How to view the sdf file?

Hi all,

I just tried to view the sdf file in a third party app, but lots of the tables appeared empty ! Actually I tried 3 different apps so it can’t be the app at fault.

For example the ‘accounts’ and ‘users’ tables are populated but the ‘entities’ and ‘tickets’ tables are empty. There should be loads of tickets to view ! And work periods is empty, again there should be loads of work periods.

Where’s all the data ?

Thank you.

What you should be doing is converting the sdf to SQL and use SQL with MSSMS to view the data. SDF is not recommended it slows down considerably over time and is prone to more frequent data loss as well as not supporting several features in SambaPOS.

If your connected to the SDF and all your data is there inside SambaPOS then yes it most definitely can be the app because your data is there…but you wouldn’t need to use a third party software if you were using SQL Express.

Thank you very much for the replies. Rather embarrassingly I was trying to view the wrong file !
I had both sdf file and mdf file, its the mdf I want to look at ! The sdf file is pretty empty so the apps I was using were indeed reading the file correctly.

What is the best mdf viewer please ?

Ok so are you using SQL Express? LocalDb or CE? If you have a MDF that means your using SQL Express either LocalDB or Full Express and you would use Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio to connect to the database. SQL Express is not a single file database like CE(SDF).

Can I ask what the reason for needing access to the database is? Its obvious you are new to this and I would caution you because you can completely cripple your database if your not sure what you are doing.

Thank you for your help, don’t worry this is all being done on a back up of the mdf file, I will download mngt studio and have a play, thanks again.