New scenario... Self service, first weight dish and then choose table

I have some friends that operate very large buffet style establishments I will reach out to them and see what kind of best practices they do.

Can you clarify a few things for me though.

Does the customer weigh their own food? If not is the scale near the register? If they do then how do you manage it?

In the USA we rarely ever weigh the food so this is something kind of new to me. I have seen it before its just very rare. We do have buffet’s EVERYWHERE however. Asian food is the most popular buffet here. Followed by American buffet and Southern American Buffet… Then there are some very large chains that run Buffet’s, Golden Corral, Ryan’s are a couple very popular in southern USA.

Of all the buffet’s we have in the USA I have only seen 1 that weighed the food. It was a Chinese Buffet that only weighed To-Go orders the eat in was not weighed.

I’m not saying this in a derogatory manor I’m just saying it because I am interested. I have heard of a few countries that primarily use the Weigh method with buffet’s but I have not had much experience with it myself.

1 Like

The customer help himself and then goes to the scale to weigh thebdish. The scale is next to the computer operating samba.

The restaurant used to give a piece of paper with the weight to the client and in the paper you coud read “the loss of this paper means R$100”.

My problem with the approach tha we where discussin above is how to be sure that people are going to go to the register (which is not in the ezit door) to pay.