Problems Connecting to windows Server 2012 Datacentre from a windows 7 terminal

Hi Forum

I am running tow PC’s one is loaded with windows server 2012 datacentre which has the SQLserver 2014 on that i access from Sambapos5 front end with the connection string localhost.

I have since changed the localhost setting in edit connection to the following
Data Source=Localhost\SAMBAPOS5;User Id=sa;Password=*******;Database=SambaPOS5
on the server this connects however only on the server, i have followed all the checks to enable tcp/ip connections I have checked the SQL Browser is running and i have opened the necessary ports but still my terminal will not connect.

My terminal connection string as follows
Data Source=GETAFIXSERVER\SAMBAPOS5;User Id=sa;Password=*******;Database=SambaPOS5

I have tried verious versions of this but it still refuses to connect.

I can connect no problem with SQL server manager and I replicate the connection string of this in SambaPos and still no joy.

I hope someone has a lightbulb moment and can assist.

Regards To All

Show a screenshot of the SSMS connection dialog (before you connect) and of the SSMS Object Explorer (left tree) from the Client Terminal.

When you say SQL Server Manager, do you mean you can connect to the SQL Server from the remote coputer using SQL Management Studio? If so, then this is a key piece of information. Seems very strange to me.

Just to confirm, in Management Studio, are you using the computer name (not IP address) and are you using SQL authentication (rather than Windows Authentication)

things need to to do on the Server (Datacenter)

1. turn off Firewall
  2. allow port 1433/1434
  3. enable SQL Server Configuration Manager
    - enable TCPIP and enable Named Pipes
  4. enable back windows firewall

Fire up and good to go

from your configuration
Data Source=GETAFIXSERVER\SAMBAPOS5

try changing to below :
Data Source=GETAFIXSERVER <====== should be your server name only

These two are for lack of a better word ‘contradictory’, turning off firewall would not be the solution, just a way to test if firewall is causing the issue. Turning off firewall is allowing all ports…
Recommend against just turning off firewall as a solution.

:bulb: Note that connecting to the Database and connecting to the Message Server are not the same thing. For your Client Terminals to work properly, you need to ensure both types of connection are working properly.

• Database connection requires open Firewall Ports TCP 1433 and UDP 1434.

• allows Terminals to read Product, Menu, and other configuration details

• Message Server connection requires open Firewall Port TCP 9000 (by default).

• communicates Screen Updates between Terminals, such as Entity State changes (ie. changing table color)

##Database Connection

Each Terminal (including the SERVER) needs to have the proper Connection String configured.

The Datasource parameter should be the Computer Name or IP Address of the SERVER machine where the Database is located, followed by the INSTANCENAME that was used when SQL Server Express was installed (by default: SQLEXPRESS), for example:

Data Source=SERVERNAME\INSTANCENAME; User Id=sa; Password=sambapos; Database=SambaPOS5jv;

Data Source=SERVER-PC\SQLEXPRESS; User Id=sa; Password=sambapos; Database=SambaPOS5;

Data Source=192.168.1.110\SQLEXPRESS; User Id=sa; Password=sambapos; Database=SambaPOS5;

##Message Server Connection

The Message Server Service should only be running on the SERVER machine. Client Terminals will connect to this Service so they can communicate between eachother.

In the Message Server configuration for each Terminal (including the SERVER), it needs to be configured to connect to the Message Server Service, as a Client.

The Message Server Name should be the Computer Name or IP Address of the SERVER machine where the Service is running.

Read the following Topic in it’s entirety for more information:

1 Like

way to go bro !!!:yum:

I have it working perfectly now the issue was with the ip address allocation but once I resolved this it all came together…Thanks for all the help!!