Messege Server Not connected

After installing SambaPOS and SQL Express 2012 and following the instructions from:

http://sambapos.org/wiki/doku.php/en/installing_sql_express_2012_for_sambapos_v3

I can’t get the Message Server connected. I search similar topic on the forum and tried starting the Samba.MessagingServerServiceTool

I have also noticed that SQL Server Agent under Server Configuration Manager is Stopped running.

Please advise on how to solve this.

Thank you!

Its looking for Samba.messaging.server files/dependencies and can’t find it. Try uninstall and install service from C:\Program Files\SambaPOS4\Samba.MessagingServerServiceTool.exe. If it still not work try re-installing Sambapos.
No need to run SQL Server Agent service for Sambapos

Message server has nothing to do with SQL server. It’s a Windows feature and not required unless you use multiple terminals and want entities to update across terminals.

You should use SQL express 2014. There is no reason to use old software.

Here is the full message server tutorial.

My current set is I have one desktop/server at the back office where I can update the menu/inventory…etc and one POS terminal at the front (Microsoft surface). Do I not need the Message server for this setup? Also I am thinking of adding 2nd terminal in the future for taking delivery order only. Will I be able to reconfigure the Database and server easily when I add the second terminal?

I actually started the tutorial with V5 and SQL 2014 and it didnt work, that’s why I fall back to previous version to see if it was something else.

Thanks for the replay, I did read the Message Server Tutorial thoroughly few of times after I got stuck. The location where I get stuck in your tutorial is where you said to find Samba.MessagingServer.exe or the Samba.MessagingServerServiceTool.exe When I clicked on anyone of these two I get that error pop-up and the window closes automatically.

You don’t do anything to database to add other terminals you just connect the terminal to the database and then name the terminal.

Message server is only needed for Kitchen Screen or to Update Colors from Tables or Entities on all terminals.

Message server has nothing to do with SQL Server and neither one communicate or impact each other.

What did not work?

[quote=“Jesse, post:7, topic:7513”]
needed for Kitchen Screen
[/quote] Which means I do needed since I putting a kitchen display rather then the printer.

I was getting exact same errors when tried to start the Samba.MessageServer.exe

so weird, I was able to click and run Samba.MessageServer.exe right now without any error. And run SambaPOS and it Connected right away also. I didn’t change or do anything since last time. I guess its all good now, I will try installing back V5 with SQL 2014.

Ok so lets start fresh and clear up some misconceptions and then lets work on finding solution.

First SQL Server has nothing to do with Message Server so you can be confident its not SQL Server causing it. Second SambaPOS itself has very little impact on Message server. Message server is a windows feature and it can be ran two ways. I recommend running it as a service.

1 Like

Great, I recommend following the part of tutorial that explains how to install it as a service. You do that step once and it will work. The other way requires you to start service anytime you reboot PC and it keeps it in system tray which is anoying.

1 Like