Rick's Tutorial 1 - Till Float

This tutorial will show a way to enter and remove a till float, and how to cash up and balance your till drawer at the end of the day so that your figures are balanced to zero and nothing is carried forward to the next work period except your shorts and overs.

This is my first tutorial so apologies if there are any small errors, and if anyone has a better way of doing this feel free to comment :smile:

Part 1 - Till Float Set Up

For this you will need the Following Automation Commands:

1. Enter Float
  2. Balance Float

The following Account Settings:

1. Account Type - Till Float
  2. Accounts - Float IN and Balance Float
  3. Account Screen - Floats
  4. Transaction Types - Float IN and Balance Float
  5. Document Types - Float IN and Balance Float

The Following Actions:

1. Create Account Transaction Document - Enter Float
  2. Create Account Transaction Document - Balance Float

The Following Rules:

1. Automation command Executed - Balance Float
  2. Work Period Started - Enter Float (automatically enter float value when opening work period)
  3. Automation Command Executed - Enter Float (optional if balancing and changing the drawer during a work period so you can replace the cash drawer with another and manually enter the float)

Automation Commands

1. Enter Float
    Automation-> Automation Commands-> Add Automation Command and set up Enter Float as below (leave mapping blank)

2. Balance Float
    Automation-> Automation Commands-> Add Automation Command and set up Balance Float as below (leave mapping blank)

Account Settings

1. Account Type - Till Float

Create an account type and call it “Till Float”

1. Accounts

Create two accounts, one called “Float IN” and the other called “Balance Float”
Click Accounts-> Add Account, Enter account name as “Float IN” and select account type as “Till Float” from account type we created in step 1

Repeat this step to set up the Balance Float account ensuring the account name is “Balance Float” and the account type is “Till Float”

1. Account Screen

Select Account Screens-> Add Account Screen, enter name as Floats, select Work Period as the filter type, ensure you have ticked Display as tree AND ticked Display Details (otherwise the balance float button will not work). Click select next to account type and add the “Till Float” account set up in step 1 and finally click select next to Automation Command and select Balance Float and Enter Float (Enter Float is optional and only needed if you will remove a float and start another in the same work period) dont forget to click SAVE

1. Transaction Types

Transaction Types-> Add Account Transaction Type and setup Float IN as below

Transaction Types-> Add Account Transaction Type and setup Balance Float as below

1. Document Types

Document Types-> Add Document Type and set up Float IN as below, mappings can be left blank

Document Types-> Add Document Type and set up Balance Float as below, mappings can be left blank

Actions

1. Create Account Transaction Document - Enter Float
    Automation-> Actions-> Add Action, set up Enter Float as below ensuring all account details are spelt exactly or it wont work, and that amount is set to [:Amount], this will allow you to enter an amount for you till float each time.

2. Create Account Transaction Document - Balance Float
    Automation-> Actions-> Add Action, set up Balance Float as below ensuring all account details are spelt exactly or it wont work, and that amount is set to [:Amount], this will allow you to enter an amount for you till float each time. In this action ive also added [:Description], this will allow you to enter a reason for removing the float, you will see further in the tutorial i have mine set to “EOD Reconciliation” which will show in the accounts. You can however set a keyboard to appear (when creating the rule) so you can type any reason you want, for example if you are changing the drawer during the work period you may want to type in the cashiers name so you know who was using that drawer

Rules

1. Automation command Executed - Balance Float
    Automation-> Rules-> Add Rule and set up balance float as below:

You can see i have Description set as “EOD Reconciliation” you could instead set this allow you to show a keyboard to manually type in the reason

Amount is set as [?Enter Remove Float Value;(\d{1}.\d{2}|\d{1}\d{1}?.\d{2}|\d{1}\d{1}\d{1}?.\d{2}|\d{1}\d{1}\d{1}\d{1}?.\d{2})?|0;;CON;49,50,51|52,53,54|55,56,57|190,48,8] and this will show a keypad so you can type the value if the float being removed, or if you always use a set value in your float such as ÂŁ100, then type 100.00 here instead and it will balance 100.00 instead of having to type it in. (in this case ensure you enter float is always set to the same value)

1. Work Period Started - Enter Float (automatically enter float value when opening work period)
    Automation-> Rules-> Add Rule and set up enter float float as below, this step will automatically happen after opening a work period

