Help setting up SQL Server and convert SDF file to it

v2.99

I could delete it and download same version I am working on though

You would need to have same version your working on. Also do you know if your working with Localdb install or SQL server? If your not sure log into samba and then double click the icon in upper left and look at the windows title bar it would say SQ out to right if its running SQL

oh boy…
log into samba on the new machine I want to back up or the machine I want to load it onto so I can continue working on it

The one your working on now. We need to determine if your running SQL Server or not. This is so we can give you good advice on how to backup.

when I shrinki the software window and just glide over it it shows;
SambaPOS 4 [App: 4.1.77] [2014-11-12 6:58:00 AM] [DB:78-78] CE

You are using Compact Edition which is still supported but by default SambaPOS no longer uses it. The default setup is LocalDB which is SQL Server Express. If your upgrading your system I recommend migrating it to SQL Server 2014.

You can get detailed instructions on setup and how to migrate the CE database over to it here:

Once you get it switched over to SQL Express backup and restore is very simple and can be done from within SambaPOS if you purchase the module. Can also be done with Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.

SQL Server offers more advanced functions of SambaPOS4 that CE can not offer.

sounds dumb…but how do I know which version to download

I explained that in the tutorial. I recommend ExpressAdv 64BIT\SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe This is the version I used for the tutorial.

The tablet SAMBA lives on is a 32 bit operating system, x64-based processor
does that matter?

Then get the 32bit version. 64bit wont work unless you have 64bit version windows.

ok…I’ll try it now

1 Like

Once you get it all migrated over and working. You should upgrade to latest version 4.1.82

BTW the second half of that tutorial explains how to migrate CE to SQL

ummmm
Completed above tutorial…remaining somewhat calm but when I open samba its as though I just downloaded it. None of my changes exist…

Sorry for late response was outside putting a trampoline together for my daughter.

You did convert the sdf file right? Did you set your connection string? Dont worry you have not lost anything lol. We just got to get it connected to the db now.

Open SambaPOS and go to Settings/Local Settings and look at data connection string. What does it say there?

The last part of tutorial is very vague about it. Did you manage to create your database and run the query you created from your sdf file? If not did you go through last half of tutorial? Can you open your Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio connect to your database and take a screenshot?

It would look like this:

data connection string on samba is:
Data Source=localhost\SAMBAPOS; Database=SambaPOS;

not sure about converting sdf file? I didn’t see an instruction for that

ok…so I guess I should have opened the tutorial link… I was just using the instructions above…so sorry

I will follow the rest of the instructions and report back…

I wish I was more technically inclined.
When I follow the second half of the tutorial and right click on Data Connections in Compact Toolbox the option to select 'Add SQL Server Compact 3.5 Connection is not available for me to select…its there but I cant select it

I used compact toolbox for runtime 4.0 it allowed me to browse but when I test the connection it gives me an error

the good thing is I don’t like to sit idle
so while waiting I figured out the problem
haha…disregard previous issues as I seem to be getting through them