Printing issue with 2 terminals and server

@Shivan the printer is connected via USB and LAN at the same time. So the USB is for Terminal 1 and the LAN is for Terminal 2.

JTRTech
If I update the printer that way it changes the settings on the main server then its printer does not print.

I will keep on testing and let you guys know the outcome.

Over and above that does Sambapos allow for failover printing?

I.e you have Server with sql, Terminal 1 with printer, Terminal 2 with printer and lets say Terminal 2 printer dies is there a way to then automatically switch over Terminal 2 to print via Terminal 1.

I’m not aware of failover printing but! In saying that you might be able to find an application that supports failover printing.

Then you just point 1 printer and if it fails the software redirects it to failover.

So are you using 1 printer for both terminals?

If so, is there any reason why you cannot just use Ethernet based on both T1 and T2?

I’ve thought about it and it seems that it is better to give Terminal 2 its own usb printer. The reason that there is an issue is that Server has 3 printers that are defined ie its own usb printer and 2 Lan printers in the kitchen.

And Terminal 1 and 2 pulls that settings. I will play around with it some more as server and terminal 1 and 2 are customer facing.

The reason is that those printers are already defined in server. If I change it on terminals then it changes it on the server when I click save.

So if I understand correctly… you have total of 3 printers.

2 lan and 1 usb.

All 3 are installed on server and then you have T1 AND T2.

I’m pretty sure doe the usb one, as long as your network settings are set up correctly…

You can share the USB one, and allow network access to server for T1 and T2 so they can see the printer…

When you double click the printer after finding it on both terminals, it automatically installs them on the terminals…

Then all you need to do is select the shared printer on either terminal and it will update the other 2 terminals/server.

Server will change to network drive but since the drive is accessible, it should still print even when the usb path in is a shared one.

The network ones you don’t need to share…
You just install them with the exact same names on each device.

Hope I made sense

I’m quoting this post from another post, as I think it’s a more relevant topic.

I just want to make sure I/we understand everything…

1. Your using 2 servers and 2 databases. Correct?
  2. If it is correct, you have it set up this way because of printer issues…Correct?
  3. Would you rather use 1 server/database for all your transactions?
  4. Is one of your printers a kitchen printer and 2 customer receipt printers?

I think if we get your printers sorted out, we can then use 1 server/database, then use 1 set of order numbers and tackle the different order types.

I don’t have a whole lot of experiences with shared & network printers in Samba (I only use local USB printers for receipts), but there are others here that will jump in and help out.

1 Like

I just want to make sure I/we understand everything…

1. Your using 2 servers and 2 databases. Correct? <===== Yes that it is correct

2. If it is correct, you have it set up this way because of printer issues…Correct? <===== Yes that it is correct, however it was also due to Delivery report by Deliverer, could not change Delivery terminals to reflect D & order tag resulting in D1. Most importantly on Delivery terminals my client wanted the Sales department to be hidden and the only way I could do that was to clear transactions then delete the Department.

3. Would you rather use 1 server/database for all your transactions? I would like to use 1 server, however my client wanted it separate. (but I recommended 1 ;))

4. Is one of your printers a kitchen printer and 2 customer receipt printers?<===== in the kitchen we have two printers one that prints fish and the other print everything else. Our customer facing tills have 3 receipt printers as they are all customer facing(we have added more printers). Delivery server also has a printer only for when we need to print a bill if there is a issue.

I think if we get your printers sorted out, we can then use 1 server/database, then use 1 set of order numbers and tackle the different order types. <===== Is it possible to have different kitchen order Templates just for delivery. All Delivery receipts just need to have a D in front of the order tag.

I don’t have a whole lot of experiences with shared & network printers in Samba (I only use local USB printers for receipts), but there are others here that will jump in and help out. <===== I appreciate it thanks a million. It would be easier if one could just define terminal printers in Sambapos whether network or USB. By define I mean when you select a printer in terminals it changes the server printer lol when you save it.

Maybe others on this forum can share a quick overview of how they layout their infrastructure/Design i.e 1 server printer connect this way, terminals like this etc.

