Moving existing data to newly set up SQL server

Hi,

I have been using SambaPOS v5 for a little while now and I have recently decided to set up SQL server so that I can connect another terminal.

How do I move all my existing data to the SQL instance? I want to migrate transactions as well as accounting information, user information and settings, reports, products etc.

Please help!

Just run a backup and then after connecting to your SQL instance restore the backup.

Not working. Now everything is gone!

Tried disconnecting from the database and restoring and it says empty path name not legal

You ran a backup before you connected right? When you connect to it you will lose everything because it’s a new database then you restore your old one.

Yes I did. I have several backups

So did you connect to new database and then restore? How are you running backups?

It says "Cannot open backup {File Path}. Operating System error 5 (Access denied) Restore file list is terminating abnormally

So I was not using any databases before. I don’t know if that was clear. I guess I was using whatever storage exists without using a database. (I don’t know if it’s a txt file or something)

If its a text file that is demo mode and not designed to be used in production, you would need to totally rebuild your system after installing sql, see this topic

You were probably using localdB. How did you run backups?

Error 5 is usually permissions based.
Try moving backup to a different directory before restoring it like root of c drive or USB stick.

2 Likes

Ran backups using the DB tool.Did automatica backups after each work session and manual when necessary.

I don’t think it’s in demo mode. I see SQ at the end of the application name when launched.

Please tell me I do not have to rebuild from scratch

Move the backup file from a user account folder to just a generic folder. And then try it. Maybe move it to something like c:\sambabackups\

1 Like

Tried again and it said the db was backed up on a server running version 12.00.2000 and is incompatible as this server is running 11.00.2100.

Which server is it talking about?

1 Like

You currently are running SQL Server 2012. You must run SQL Server 2014 for it to restore.

2 Likes

Awesome! It worked!

Thanks a lot to all of you!

1 Like