SambaPOS Database Configuration

Im trying all tutorials including this one, also running @JohnS script for converting sdf to express 2012 DB -
cant manage to run sambapos with express 2012
(im testing it on my windows 8.1)

sorry for luck of details - its been 4 hours i spend on nada

im doin a test convertion before i’ll istall it on my running machine

@mayase, it should work under Windows 8.1 if all the steps are followed carefully, I have configured without any issues.

I did exacly step by step, i"ll try tomorow again on win 7

OK i finally managed to run all well and a green “Connected” (still trying on my windows 8.1), but i had to do some workarounds:
at first, i managed to run it as SQ mode but no message server connection so for that i stopped all services and manually run “Samba.MessagingServer.exe” (im putting it in windows startup) - i still dont understand how this should automatically work - is sambapos suppose to start it or i should do it manually - how this should be configures in its best? whats the difference between “Samba.MessagingServer.exe” “Samba.MessagingServer.WindowsService.exe” and “Samba.MessagingServerServiceTool.exe”
how sambapos* windows services should be configured?
etc.

the second problem i had was no integration/import from my SambaPOS4.sdf to my “MAYA-LAPTOP\SAMBAPOS4” SQL Express 2012 database. i used “Import_sql.bat” script: the script didnt create SambaPOS4.sql file - it split to 2 files SambaPOS4_0.sql and SambaPOS4_1.sql (my SambaPOS4.sdf file is 13,588kb), so i had to run each manually,
the second issue with the scrip was that the first part i had to run normal, and the second part i had to “Run as administrator” (from the part of “Changing SambaSettings.txt file to connect…”)
*running the first part as administrator - made some errors…

but whatever!, everything now WORKS!

@mayase, Message Server configuration is explained in detailed in following:

Thanks @morshed1 i missed that tutorial

Conversion from CE to SQL is never easy, which is why we keep saying setup SQL from the start.
Now that SambaPOS has Local SQL available during installation, it is very easy to move to SQL Express if needed.

HI, My database is working fine in server computer and rdp (tablets ) working fine, it is updating orders in server pos, BUT my problem is i have installed sambapos in another computer is same network and connected to work group.
it is keep on giving me connection string error, now i cant use sambapos in that new computer(terminal computer), I tried uninstall software and install again giving me same error message.

Do I have to install SQL server 2012 again in client or terminal computer ?
please help me with a solution , i have gone through all related discussion but couldn’t find a solution.
Thanks All.

Turn off windows firewall on the main computer.
You do not need to install SQL Server on any other computers.
Your connection string should be identical to the main computer.

Hi @JohnS
-firewall is off
-string is exactly the same,
-tried adding port number
no luck,

http://sambapos.org/wiki/doku.php/en/installing_sql_express_2012_for_sambapos_v3

Have you checked the settings in Section - 3. Enabling Network Services

Not being able to connect over the network is usually a Network Services issue with SQL Server, or you have not setup Mixed Mode authentication when you created the SAMAPOS3 instance.
See here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555332

PS - Port number will make no difference on a local network.

Thanks, I am sure that I have installed sql server correctly.
Network services are enabled
mixed mode is activated
any other way we can check connection from client computer to server computer database?
how can i even set back sambapos to normal mode( local database in document folder)
I tried uninstalling it and install again but i cant open same string problem coming up.
if i access the server as remote user does ticket prints on another printer?
I mean can we use another printer via remote access?

Try logging into SQL Server Management Studio using SQL Server Authentication

If you get an error then the Mixed Mode authentication is not working.

When you say ‘set back to normal mode’ are you using Compact SQL (CE) (SambaPOS4.sdf database file) on the main computer ?

The connection string is stored in the SambaSettings.txt file. To change your connection string, run SambaPOS, and when you get the error message that it cannot connect, change the connection string in the dialogue box and this will update the connection string - just run SambaPOS again.

You can control printing via Rule Mappings or in Manage->Settings->Terminals. Rule Mappings provides better control.

Hi All,
Sorted the problem, just updating the solution if somebody have problem with connecting terminal to server pc.
one is adding port number 1433 to tcp/ip in sql server configuration manager.

other is adding ip address of server-pc to the connection string

this will solve the problem, I am uploading this because I took one day to solve this
Thanks to All.
Sid.

1 Like

OK, it definitely isn’t the port number as SQL Server uses dynamic ports by default - which is why WIndows Firewall will always block SQL Server. This also makes me think that Named Pipes isn’t enabled in SQL Configuration.
The other reason could be that your computers can’t resolve NETBIOS Names (ie DNS), hence why you need to use IP addresses.

yes @JohnS might be, I have gone through all steps again and again the did all changes, then i installed sql server and checked is it connecting to network database or not, it was keep on failing then i tried with IP address then it going through. Once it connected the I made changes in connection string. All done!
Thanks…!!!

Please help!!!..Thanks!!!

can you please show your full connection string.

@siwa, from the SQL server management screen i can see the database name is TONY2013\SAMBAPOS3

so the connection string should start with:

Data Source=TONY2013\SAMBAPOS3; User id=

and NOT

Data source=localhost\SAMBAPOS3

if you can also show full connection string as per JohnS suggestion.