Low cost Windows 8.1 Tablet and SambaPOS

@kendash I found this while searching info for Surface 2 network speed.

@emre thank you. I do not use the surface 2 in production I bring it in just to test. But that is great to know it will give me more realistic results. I did notice the surface pro 3 ran better on the network than the 2 maybe this will fill that gap.

I love both my surface 2 and surface 3. Surface 3 is probably the best tablet I have ever used. I am still baffled how they engineered it to run desktop intel Core CPu’s and its so thin…

1 Like

Yeah. This is the closest thing to a real computer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Guys,

Just found a Windows 8.1 Tablet by HP for only £99.99, its called HP Stream 7 Tablet:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/ipad-tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/hp-stream-7-tablet-32-gb-black-10075694-pdt.html

If i do get it I will post a review and comparison…

5 Likes

Hello,
Just to confirm,
if i have a Win8.1 tablet the installation of SambaPOS there is identical as the PC one, right?

thanks in advance!
Claudio

If your planning a Multi user mode then consider SQL server configuration. Below links provide detailed explanation and step by step guides.

Thanks for the suggestion!!, I implemented the SQL Express, i was looking at the RDM solution but i don’t like messing with windows too much (bad experience :weary: ), so probably i’m going to buy a win 8.1 tablet…

1 Like

i’ve been testing SambaPOS for 3 months on a low cost windows 8.1 tablet for my small bar in Beijing and i’m quite happy with it.
Performance is a breeze except at startup and i haven’t noticed any lag… Granted, nowadays, these little low cost tablet come with quad core processors, 2G of RAM and 32G hard drive.

2 Likes

Just read this.
I have also been using Win 8 on Lynx tablets 7" 8" & 10" all work great using RDP links each having its own individual username.
One thing I did not see mentioned is to turn the tablet to portrait before loading (I have locked the screen so it does not rotate) the layout is different and in my opinion works better for a tablet.
Try it and see

1 Like

Hello, i ordered e Windows 8.1 Tablet, but my problem is if the printer Drivers are not compatible with this tablet because on PC with windows 8.1 i just installed Generic Text Printer!
any idea how to make printing from server! I know printer sharing but drivers have same problem.
My Idea is leaving Sambapos Opended in server with printers installed on Server not on tablet to make printing.

Leaving Samba open on the server will not work like that…
If your installing samba on the tablet you would need to setup the printer on the tablet.
If you have it setup as generic printer on server, share it, and add the shared printer to the tablet and then set ticket printer on tablet to the shared server printer…

1 Like

Hi,

if your server system is configured with Windows 7 or Windows 8 .Simple solution would be to create a Homegroup and join the tablet to the homegroup

Below link explains how to create a homegroup.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/homegroup-help#homegroup-start-to-finish=windows-7&v1h=win81tab1&v2h=win7tab1

What’s a homegroup?

A homegroup is a group of PCs on a home network that can share files and printers. Using a homegroup makes sharing easier. You can share pictures, music, videos, documents and printers with other people in your homegroup.

You can help protect your homegroup with a password, which you can change at any time. Other people can’t change the files that you share unless you give them permission to do so.

After you create or join a homegroup, you select the libraries (for example, My Pictures or My Documents) that you want to share. You can prevent specific files or folders from being shared, and you can share additional libraries later.

HomeGroup is available in Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1 and Windows 7. You can join a homegroup on a PC running Windows RT 8.1, but you can’t create a homegroup or share content with the homegroup. In Windows 7 Starter and Windows 7 Home Basic, you can join a homegroup, but you can’t create one.

1 Like

To me it looks like you are making it complicated.

I have set up tablets to log onto the server using RDP Remote Desktop.
Everything then runs from the server, no need for any local setup.

This works with the server using Windows 7 with a multiuser RDP patch that is explained elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

That’s how I do mine but use cheaper tablet devices on android so only choice.
The fact he has a windows 8 tablet implies he’s looking for local install.
Not sure what difference the use of samba on tablet local vs rdp but can’t be much in it.

I think his confusion is to how the printer setup works in samba, caught me out first time as the setting for printer on terminal made me think printers were shared within samba which I obviously now understand they are not.

This works with the server using Windows 7 with a multiuser RDP patch that is explained elsewhere.

No sure how i’m making it complicated. OK, the Multi user RDP ‘patch’ is NOT a patch. its a hack which was discussed/explained clearly

2 Likes

I do not think people understand what this means. It is a hack and Microsoft has already and will again patch it so it wont work. This is not good for business.

If you have windows 8.1 tablets you can run SambaPOS as local installs on each tablet and hook them to the database via wifi. You need a good strong wifi signal so spend some time planning and setting up your network first. Ensure good signal throughout your working area where you plan to use tablets.

V5 is due out soon and it has features that increase connection reliability with Database which is another reason to use local installs. I have used both RDP and Wifi Local installed SambaPOS. With a strong well planned out network local install runs very smooth and fast.

Now keep in mind buying a $100 router and throwing it in your building and expecting good wifi is not good planning and will get you bad results unless your lucky. Do some research maybe even invest in a spectrum analyzer so you can find dead spots and invest in a GOOD strong business class router. I paid $500 for my wifi setup + about $200 for tweaking it which sounds like a lot but really its pennies and has paid off. $399 of it was the router some of it was for an analyzer and the rest was for a decent repeater.

4 Likes

Thank you for any advice! Tablet just arrived and SambaPos worked very well and printers too, im using printer Tysso.
For wireless i think to use a RouterBoard OMNITIK U-5HND (need to order 2.4GHz usually are just 5GHz) is a 360° antenna maybe can cover all area is 700m2.
I have some problems creating a Automation Command for printing any waiters himself Report. For example:
User1
Printing Work Period Report
Settled by User1 Total XX.XX
Right now print included other users Work Period Report any idea how can realize it to print each users report separately
I’m using Sampos v3 i cant change it!

@morshed1 am looking to have a play with a windows 8 tablet and local install.
Would be intrigued to see a video of the tablet in use, ie the responsiveness within samba.
I have video of a ipad mini using RDP is anyone was looking for comparison against their tablet.

The responsiveness is very good (pressing the buttons while looking at the camera was quite disorienting lol)

Excuse the background chatter LOL

Hi @JTRTech - thanks for the video. Couple of questions -
When you double pressed a few buttons (looks like from the video) did you get a delay response or just did not press the screen adequately?
Secondly, what Apple software were you using for RDP? Was it native or available APP? Being a MS man for too long I use a IPAD/IPHONE but not as yet developed for them.

Cheers Paul.

With any RDP setup you will run into some delays this is inevitable and unavoidable. Some setups are better than others depending on how good the network is. Ultimately the only way to virtually eliminate a delay is to keep all actions local and then submit them to database all at once but its not as simple as it sounds.

The local installed MS tablets running wifi connected to a remote Database will get delays as well. To be honest RDP is the better solution if you can afford it. I personally cant justify the cost for my small operations and I refuse to use the Hack.

1 Like