Knowing how many times a specific button has been pressed

There is a new feature called Add Task you can store the information that way. I will demonstrate it.

The program setting side is the same.
Although I think the update type should be increase rater than update.
That will keep a tally of number of times.

The add line to file cation will log details of each event.

OH not used the add task kendash mentioned - could be even better solution.
I woud be intrigued to see an example of its use.

I wouldnā€™t mind giving it ago in v5 as eventually I would want the client to use v5. But for the mean time I think if I could at least set it up to work for v4, then once Iā€™m ready to deploy v5 onto the clientā€™s machine, and if they choose to go with it(I donā€™t see any reason they wouldnā€™t want to) then I can have that set up using the new feature Add Task. But Iā€™ll definitely try it on v5 once you demonstrated it, I think something like this would be ideal for medium sized enterprises as many managers and franchise owners could use something like this, which in a sense itā€™s quite similar to how the Gift and Void buttons work and is recorded, except that it adds to the already powerful functionality v5.

Ok I have a quick tutorial on how to set it up without changing what I showed you. One minute.

PS: Update Type should be Increase not update I will correct that.

Create an Add Task action

Create a Task Type - I used Log Button Use as name do not worry about adding fields just create the name.

In your Automation Command Executed rule for your button you want to log insert the new action and fill it out as shown

:warning: Actually thinking about itā€¦ we do not even need the program setting at allā€¦ We can do this entire thing with the Add Task and use Reports to pull data needed.

I am remaking itā€¦ but leaving some of my work it might show you a thing or two.

OK get rid of the program setting completely. Keep the Add Task I showed youā€¦ will show screenshots in minute.

Haha ok. im going to try that in a few minutes. Iā€™ll let you know how it goes. :smiley: Thanks guys, really appreciate the help.

Can the same thing be done in v4? or should i follow the tutorial for v4?

Let me explain Add task a little better. You might find its what you want and you might use it for more things. One moment. Add task is v5 only.

That is the result when I put {TICKET TOTAL} for Task Content and i put Tendered Total={TENDERED TOTAL} for Task Custom Fields

If you notice it is logging a table you design basically. You can pull this data up in reports.

You can create as many custom fields as you want and log whatever you want. You notice the button name is Name column,

Here is what it looks like if you want to make a custom screen to view this data without using reportsā€¦

SSHOT comingā€¦

1 Like

I can see how powerful this add task can be for v5. Aside from the last print screen, can the rules and actions still apply the same effect in v4? Or is that also part of add task for v5?

The rules are the same in v4ā€¦ you can do the update program setting in v4 but if you delete it after WP close then you lose it. Add task is new and we are still working with it and improving it. Its very powerful it would be great to see more people start playing with it.

I think Setting Deletion is a V5 feature.

1 Like

Yes sorry I should explain that better. Setting Deletion is v5 only as well.

I am curious though are you only trying v5 and not decided yet or are you planning to still use v4?

Im testing out v5 at the moment, though i would need this feature in v4 as a few clients have asked for this feature are still running v4 with no intention to upgrade as of yet. So ive still got to learn as much as i can for current and future clients. So currently i want to get this working in v4

Ok it will all work except you wonā€™t be able to delete the setting at WP end.

I think you can just update setting to 0 instead of deleting it.

2 Likes

Yes that works too. Quick thinking Emre

Alright, I am going to to test this out as soon as I complete a few high priority changes and fixes to a few requests Iā€™ve been receiving. Since the v5 released, thereā€™s soo much to take in haha. Thanks for all the support, Iā€™ll be sure to help as much as I can whenever I can.

(Sadly not a programmer to be able to do much, but at least I can help with whatever I already know and whatever else I believe could be a really cool idea to implement)

1 Like

I am not a programmer either. I just learn quick. Thankfully there is no programming required. Emre does that for us. We just learn how to use the tools.

2 Likes

Which setting are needing to update to 0? is that in the ā€œclear button log on wp endā€ Where generic Update program setting value to be changed to 0?

Also I just tried this tutorial, whereabouts can I see the amount of times the button was pressed? Is that in the reports?

Yes

You can use {SETTING:button name} to access the value. You can use that in reports or printer template or on a custom entity screen.

1 Like