Either enter you float value if it is always the same such as 100.00 in the Amount or enter the following to show the keypad to manually enter
[?Enter Float Value;(\d{1}.\d{2}|\d{1}\d{1}?.\d{2}|\d{1}\d{1}\d{1}?.\d{2}|\d{1}\d{1}\d{1}\d{1}?.\d{2})?|0;;CON;49,50,51|52,53,54|55,56,57|190,48,8]

1. Automation Command Executed - Enter Float (optional if balancing and changing the drawer during a work period so you can replace the cash drawer with another and manually enter the float)

Automation-> Rules-> Add Rule and set up enter float float as below

Amount = [?Enter Float Value;(\d{1}.\d{2}|\d{1}\d{1}?.\d{2}|\d{1}\d{1}\d{1}?.\d{2}|\d{1}\d{1}\d{1}\d{1}?.\d{2})?|0;;CON;49,50,51|52,53,54|55,56,57|190,48,8]

This is the POS Flow after setting up the above
Open work period and prompted to enter float value (or if you have set this to a value eg ÂŁ100.00 the keypad wont show and the float will automatically be added)

Go to Accounts and you will see you have a cash figure of 50.00, the float value just entered

Press account details and change “default” to work period and you can see the record for Float In (ignore my balance brought forward figures im still testing my system)

click close to go back to the account screens

select the float account screen

you can see the 50.00 float value credited to the Float In account AND the two buttons (in my case red and green) for balance float and enter float.

Click on the float in line, then account details and it will display the log to view

to balance the float at end of work period OR when changing cash drawers select the Balance Float button and enter you float value to remove (should be the same value and float entered)

you will notice the float account screen doesnt refresh

simply click on the floats option at the top of the screen again and it will refresh and show that you have removed the float

Click on your sales account screen (ive called it sales you might have it as something else) and you can see the cash figure has now balanced at Zero as you have removed the 50.00 float that was previously entered

if you now click the cash line and click account details for the transaction log, the change “Default” to “Work Period” in the top left you can see float in 50.00 AND EOD Reconciliation 50.00 (again ignore my balance brought forward details, system is still in test)

You have now successfully balanced and removed the till float and these figures will NOT carry over to the next work period so when you start a new work period you float values will be zero. Remember to filter any reports or transaction details from Default to Work Period to just see the details for the current open work period

Hope this helps, Ill add a database tools file soon

Next tutorials will including balancing cash, card and vouchers to zero, moving shorts and overs to a shrinkage account so each work period starts with nothing carried over and a petty cash setup

9 Likes

@RickH nice tutorial
can u export these values using database tools just select the fields
thanks

Hi

Yea im going to try and put the database tools file on tonight and if i have time carry on with another cashing up tutorial

@RickH
thanks hope new tutorials comes

Sorry i didnt get chance yesterday ill upload database tools file later today

Database Tools File for Till Floats
Till Floats.zip (1.2 KB)

3 Likes

@RickH
can u use the export tool in sambapos coz i have problem importing the file
or export as text format

That is the export tool file.

1 Like

@RickH,

I followed the steps you described in your tutorial but the automation to ask for Enter Float Value doesn’t appear when I start a new Work Period. When I go to the Accounts -> Floats screen and press the Enter Float button, it doesn’t launch the Enter Float Value automation either.

I have double checked three times all the settings and they are all the same as what is described in the tutorial. What might have I done incorrectly? Thank you.

Can you show me the open work period rule with the action in to enter the float please it sounds like the rule isnt kicking in if you have set it up correctly

Also can you check you have added mappings to the rule as it wont work without

It is working now. I didn’t add the mappings for all the rules in your tutorial. Btw, I don’t think you mention about the mappings for the rules in your tutorial.

Anyway, your suggestion fix the issue.

If I want to make sure Balance Float is executed when the Work Period End then I just have to make a new Rule with Event Name “Work Period Ended” and the Action is to do “Balance Float”. Is that correct?

Thank you very much.

Btw,

What does the thing CON;[49,50,51|52,53,54
 and so on, do anyway? Just curious.

Yep to balance float at work period end do as you suggest, work period end rule with balance float action

That is the format for the custom keyboard, so the keypad that appears is due to the position and format of the numbers, you can design any keyboard you like. Search the forum for custom keyboard and theres a better explanation and some examples

Sorry we tend not to mention mappings as all rules need mappings to work so we assume that is known, when V5 launches (no date yet, were still testing) the rules will automatically have default mappings so we wont need to manually add them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

Is there any need for an update to this for V5, and if so, would you be able to add that?

Thank you :smile:

Hi ill add a database tools file soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes