Lan and wifi fixed setup

HI,
I CAME TO NOTICE THAT MY SERVER PC NEEDS TO CONNECT MANDATORY TO THE LAN AND WIFI INTERNET FOR THE WHOLE SYSTEM TO WORK. I HAVE INSTALLED A TP-LINK ROUTER AND SETUP WIFI NETWORK FOR THE CLIENT PCs TO WORK, AND THEY DO FINE, BUT WHEN I DISCONECT SERVER FROM LAN AND JUST LEAVE IT WORKING WITH WIFI, SYSTEM CANT COMUNICATE. DOES IT HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH MAYBE A SQL FIXED IP SETTING?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Your LAN adapter has different settings to your WIFI adapter on the server. If you have already configured your LAN adapter with a static IP address and domain gateway address, it doesn’t mean the settings will also be saved on your WIFI adapter. They are separate. You will need to configure your WIFI adapter with a static IP address as well and then change the other terminal database address to the new address for it to work.

Example.
If LAN adapter is static IP of 192.168.1.2, gateway: 192.168.1.1 Subnet: 255.255.255.0 and all is working ok because the other terminal database string has been configured to reach 192.168.1.2.
The minute you change to WIFI adapter, you need to manually set another static IP address and gateway like you did with LAN adapter. So if you set WIFI Adapter IP as 192.168.1.3… gateway:192.168.1.1.Subnet:255.255.255.0, you need to change the database string on all terminals to 192.168.1.3 with whatever port number you have opened and passed through your firewall.

2 Likes

If you have a fixed wired lab why would you want to change to wifi?

What are the two IP addresses of your fixed and wifi connections on the “server”?
What is the IP address of the “client” that you want to connect?

How are you planning to set-up SambaPOS on your LAN?

For me I have Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express installed on the server.
Express 64BIT\SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe

I also like to install the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 2014 Express on the server and on at least one client.
MgmtStudio 64BIT\SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe
I do this so I can check everything is connecting properly, and sometimes manipulate date manually (like moving DBs or making backups)

See how far you can get in the list below… If you have any issues with this, you should be able to do general internet searches for installing Microsoft SQL Express and connecting via Management Studio (there is nothing SambaPOS specific here, so have a look at any online tech forum that might be able to help you).

OK, so let us know how far you get in this list…

1. Install Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express on the server
    When installing, enable the SQL admin account (sa) and set a password
  2. Install Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Management Studio Express on the server
    Once installed you should be able to connect to the local SQL server using Windows Authentication (assuming you are an Administrator)
  3. Connect to the SQL server using the “sa”
    You might need to configure your new SQL Server instance to enable/allow the sa account.
    sa is the SQL server administrator account and this is what SambaPOS likes to use (you can probably do a lot to lock things down later, but get sa working first, and then see what other permissions and user accounts you can use later.
  4. Install Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Management Tools Express on the client
    Try to connect to the SQL Express server by specifying the IP address and the instance name of the server. This will probably be something like 192.168.1.45\SQLEXPRESS
    – This will almost certainly fail the first time you do this. It’s likely there are several things things that you will need to configure on the server. I can’t remember all the steps right now, but these hints should give you some help when searching for solutions on general technical / MS SQL forums:
  • Disable server firewall completely - This is a bit drastic, and once you have everything working you can start to lock things down again, but it’s good to rule-out any firewall that might be on the server
  • Enable TCP/IP access to the SQL Server instance (SQL Server 2014 Configuration Manager) - This is NOT the management studio
  • Enable SQL Server Browser service (again, inside SQL Server 2014 Configuration Manager). The SQL Server Browser service is required since an SQL Express server can run several database ‘instances’. Each instance will use a different, and dynamic TCP port. It is the SQL Server Browser service that takes the instance requested by the client, and translates this to the TCP port that the instance is running on

There we go… I hope this helps.

I would concentrate on getting SQL server installed and connected across your network before you start to worry about SambaPOS and how to get that working with your new SQL server environment.

1 Like