Multiple users on sdf file

Hi there,
I am usually quite good at following tutorials but I must admit that something has got me down right stumped.

I have a Thai restaurant that has a single POS till which is running in sdf mode (although I did install MS SQL 2012 express on it as well). The system is working well and I have been very pleased with the system. However, the staff want to use ipads to rdp to the server. I have created 3 user accounts, upgrded to ultimate win7 from home premium after I spent 3 days trying to connect only to remember that it is not possible with home version! I know the sdf is currently in admin users documents and should be on C drive so that all users can see it BUT everything I have tried has not worked.

As I understand if there is just a file name in the connection string (under local settings) SambaPOS looks for that file in the user’s documents\sambapos4 directory. To allow all users to use the data file (sdf) I thought that I should move it to the C drive (c:[mydatafile.sdf]) However, I get an error in connection string.

Could someone please tell me how to refer to the datafile on the C drive. (I don’t want to go to the extreme of using SQL unless I have to)

Regards

Mike

SDF does not support multi users. You need to switch to SQL it is much better and supports more advanced functions.

BTW just curious what makes you say

SQL is definitely not an extreme option in all honesty it is the better option and is quite simple and in my opinion much easier to manage. It just takes a little reading on using it and managing it but its very very simple.

Starting with windows 7 and continuing into windows 8 and beyond the OS protects files in C: more than likely its not able to write to the file on root C:

Here is a quick tutorial on setting up SQL Express 2014 which is the newest version:

Kendash,
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I have all of my products and rules pretty much complete and did try to convert to sql [using the ce2sql tutorial] but found non of the products transferred across to the sql file so didn’t want to go and redo all of that work.

It sounds like best advice is to have to have another go at converting to an sql file (after taking backups!)

Regards

Mike

Hello @michael_linahan

Attach your file here, i will covert and share you the .SQL file.

Instructions to convert are included in that tutorial. These are updated and do not use the tool you mentioned.

shmoulana,
Thanks for the offer but I am going to use the express 14 and import tools. Downloading as I type.

Regards

Mike