Printing Tutorial in Detail

You can map whatever template you want to whatever department you want. You can name and rename templates to whatever you want as well even the built in examples can be renamed.

Kendash,
Thanks for the reply. I want to print, using different templates, to the kitchen printer. In the example below (taken from the bar printer example above) the print job mappings doesn’t have the department as option.

Regards

Mike

You don’t map department by the job you map it via the action that calls that Job.

Kendash,
I am always pleasantly surprised by the speed of replies on this forum.

I did think of that before but the print to kitchen is ‘fired’ by the clicking on the ‘Close’ button.
The sequence order is that the ‘Before ticket close’ rule is fired and this calls the ‘Execute Kitchen orders print job’ I couldn’t see a way of calling different rules from the action fired by the ‘Close’ button.

Regards

Mike

You can make two before closing rules map them to specific departments and they will only fire if that department is found. The built in rules and actions are not set in stone. Matter of fact there is no difference in them and any you make yourself. They are there simply so people have an easy start with samba. Imagine if he did not include a basic sample setup. Most people would think its broken.

Kendash,
Many thanks, with your help I think I have done it. For anyone else I have outlined what I did.

SETTINGS section

1. Clone the original ‘Kitchen printer windows’ in the Printer Templates section and name it ‘TA Kitchen printer windows

2. Modify the printer template as required (I added a big TAKE AWAY to the top, added several blank lines so that it is visible on the magnetic ticket holder and added the customer name)

3. Clone the original ‘Print Orders to Kitchen Printer’ in the ‘Print Jobs’ section and change its name to ‘TA Print Orders to Kitchen Printer

4. modify the template used to that in step 1) above.

AUTOMATIONS section
5) In the ‘Actions’ section clone the ‘Execute Kitchen Orders Print Job’ and name it ‘TA Execute Kitchen Orders Print Job
6) Change the ‘Print Job Name’ to ‘TA Print Orders to Kitchen Printer’ (defined in step 3) above)

1. In the ‘Rules’ section clone the original ‘Ticket Closing Rule’ and call it ‘TA Ticket Closing Rule
  2. Click on ‘Select Actions’ and delete the ‘Execute Kitchen Orders Print Job’ and add the and ‘TA Execute Kitchen Orders Print Job
    NB make sure that the ‘TA Execute Kitchen Orders Print Job’ is placed at the top of the list by dragging it up the order.
  3. map this new rule to the ‘TakeAway’ department. (NB change the original rule to use the ‘Restaurant’ department).

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mike

3 Likes

Great solution I am sure others will benefit thanks for sharing.

Kendash,
Unfortunately something has broken with this implementation. The close button on the takeaway order is no longer working and hence doesn’t print to the kitchen. At the moment we have to use the settle button from the takeaway screen and print the bill which seems to kick the process into action.

Looking at the scripts for the Ticket Closing Rules they are almost identical except for thier names

Ticket Closing Rule compared to TA Ticket Closing Rule
it has the following Actions selected
Execute Kitchen Orders Print Job compared to TA Execute Kitchen Orders Print Job and the mappings Restaurant department compared to Take Away.

Could it be that the actions Update Ticket Status and Update Order Status in the first rule are interfering and changing the status of the ticket and order? I was going to reverse the order of the rules in the Ticket Closing section but can’t see how to sort just these two. Should I remove the Update Ticket Status and Update Order Status from BOTH rules and have a third rule that does this only ?

I thought that I was getting the logic behind the order of actions until this road block. Any help / guidance is much appreciated.

Regards from Melbourne

Mike

Help, I have broken something within the rules. Before I started to change things I had 2 sections (with entity screens) Restaurant and Take Away and when I clicked on the button it opened the screen. However, since making some changes I have obviously made a mistake and can’t seem to undo what I have done. When I click on the take away I now get the screen below:

rather than the entity screen.

Does this mean that there is a ticket still needing to be closed ? If so it doesn’t appear in the tickets open or not. I am getting myself in a mess here and stupidly I have been working on the laptop and hadn’t realised that all the rules were stored in the SQL so it is updating the live version! Is there a way to selectively import the default rules so that I can check? That is what comes of having a quiet night and tinkering!

Regards

Mike

You probably messed with mapping and got it unmapped. Check the settings of your departments and ensure the Entity Screens are mapped to the right department. I recommend doing your testing and tinkering on a different database. If using SQL Express you can simply go to your connection string in Settings > Local Settings and change the Database Name to something else and it will load a fresh new database to play with. When your done tinkering just put the name of your previous database in the Connection String and it will load it right back up. You can easily swap between the two databases this way.

Hint: The new database will have all of the default sample data.

@michaeal_linahan

gsreddy,
Thanks, that was it. I don’t know how I changed that but… all’s well that ends well as my dear old mum used to say.

Mike

kendash,
I quite agree and actually thought I was but I had my lap top version pointed to the sql server and so was modifying the ‘working copy’.

I may have to think about how I will do this in the future but atleast I have purchased the database tools so can backup and restore easier.

Regards

Mike

You point it to the SQL server just you tell it a different db name. SQL server can run multiple databases.

How to share a same com4, port printer. Ie 2 pc one printer

Hi. How to not print bill certain product category? E.g.: all beverages will not be shown in customer receipt? I want to use it for my extras product category such as empty bowl, extra chilly, less sugar etc

See here for how to group and/or filter Products in Printer Templates:

2 Likes

Thanks QMcKay!!! . .

First off, Thanks for the great program.
It simply does the job and does it very very well.
I just installed it yesterday and am in the process of setting everything up.
For the most part, the tutorials have been more than helpful.
I’ve run into to roadblock with setting the printers.
I’ve replicated the tutorial here online, but the printers are not responding.
I have two kitchen printers connected to the computer via wifi router.
I’ve checked over the rules, actions, and print jobs to make sure they are in identical condition to the given in the tutorial. What other variables should I check?
Thanks in advance for all your help.

here are screen shots