New forum catagory purly for people to share examples of their setup

Not sure if you’ll agree but I think it might be nice to have a forum category for demoing your setup?
People can add topic with their business type and show screen shots of how they have made samba their own to suite their business.
Something like ‘My Samba’ sounds catchy.
It is also a nice way for people to ‘show off’ their hard work in building their setup.
I think that this might allow people to more easily see how samba can be customized to their specific business type by looking at others with similar businesses. As when starting fresh for the first time which direction to go can be quite daunting.
Although it might go slightly against the built it yourself ‘style’ I think for newbies who haven’t grasped the level of customization possible would benefit greatly from being able to see someone else who has created setup for their/similar type of business.
Also is would be good for demoing (especially if people link to the tutorials they used) how the tutorial/feature setups are implemented in a system wide example.
It would also be a clear way to show the diversity in the types of applications of samba.
Would be nice to have ask for a general title format of say: Business Type - Country ie ‘Fast Food Restaurant - New York, USA’ or ‘Dry Cleaners - Paris, France’ or ‘Suit Rental - London, UK’
I would - others may also, upload photos of there system in their business which could also (maybe with disclaimer in pined post) possibly be used in your ‘portfolio’ which by the way if you ever needed any more have a couple I could give details for.
What do you think @emre ?

1 Like

There is already a category called Pre-Build Databases

http://forum.sambapos.com/t/category-definition-for-pre-build-databases/740?u=morshed1

I have seem this…
I was thinking more visual (screenshots) showing off there setup rather than offering for people to download their pre-made database. as a place for people to more visually see what people have done to inspire them to expand there use of the system.
It has been said regularly that the point of samba is to built your own system to what you want, and while ‘copying’ someone else ideas is slightly counter that ‘moto’ in the beginning it is daunting as to where to start.
I usually study peoples screen shots to try and understand exactly where they have used the features described and how it fits in to there workflow.
Tutorials are great if you have a plan as to where your trying to get to but as a beginner you dont always know how far you can go.
Plus its would be nice for people to be able to (as i said) show off their achievements. To get a real grip of samba takes time and allot of reading on this forum and to show overs what you have achieved and inspire them would be a way for them to hear comments and feedback on it.
The main idea to to inspire people to raise their expectations and see how far samba can be taken
When you see screenshots from @Jesse and @QMcKay with complex time clocking setups and cash up screens it inspires me to one day try and implement more complex features - not because I need it but because I can. Also @RickH almost fully graphical buttons again would show beginners just how far it can be customized.
It wouldn’t be a category to show people how you did it but a consolidated example of peoples overall setups.
Also when starting terminology for searches can be confusing - when you would call a function/setup but to see what your trying to achieve and someone’s ‘description’/name for it will make it easier to find the right tutorial when searching.

1 Like

I’ve tried to trigger it various times but couldn’t brought it to desired level. Something like that will be awesome. Other than category idea we can also make it a sticky topic so all setups can be viewed at once.

3 Likes

Even if @Jesse @QMcKay @RickH and a few others were willing to share some general use screen shots of theirs it would be a start.
I will happily do mine but almost embarrassed in the basic-ness of it in comparison LOL
I just think that the screen shots on the main site are fairly basic and uninspiring (for obvious reasons in that the software doesn’t come like that) and it would be nice to be able to see what can and is being done by people as a demonstration.
There are obviously lots of screenshots but most are of backend rules and action settings which wouldnt mean allot if you were just starting.
It wouldn’t need or want everyone to do it but even half a dozen would demonstrait the diversity.
Ideally it would want several different business types as obviously the majority are hospitality/catering uses but given it can be easily implemented to so many other businesses it would be great to show that.
As said before I have installed and setup a few systems for local businesses and will certainly contribute the different types of setups I end up doing as am trying to get a client outside of hospitality to be able to make a system less documented.

We can start with that. As it gets attention we can improve it by creating videos with these sample setups to demonstrate usages. I can setup a video team for that.

I think a catagory would be better that a topic though as with many screenshots it will be a very long toppic lol.
And as I said if people would format there titles as business type and country it would be nice to see the spectrum of business and locations like that. to show how its used all over the world by different business types.

imho we can start with a single topic and if it gets attention we can promote it to a category. So we need someone start the flame…

I like the idea. I will definitely share mine. Its something I had planned to do anyway. I was taking it a step further and offering configuration tasks for a lot of mine. The tasks will take me some time to finish but I can easily throw some screenshots and videos together.

2 Likes

I thought you would be keen to share, yours and the others mentioned would be perfect examples to spread some inspiration :smile:
Will do my pub/bar setup but basic in comparison, guess the contrast will also show that you dont have to know how to do everything to get started LOL

2 Likes

Im happy to share screenshots of mine too, theres quite a few already out there but itd be goid to all b in one place:)

That’s part of my thought, to show what can be done and also you only get snippets of peoples setup in tutorial screen shots (mainly back end configuration) and not always easy to tell if its exactly what your looking for without seeing its place in the workflow…

2 Likes