Message server Connected but not updating

I have a till(server), kitchen display and customer display running .60

The customer display and kitchen display are not powered off due to not having an auto-login feature.

If the till (server) is shutdown or restarted the message server on the CD and KD reconnects but does not respond to any changes. The only way to get the message server to function correctly is by closing Samba and restarting it on the CD & KD.

Is this how it should function or is there potentially a bug in my setup?

I havesame problem since (9000+) unless close and reopen screen also I noticed my ordernumber Queue tag is generating each terminal its own queue number ex: server orders has it own q and terminals its own q numbers starts from 1 .

Msg server updating and solved now … once uninstalled all and only installed samba server.

Queue numbers still not solved some reason .

What version of SambaPOS are you using? Show your message server configuration settings please.

Create a separate Topic for this, and put screenshots of your Actions, Rules, etc that pertain to your Queue numbers. It sounds like you are updating a Local Program Setting rather than a Global Program Setting, so in that case, the value is held in memory on each Terminal separately, rather than a central global value in the DB.

Hey @QMcKay, sticking my nose in here but is silentbob correct in what he is saying? I have not used message server but feel soon enough I will especially with QL…

I think I recall an issue of that sort when running KD on one of the Terminals.

It should be noted that it likely has nothing to do with the Terminal that is marked as the “Server” though, because the Message Server Service is a separate program and has nothing to do with whether or not SambaPOS is running on the “Server”… it just happens to be running on the same machine that is the “Server”.

The problem manifests itself as being “Connected” according to the indicator at the bottom-left, yet it seems it is not receiving (and probably not sending either) messages from/to the Message Server.

I think SambaPOS clients might have a slight glitch in their display of the connection Status, but more importantly, sometimes have trouble reconnecting to the Message Server if the service goes down and comes back up (as in a reboot of the “Server”). That said, I thought these issues were resolved in .60 … maybe @emre needs to check on it a little deeper?

The GQL Browser clients on the other hand (at least in my Modules) do not have this issue since there is some code in place to manage detection of Connection Status and perform Reconnects. I no longer use SambaPOS on my KD; instead I use Chrome, and it works flawlessly, and fast :wink:

You know you not making my life any easier with comments like that! haha
Thanks Q - great info.

I know I posted something like the following in another Topic quite a while ago, but I recently did some more work on the Powershell script that eases setup of multi-terminal systems.

I went through this again just yesterday when I discovered that my custom Firewall Rules somehow went missing (I have a sneaking suspicion Win 10 updated deleted them, but cannot find any evidence of this happening when searching on the 'net).

##Create a BAT file:

fwrules.bat

D:
CD D:\Programs
powershell -executionpolicy bypass -File fwrules.ps1
pause

Make changes to the BAT file as necessary. You want to ensure that you navigate to the path where the BAT file and the PS1 file reside on your system. In my case, the files were in D:\Programs\, so the first 2 lines make that happen.

##Create a PS1 file:

fwrules.ps1

function getRule {
    param(
        [string] $name
    )
    $fw = Get-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "$name" -ErrorAction:SilentlyContinue
    if ($fw) {
        return [bool]$true
    } else {
        return [bool]$false
    }
}
function setRule {
    param(
        [string] $name,
        [string] $port,
	[string] $protocol,
	[string] $profile
    )
    Set-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "$name" -Action "Allow" -Direction "Inbound" -Enabled "True" -LocalPort "$port" -Profile "$profile" -Protocol "$protocol" -Verbose
}

function addRule {
    param(
        [string] $group,
        [string] $name,
        [string] $port,
	[string] $protocol,
	[string] $profile
    )

$fw = getRule("$name")
    if ($fw) {
	Write-Host -ForegroundColor:Black -BackgroundColor:Magenta "`r`n*** Rule already exists, Modifying Rule: '$name' ..."
	setRule -name:"$name" -port:"$port" -profile:"$profile" -protocol:"$protocol" -Action "Allow" -Direction "Inbound" -Enabled "True"
    } else {
	Write-Host -ForegroundColor:Black -BackgroundColor:Green "`r`n****** Adding Rule: '$name' ..."
        New-NetFirewallRule -Group "$group" -DisplayName "$name" -Action "Allow" -Direction "Inbound" -Enabled "True" -LocalPort "$port" -Profile "$profile" -Protocol "$protocol"
    }

}

#
# This is where you specify the addition of Firewall Rules
#
addRule -profile:"Private" -protocol:"TCP" -port:1433           -group:"Custom Rule - SambaPOS Multi-terminal" -name:"SambaPOS SQL Traffic"
addRule -profile:"Private" -protocol:"UDP" -port:1434           -group:"Custom Rule - SambaPOS Multi-terminal" -name:"SambaPOS SQL Browser Traffic"
addRule -profile:"Private" -protocol:"TCP" -port:9000           -group:"Custom Rule - SambaPOS Multi-terminal" -name:"SambaPOS Messaging Server"

The last 3 lines in the PS1 file are the important lines. They use the preceding functions. Modify them as necessary if your system is configured differently. For example, your Ports might be different, or maybe you want the Rule to have a Profile of “All” or “Public”. The Profile used depends on the Network Connection Type.

On the Server where the Message Service is running, and the DB is running, right-click the BAT file, and choose Run as Administrator. To show what it looks like, I deleted 1 of the above Rules (the one named “SambaPOS SQL Browser Traffic”), so this output shows that it is updating 2 Rules (magenta), and adding 1 Rule (green) …

2 Likes

I’m using 5.1.60
The message server works fine until the main system is restarted. The clients will not reconnect to the messaging server (although they show the green connected) unless I restart samba on these too.
I have disabled the firewall to eliminate it as the problem.

1 Like

This is becoming a bit of a pain. Has anyone else experienced this sort of behaviour?

I have similar issue when putting the tablet to sleep and occasionally “The clients will not reconnect to the messaging server (although they show the green connected) unless I restart samba on the tablet client”. No automatic solution yet

@QMcKay also reported it and I improved re-connection feature for .61. I don’t know if anyone tested it but it should work fine. @silentbob do you have access to beta?

1 Like

Yes is it the version from 11 days ago?