GC Sales & Redemption

Everything is going good. But I don’t like the way the Transactions are taking place.

I don’t want the Purchase of a GC to appear as a Sales Transaction at all (even if the Sales account is Debited/Credited); that is, the Sales Account should not be touched. I don’t think I care if Receivables Account is used (debited/credited) in the process.

@emre, can you please elaborate on the type of Account setup that you mentioned to track GC Sales separately in it’s own account, with its own transactions:

I’m trying to get this to work properly, but I’m running around in circles…

I’m lost. Accounts, Transaction Types, and Document Types confuse me.

This is the way I hope for it to appear:

Account Type: GC Sale & Redemption
Account: GC Sales … to hold a total of GCs sold/purchased
Account: GC Redemptions … to hold a total of redeemed GC balances
(or maybe I don’t need a GC Redemptions Account)

Account Type: GC Accounts
Account: GC20140605223050300
Account: GC20140606223050100
Account: GC20140607223050500
Account: GC20140607223050200
etc.

When the Sale/Purchase of a GC occurs, say GC20140608223050700:
Debit: GC Sales by 700… Balance=700
Credit: GC Redemptions by 700… Balance=(700)
Credit: GC20140608223050700 by 700 … Balance=(700)
Debit: Cash (or Credit Card or Customer Account) by 700… Balance=700
LeaveAlone: Sales Account … Balance=0

When a GC is redeemed in part or in full, say GC20140608223050700 is redeemed for 500
Debit: GC Redemptions by 500 … Balance=(200)
Debit: GC20140608223050700 by 500… Balance=(200)
Credit: Sales Account by 500… Balance=500

I’m almost there, but it’s backwards, and I don’t know why…
Here I’ve Purchased a GC for 100, but the Debits/Credits for the GC Accounts are backwards, and the Balances are inverted:

I don’t know if it helps but if you supply a negative amount to account transactions that will invert amounts. That means it will convert -100 Debit to 100 Credit.

Update Order Action have Account Transaction Type setting. So you can clone GC Sales transaction type form Sales transaction and execute Update Order action whenever a GC order added to ticket.

Someone please tell me, does this look correct? Or should I have some things reversed, or portions of funds being transferred in a different manner? I’m not an Accountant, but it mostly makes sense, though I’m not completely sure.

This was the flow:
Selected a GC500 Product with a value of 500.
Settled the Ticket for the GC500 Product using Cash [500].

… then …

Selected some Other Product with a total value of 200.
Selected the GC500 (GC201406091128809500) to use as Payment.
Settled the Ticket for the Other Product using GC500 [200].

At the end we have:
Sales Account (Other Product) with balance (200).
Cash Account (GC500 Product) with balance 500.
GC Purchases Income Account (income from GC500 Product purchase) with balance 500.
GC Sales Account (GC500 Product) to track GCs sold/purchased with balance (500).
GC500 Account showing Credit 500 (when it was purchased) and Debit 200 (when it was partially redeemed for payment of Other Product, for a total balance (300).

Seems fine to me except GC Purchases account. Why you need that?

I’m not sure why I need it, LOL! I made the Account to avoid the NULL Account seen here:

Further to this, if I had simply made the flow of buying a GC with Cash like this:

Then the GC Sales Balance would be ZERO, so I couldn’t track GC Purchases by the Balance.

Maybe this is better terminology shown below:

What do you think?
Maybe when I Redeemed the GC500, I should do one of the following (but not both)…
GC Income Account should be Credited 200 so it’s Balance is 300 ?
… or …
GC Purchases Account should be Debited 200 so it’s Balance is (300) ?

How about this? Feel free to tell me if I’m getting out of control :stuck_out_tongue:

Purchase GC500 for 500, and GC1000 for 1000, Settle using partial Cash (700), and partial Credit Card (800):

Purchase Other Product for 600, Settle using total GC500 (500), and partial GC1000 (100):

General Accounts: notice the GC500 is not listed, because it was fully redeemed (balance=0):

Gift Certificates: notice the GC500 is not listed, because it was fully redeemed (balance=0):

My Report:

I think it’s time to implement this setup in my Production Server. Any thoughts?

Good luck @QMcKay :smiley:

@QMcKay I liked how you organized accounts. I’d merge GC Purchases and GC Income and track these amounts through debit and credit totals however this is not a rule. Account planning should be done according to business needs. The best solution is how you feel better with. I’m looking forward to your feedbacks about production use. Have fun :slight_smile:

Something is wrong here. I seem to remember this not happening in the past.

Can you tell me how to avoid this? The Gift Certificate Payment Type should not be enabled in this case, since the GC Account (500) does not have enough funds to Pay the Ticket in full (550) …

If I click Gift Certificate as payment, the GC Account will be overdrawn by 50!

but you could pay 500 with GC and 50 in cash or credit???

G.

I can, but that isn’t the issue. The Gift Certificate Payment Type Button should be Disabled at this point, since I Entered 550 into the NUMPAD (or clicked “All”) to populate the “Charged” field.

The button should only become Enabled when "Charged" field <= GC Account Balance

Ok, I figured out how to prevent it from becoming enabled. I had changed this in my setup, but shouldn’t have. The original Tutorial by @JohnS has this set correctly.

The Rules for the GC Account Type must not be Default, instead it must be Credit.

See the difference? The Gift Certificate Payment Type Button is Disabled

hey all,
I’ve been using V2 for quite a while. Aside from reporting issues its been very stable.
I’m in the process of moving to V4. I have managed to get the GC working as your instructions have been clear… however I need to get the sale of new GC out of sales and into their own account. That’s where I got lost.
What and how do I need to set up a GC account that carries the purchase of the gift card when they are purchased as opposed to tendered as payment.

Thanks

This Topic was used to discuss these very things.

Following this, a Tutorial was created that shows everything you need to do in order to keep them out of the Sales Account, and how to use them when used as Tender (Payment Type). You can find it here:

Wow…thanks for the speedy reply…somehow it was working fairly well already aside from this accounting issue. I appreciate the speedy reply.
I’ll let you know if even a non technical dude like me can get it working.
Cheers
Steve

It’s a lengthy setup, but well worth the time to go through it (IMO) since you may learn some great things along the way.

It may be one of the most involved setups available here, and it uses some of the more advanced features of SambaPOS, which is very rewarding.

One of these days, I may re-write the Automation (naming conventions) to facilitate easy export to a DB Tools file that you can just “plug-in” to your system. But as-is in it’s current state, it forces users to become intimate with the power and inner-workings of SambaPOS that every serious user should know.

hmmmm…when adding a new Document Type GC Accounts does not appear in drop down menu…
Ive checked prior steps multiple times and all have been entered correctly

Sorry to be a pain

Do you need to create a GC Accounts under add account for this to then show in document types

1 Like