Pole Display problem

I may have spoken too soon - now the Pole Display is driving me insane.

I have a Rule that adds a Coffee as a Gift for certain items.
I also have fixed price Discount buttons of 10,20,30,40,50.
And then there are price differences for Portions.

Here’s a scenario that illustrates all the issues, which are related to {TICKET TOTAL} in my Pole Items printer template…

Add a Breakfast Sandwich, (value 100).
A rule adds a Coffee (value 40) and tags it as a Gift.
The POS screen shows the correct Total of 100, but the Pole Display shows an incorrect Total of 140.
Add a Latte.Double (value 80), and the Pole Display shows the correct Total of 180.
Now change the Portion of the Latte to Single (value 60) and the Pole Display shows an incorrect Total of 60 (should be 160).
Now Discount the Latte by 10 (automation command), and the Pole Display shows an incorrect Total of 50 (should be 150).
Add another item - Espresso (value 40), and the Pole Display shows the correct Total of 190.
Now Discount the Espresso by 20 (automation command), and the Pole Display shows an incorrect Total of 20 (should be 170).
Now highlight any item and increase the Quantity using the + button, the Pole Display Total does not change.
And so on and so on…

All this time, the POS display shows the correct Total, so we know the Rules and Actions are working, presumably in the correct order, but {TICKET TOTAL} in the Pole Items template is out to lunch.