Thank you for the information. That paints a better picture of what the setup is like.

It sounds to me the first thing that needs to try to be done, is convince the owner that using 1 database will be easier to deal with in the long run. You may have done such a good job of setting it up, that it might be difficult. :wink:

There are 3 common way to mark tickets by order types: Departments, Ticket Tags & Ticket Types. We know the owner doesn’t want department buttons, that means Departments are out. I think the next best way would be to use a Ticket Tag.

Here is one way a Ticket Tag setup would work:

This is what the above animation settings are:
qsOCy8qLtK

Again, this is only one way of adding Ticket Tags.

The other big advantage of running 1 database is reports. A report can be created show how much of an item has sold. Verses looking at 2 reports and adding them together with a calculator. With Ticket Tags, a report can created to show sales for each Ticket Tag.

Without the owner getting on board with using 1 database, there is not much that can be improve from what you have setup already.

2 Likes

Good News! @Bob_be , JTRTech we have moved over to using 1 Database now :wink:

I have quickly drawn a Network Diagram of our use case:

It’s a pleasure. Hope the Network Diagram is clear lol as it seems like I was scribbling. It works flawlessly on the Delivery system its just now in need of some fine tuning to get it 100% and display delivered order per driver in each column.

I like your way of selecting Order Type and we have something similar but it does not pop up. We can use Departments its just that he does not wan’t it to be displayed next to Keyboard. on the customer facing terminals he does not wan’t Delivery to display and on the Delivery terminals D1 and D2 he does not wan’t Sales and Collection to display :slight_smile: (So its just a question of I want it that way lol hehehehehe)

We will align ourselves with whatever you guys advise as much as possible.We are looking to make full use of Sambapos so that it can run smoothly without much issues.

@Bob_be have a question we have different Ticket Template + Kitchen Order Template for our Server, OP1 and OP2 we now want to push our previously created Delivery Ticket Template + Delivery Kitchen Order Template where ticket tag we have added the D in front of it.

This currently what it looks like:

I will call it Delivery Ticket Template and Delivery Kitchen Order Template which was working already now just have to figure how to map it to the D1 and D2 as I don’t see mappings for it.

Print jobs is where you map templates to printers.

1 Like

Works flawlessly, is there a way to exclude a printer e.g Fish printer as it default * this but I don’t wan’t to manually add each product and then set it to the correct printer. Trying to see if it sets by department.

What I’m trying to say is print all products to Gatsby printer except Fish.

No, can’t do exclude.
Personally l I use a custom state for kitchen/bar/coffe Station prints, its not mapped by product, just prints custom state print rather than status new and the custom states are set based on product tag. Documented on forum.
There is also a way to map to product tag but never used myself as mine was already setup using states.

@Bob_be this action that you have made am I right by saying that it is for a fast food environment? And is there a way to select a driver after clicking on delivery.

Over and above that what is the best way to export products and menu, colours etc and order tags from one DB to another DB as I searched the forum and management studio discussion not really a tutorial.

As advised by Sambasupport that we need to create a new DB so that our Delivered orders could pull up Driver information per column (right now it refuses to pull info I’m sure it must be a rule or action that is the culprit).

Thanking you in advance.

… that makes no sense to me,

So Delivered orders works from Advanced Delivery Configuration Setup and it works on the Delivery entity screen where you have Waiting Orders, Delivered Orders and Customer Search. So we created s new Drivers Entity screen to list Drivers with their assigned orders below their name and this was not pulling any orders under 4 columns which consists of Drivers name JUMA, RASHID, BUYA & MD.

Created an enity button and selected the Drivers name and entered it under caption.

Then created a ticket lister and put Drivers name where it would normally show delivering.

As it did not pull any information on this screen SambaPOS showed this work on a brand new DB and the did an import with their one that is working. This imported their Rules and Actions with dlv- and for the Delivery setup using the configuration task dlv_

OK, not that its pulling data from seccond dB.

Yep its not pulling order data just want to use the new DB so that this can work.

Hi guys I manually reentered all the products on the new DB.