MS SQL 2017 on Linux

Hello,
did someone already try to install MS SQL 2017 on a Linux machine? Just curious :thinking:

1 Like

No need to try it works fine on Linux. But you don’t gain anything really unless you have a linux machine and want to run a SQL server.

I was actually trying to attempt this on Ubuntu 18.04. Maybe I don’t know ubuntu well enough, but what software would you need to make SambaPOS work on ubuntu?

Virtualization tools like wine I think it’s called might work however any percived stability gains are quickly outweighed by issues created by adding more complexity and requirements to the mix

So Wine has been tested and noted to work with SambaPOS? Hmm i gotta try. I am aware the more complex the more chances of it breaking and not working. But still interesting.

No you can get SQL for Linux. Microsoft has built it. I’m not talking about Sambapos. Sambapos will NOT work with Linux

My idea about was just to run the database on a linux machine, because on Windows SQL Server is a big resource user and when one can make an tiny environment only linux core with basic tools and mssql installed, more resources would be left for the mssql itself, so you could use less powerful machines as a server and save money on hardware?

No it doesn’t work that way. I don’t understand why you would want to go cheap with the server that runs the backbone of your system. You won’t save any money or gain performance by using SQL on Linux. Btw it’s not SQL express. SQL express will not run on Linux without virtual systems.

What I’m saying is you would have to spend over $900-$3000 just for the SQL license. So no you will not save any money.