[OFF TOPIC] Network issues

who can hel me out? I am having network issues… I have a win 8.1 and a win 7 computer, both in a homegroup, both networked.

SAMBAPOS AND SQL WORK GREAT!!! so, maybe Ishould not mess around with this… but…

From win 8.1 I can see and navigate win 7 computer. I copy files form win 7 to win 8.1, but i cannot copy from win 8.1 to win 7

From win 7 I cannot acces any computer in the network, including win 7 itself… that is where I am lost…

anyone had any similar issue before?

Thanks!!!

G.

Similar issue as per below link:

“It had to do with me being signed in on my computer through my microsoft account… Now that im on a local account on the computer I can access all the files”

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1861206/homegroup-sharing-windows.html

Other usefull links:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/cant-connect-other-pcs

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/share-files-folders

Dear @morshed1, in my case is the esact opposite… people cant acces from windows 8. In my case, from win 8 i can access, but I cannot acces form win7 to win8…

strange…

even so, i will try to login with a local account in win 8 to see what happnens

THANKS!!!

G.

PS… no luck… that was not my case… the strange thing is that on win 7 pc, I cannot acces win 7 pc in the network section… i mean, i can not access myself on the network section, that is strange…

@gerlandog, which version of Windows 7 is your PC configured and is all user accounts configured with password… I’ll see if I can reproduce with Windows 8 and Windows 7 configuration

@morshed1 sorry I did not answer before, I was out of home…

win 7 home
win 8.1 one language

THANKS!!!

G.

I’ll try in my lab with Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 7 Home Premium.

Update: I have not been able to reproduce the symptom. I was able to navigate and copy from main (windows 8 PC) and test pc (Windows 7 Home) without any issues.

The only thing I can recommend is, leave the Homegroup on the Windows 7 PC and re-join again. Also Run home Group Trouble-shooter and check the Troubleshooting report for any issues

Windows 8.1

WIndows 7 Home Premimum

I relased the homegroup and rejioned it 5 times today, no luck, tun the home troubleshooter… for some reason win7 has some typeof missconfiguration, beuase i cannot acces none of the network computers form win7 not even win7 himself… so…

THANKS!!!

G.

OK, if you can go through below and see if it resolves the issue.

IPv6 Must Be Enabled
In order for to use the Windows 7 HomeGroup feature, you have to make sure that IPv6 is enabled. You can check to see if IPv6 is enabled on your computer, click on Start and type in Network into the search box. Then click on Network and Sharing Center.

Then click on Change adapter settings in the left hand pane of the dialog:

Finally, right-click on your network connection and choose Properties. Here you should see Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) in the list and they should both be checked.

Note that sometimes the registry setting does not get updated even though you enable IPv6 via the GUI interface. So you can check the setting in the registry by going to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters

In the right pane, right-click on DisabledComponents and select Modify. Make sure the value is set to 0. If it’s set to anything else like FF, IPv6 was turned off.

Connected to Same Network
Though this might sound obvious, you need to make sure the computer is connected to the same network the HomeGroup is on. Only computers on the same subnet will be able to connect to the HomeGroup, so if you have a wireless router, it would only be the computers connected to that router.

You can check if your computers are on the same network by going to the command prompt and typing in IPCONFIG. The first 3 parts of the IP Address should be the same, i.e. 192.168.0.x or 10.0.1.x.

HomeGroup Password
Make sure that the HomeGroup password has not changed. You can check the HomeGroup password on another computer and then use that one to join the HomeGroup.

You can find the HomeGroup password by going to Control Panel and opening HomeGroup. Then click on View or print the HomeGroup password.

If you need to, change the HomeGroup password on the computer you are trying to connect to the HomeGroup.

Firewalls
Make sure any third-party firewalls are disabled like Comodo, etc. Sometimes anti-virus programs also come bundled with firewall software like Norton, McAfee Security and Kaspersky. These program can block the connections and prevent you from connecting to a HomeGroup.

Turn on Network Discovery
Make sure that Network Discovery is enabled on your Windows 7 PC. You can do this by going to Control Panel, then Network and Sharing Center, and clicking on Change advanced sharing settings in the left pane.

Make sure that the Turn on network discovery radio button is selected. It should be on by default, but if someone changed your settings, this could also cause the problem.

Synchronize Clocks
Go to each computer and make sure that all the clocks are showing the correct time. If the clocks are not synchronized, the HomeGroup feature will not work. If your computer is connected to the Internet, it should automatically pick up the correct time.

The only occasion where it would not is if you are in a domain, then the clocks should be synchronized to the domain controller. You may have to check the time server settings if that is not the case.

Windows 7 Services
In order for the HomeGroup networking feature to be working, there are certain Windows services that need to be enabled and running. If you used a program to disable services or manually disabled them, it may be causing the problem.

The services that need to be turned on are listed below:

DNS Client
Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication
Peer Networking Grouping
HomeGroup Provider
HomeGroup Listener
SSDP Discovery
UPnP Device Host

You can turn on the services by clicking on Start and typing in “services” and then clicking on Services.

In the Services dialog, double-click on the service and make sure the Startup type is set to Automatic and click Start to turn on the service.

Set Network Location to Home
Another reason why you can’t access your HomeGroup is because it only works for home networks where you trust all the computers. If, for some reason, you chose Work, Public, or Domain, then HomeGroups will not work.

You can check this by going to Network and Sharing center and looking under Network. If it’s not set to Home network, you can change it by clicking on the link and choosing the new network location.

Router Supports IPv6
This is pretty much not an issue anymore, but just for the sake of covering all bases, you need to make sure that your router can support IPv6 protocol. If not, Windows 7 cannot communicate with the other computers using HomeGroup. Any relatively new router will support it, so unless you have a really old router, you should be ok.

Dear @morshed1 , your tutorial was more than GREAT!! thanks!!! i have been going thru all the configuration, and everything is OK, according to what wyou wrote.

Th only think I could indentify different in my win 7 pc is that the parameter “DisabledComponents” from the registry was not there, so I created it and added a CERO (0) value.

AFter that, i restarted the pc, and created a new homegroup, and then used the other computer to join it.
Everything goes according to the manual…
I join the group, share folders… but…

I am now on ACER COMPUTER sitting and writing… this screen belongs to acer computer…

I dont know what else could this be…

no matter this, SAMBAPOS works!!!

THANKS!!! you really did put a lot of effort here, and I really appreciate!!!

G.

@gerlandog, can you also try following, Uninstall Client for Microsoft Networks in my adapter’s properties, rebooted and then reinstalled it.

Example:

Also, if that does not work uninstall LAN/Wirelan LAN adapter and reinstall it agin…

if this does not work then I gave up :smile:

1 Like

THANKS!!!

I will try all this but on thursday, becuase this weekend is eastern and I better do no touch something that is working… SAMBA NETWORKED!!

THANKS AGAIN!!!

G.

Dear @morshed1, THANKS!!! THANK YOU very much for your help, I uninstalled everything and installed everything again, and suddendly home groups started to work and I can see both computers…

THANKS!!!

G.

:smile: WooHoo!!! really glad its working

1 Like

THANKS!!!

Gerlando.