SambaPOS installation

hey ,
i need to use Sambapos v4 in one PC and one printer only with local database, what should i use in order to have the database ??

Either SQL Express or the Compact version.

SQL Express you can download from Microsoft website, CE can be downloaded within the Samba installer.

SQL Express is recommended.

We don’t recommend ce version. You should use localdb install or SQL express. If it’s single terminal then localdb install will be fine.

Sorry though localdb was V5 equivalent of CE for V4

SQL Express recommended all the way, use for all my systems, even stand alones.

1 Like

Localdb is not ce. It’s SQL express as a local installed instance instead of a service. It’s basically SQL express but only when Sambapos is running.

1 Like

I get that bit, sorry, think ive just confused myself. with which were options on which versions.

All three options were available on both versions. You can manage localdb with MSSMS just like full SQL express. Difference is it doesn’t support multi terminal.

Really! Fair enough.
What advantage is there of localdb over SQL Express? System requirements?

Localdb is much smaller install. It’s great for single terminal environment. You can easily upgrade localdb to full sql to add multi terminals support

1 Like

Is there any disadvantage to localdb other than easier to add terminal without then having to install SQL Express

No it’s SQL express its not a service it’s an instance. It can be upgraded by simply installing SQL express and choosing upgrade.

You can’t add terminals to localdb. It supports single terminal. But like I said you can easily upgrade it to full SQL express if need more terminals.

CE is different entirely and not recommended.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying that.

i only need one terminal but who know what will happen in future so i will go with SQL express but it had large size @Jesse @JTRTech Thanks

That will work fine. Localdb works fine too and is easy to upgrade to full SQL express. Either way is good option.

1 Like

Hi Kendash - any tutorial to upgrade from sql localdb to ms sql express 2014???

something which i can follow and upgrade.

Pretty sure you just pretty much install sql express.
If unsure just make a backup with the samba backup tool first which you could restore into SQL express after install.

Here is an SQL tutorial;

1 Like

backup your database then run and connect to SQL express and load the backup. So follow the tutorial J linked and then once connected to it load your backup. You can use the Database Backup module to do the backup.

1 Like