the real decider is our community. We have hundreds of thousands of restaurants using Sambapos every day. Seeing something requested 1 or 10 or even 100x on the forum or other means is not enough sometimes as we need to be sure those hundreds of thousands of restaurants are not affected by any changes we make, and also we need to be sure its meaningful changes that will be used by many not just 1 or 2.

First we should see if we can help you solve your problem with our toolset and it may mean exploring alternatives to what you feel it should be. The best way to do that is to explain your entire business operation and why it is important you feel that the only way to operate effectively is with this feature. We will listen and try to understand how we can adapt it for you.

We have thousands of pizza shops using SambaPOS. And no this specific feature has not been brought up much but that doesnt mean its not important it really means maybe we can help you be more efficient with your business.

When we introduce features we also have to support them. So there is much more at stake than just adding features. Its a long term investment and each feature adds to that.

4 Likes

Thanks guys. I guess my point is that these systems are often organically grown over time, so had i know better how the system worked at the start, i would have simply created the “extra” prefix and duplicated it. But now going back and doing it for all is alot of effort and you then obviously need to ensure that they are kept in sync should any changes be made.

We probably change our order tags once a month, responding to different customer requests. Obviously that was alot more often when we first set it up. I’ve included a typical screen shot below so you can see the optionality we deal with. I guess my next step will be to go through the process of copying and pasting each of the tags to finally get the “extra” button we really do need.

Thanks again for all your help. Happy to discuss further as required.