Help setting up SQL Server and convert SDF file to it

I wish I was more technically inclined.
When I follow the second half of the tutorial and right click on Data Connections in Compact Toolbox the option to select 'Add SQL Server Compact 3.5 Connection is not available for me to select…its there but I cant select it

I used compact toolbox for runtime 4.0 it allowed me to browse but when I test the connection it gives me an error

the good thing is I don’t like to sit idle
so while waiting I figured out the problem
haha…disregard previous issues as I seem to be getting through them

ok…unable to perform the last step…

Open SQL Management Studio. Create new Database, Create new Query, Copy & Paste everything that file contains inside Query editing window and execute Query. That will create tables and data.

What do I do to initiate "create new database’?

Right-click Databases folder then click New Database...

Database name? and then?

Type in a name for the DB and click Ok…

Gives me an error indicating that database already exists…is there somewhere I’m supposed to paste the script?

Click New Query
Paste script in window
Click Execute

1 Like

ok… THANKS!!
I changed the Database in property editor for local settings to SambaPOS4…that seems to be working now.

Do I need to have SQL Server Management running all the time now?
Or can I just have Samba running on its own?

sql server management is just a tool the server runs in background as a windows service.

SSMS is just a tool to manage databases.

No.

Yes.

Ok…
This is all on a tablet I will be using in my café. For backup and fine tuning am I able to create the same image of samba on a laptop using Database backup to a thumb drive

yes the database can be backed up and installed on another computer. You can use the same management tool.

OK…
Thanks to you and kendash for all your help

1 Like