Network Advice on Cabling

Starts at 246m mark and ends at 147m mark haha.

If you have time I would be intrigued to see throughput with say 1 m of that cable next to server vs your 99 m length.
The limit of 100m would as discussed likely be given the spec of the cat5/6 standard and longer would likely see a drop off rather than a complete stop.
Would be intrigued if at approx 100m if that limit is the max to get full bandwidth with reduction after that point or if there is a reduced cut off point that they deem acceptable when setting the reconmended length.
At some point physics of resistance and voltage drop would cause connection failureā€¦ Woundering how far you can realistly go if you accept some dropoff.
Kinda tempted to slap ends on a full roll and see if it works at all LOL

2 Likes

What do you mean by this? Connect the client to network with 1 meter cable and look for the delay or performance difference?

I dont think you get a drop in speed and transfer rate with CAT6. Only when it comes to Gigabit bandwidth - I think.

I already used my roll so cant test that but its a good idea. If you have a role and a multi-meter on hand see if you can get the resistance in Ī© (ohm) for one wire. I believe its very small voltage that goes through it but somewhat higher current. So resistance of the wire should really be small.