Opening and closing of work period with occupied tables

I have doubts how work periods work. If I have two shifts, it starts at 9am and ends at 6pm, the next shift starts at 6pm and ends at 3am. The detail that I find is in the change of shift, since there are busy tables and it is not possible to close the work period of the first cashier. Can someone support me what is the logic of the opening and closing of shifts with busy tables?. The closing of the first shift is important, since the first teller must deliver exactly the amount of cash sold, the next shift.

As far as I know there are only two ways to do it.

1. As usual, settle all bills before the next shift.
  2. Use Change Ticket Properties action and use Pre-Orders.

However, the latter can get very tricky with reporting and you really need to cover every possible scenario otherwise it will make absolute mess of your reports.

You can run report without closing period.
And you can specify times when running reports :wink:

Issue with tickets spanning periods is you will still have unpaid sales and you will need to account for ‘debtors’ in your reconciliation.

My question would be why the need to end work period during day?
If its for individual servers to cash up their takings there are other ways.

Work periods are meant to define times for reports for the day it’s not meant for shifts.

Hi PosFlow, thank you for your comments.

Option 1.- It would not be convenient, since the cashier does not have the money to pay, Supposing that the pending tables are settled in the system, it would affect the next shift since customers can order more food and it would be unadjusted, and the fact of checking ticket per ticket could affect the operation of the business. The priority is customer service.

Option 2.- I am a novice user, I should see that process and try it.

Thanks

1 Like

Using preoder is not a novice method, you will likely regret it when it comes to reports.

Hello JTRTech, could you help me with the report without a closing period? Anyway, and that fits the requirement.

On the question, is that at the shift change:
It is very simple, the cash collected by the first cashier must be delivered with a sales report, in the same way, cashier 2, what is collected, is delivered with a sales report. The sum of the 2 shifts represents the sale of the day. That way, the manager or owner knows exactly how much each cashier charged on his shift.

When raising an order in the shift of the first cashier, it should not be considered as collected, simply that ticket should be considered in a status as “attended and open” to more orders, regardless of the change of shift. If the first teller closes his shift, he only reports what he was paid. It will be up to the next cashier to charge for the tables “attended and open to orders.”

If there was a way respecting the process in which a shift change report is generated, where the amount charged by cashier 1 was reflected, not including the tables that are still being served, it would be great, and with that the change is solved on duty, even if the closing is done by the last cashier.

Hi Jesse,

The ideal would be to generate a shift change report, only with what the cashier charged, not considering the tables that are still occupied and that are pending to pay for their consumption.

If there was a way to generate that shift change report and the work period closes at the end of the day the last customer leaves, it would be ideal.

I understand, thanks for the advice.

The tables entity should handle a status, for example “paid” status, “unpaid” status. In the shift change reports, only include tables and tickets with “paid” status when it is a shift closure.

I highly advise you to stop using work periods to separate shifts
 It will mess up daily reporting for your store.

We are working on an official solution for this. I do not have an ETA but it will be before 2022.

Before that you can use custom reports to do what you need. Custom reports take some time to learn and your best reference will be from kb.sambapos.com and this forum.

I understand Jesse, the solution is a personalized report, I appreciate the support provided. Thank you.

You can create any report you may need including per user.

On the subject of reporting, there will be something similar or some reading that you can recommend me to document me and do my tests please. I really appreciate your attention.

kb.sambapos.com has documentation for our reporting.

Thanks Jesse, I’m going to do some more research. Greetings.

1 Like