Second IE Window On Customer Display

Never tried, but I would suspect it still uses IE. Even if you uninstall IE, the IE component it uses likely remains in Windows as part of .net framework, or possibly even as part of SambaPOS

Sorry that’s wrong - it launches IE. I got mixed up with internal usage of IE and now Chromium.

Actually, you should try. Probably doesn’t work though as it launches IE, likely will just give error.

I’ve finally set up a VM and installed SambaPOS for testing.

A weird thing happened though. When I tried to restore the database I kept getting an error saying that the database was in single user mode and someone was already connected (so the restore failed). After trying everything under the sun to try and resolve it I was also working on how the testing was going to happen on a single screen.

I was searching on how to achieve the below:

and came across a post by @emre which stated that if I double click the SambaPOS logo in the top left of the screen it comes out of full screen mode (a hidden gem). I did that and noticed that the username that was connected to the database was the Windows username that I use to log on to my host PC! I added that username to be a database admin and it worked. The connection string in SambaPOS uses the database user ID and password but that doesn’t work? I would have thought that the host PC windows username would be independent of the VM?

The username displayed in the title bar of the window is your user name that’s connected to your license.

SambaPOS doesn’t not connect with integrated security meaning Windows credentials cannot be used and a username and password must be specified. This username and password are configured when you install the SQL Server engine so it can vary between instances.

Unless connected to a domain, your user SID should be different on the host and guest machines.

In the future if for some reason you’re stuck in single user mode, open SQL Server Management Studio, right-click on your database and select ‘Properties’. On the left, select ‘Options’ and on the right scroll to the bottom. Change ‘Restrict Access’ from this:

2020-11-01_07;46_1604238371_Ssms

to this:

2020-11-01_07;46_1604238382_Ssms

It can use windows Auth but you must setup the Windows network correctly for every machine or it won’t work. I always recommend mixed mode and use Sql server user to connect. On install of sql server be sure and check mixed mode. By default it has it as windows Auth.

I presume by editing the connection string directly, no?

Will use Windows auth when no user or password in connection string.
Mixed mode is much easier to manage for multiple terminals.

1 Like

I changed the state from single user to multi user several times. Each time I changed it it just reverted back to single user. I even tried a reboot after changing, then checked the state was in multi user. Fired up SambaPOS, ran the restore (which failed), checked the state and it was back to single user.

I’m using mixed mode :+1:

Mixed Mode

I have a unique username and password specified in the connection string.

If you mean within SambaPOS, Local Settings, Database, Edit Connection then yes.

I purchased the license under my business name, I use my business email to log into cp.sambapos. I can’t see any reference to my host PC username on the portal?

At the end of the day I’ve probably set something up incorrectly to cause this but it’s working so I’m just going to go with it. :grinning:

Thanks for all the responses. :+1:

I don’t recall that information either. I think the license is more concerned about your email address and whatever unique identifier SambaPOS generates.

This might help someone else :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You should go into the settings of the Customer Display Printer:
Customer Display

And make sure Kiosk mode is unticked:

Kiosk mode

Otherwise IE opens in Full Screen.

Sorry for digging this up, I just recently did a 2 terminal setup with customer displays, and this Duplicated IE window is kept happening, I wonder if you had any solution to it?

Did the change homepage actually still work up till now?

Nothing worked to resolve this as yet. I installed a screen recorder and have caught several instances of the second window opening. I haven’t replayed them all yet but it seems to always happen on the first sale of the day and only when Large (for the coffee size) is selected. One day I’ll have a decent look.
I’m going to try deleting the Large option then recreate it to see what happens.

Deleting and re-creating doesn’t have any effect. Another double up this morning.

1 Like

I had a bit of a look through my screen captures and it seems to be happening at the first sale of the day. The IE window for the first sale stays on top/front (so visible to the customer) and all subsequent sales take place on a 2nd IE window behind the first one. If I close the first (front) IE window everything goes smoothly throughout the rest of the day. But…it doesn’t happen every day:

Uninstalling IE gives this error:
IE Uninstalled

What rules are you using to fire the Customer displays?

I had some play around with the client’s database, and I changed the homepage of IE to the html file in Sambapos5 folder and reduced some of my over-complicated rules,
the double-ups seemed to have stopped.

Nothing too flash really. An Action:

Customer Display 3

A Print Job:

And a Template:

Customer Display 2

Here’s the text:
Template Text.zip (912 Bytes)

I added a ‘Timestamp’ to the display HTML to help with troubleshooting. After ages trawling throuh forums trying to find a simple way to do this I found that SambaPOS already has that facility.
I started with {TIME}, which returned ‘HH:mm AM’ (or PM) but found that {DATE:HH:mm} suited my needs better as it gives a 24 hour format :+1:t2:

Haven’t had any 2nd IE windows since though. :thinking:

2 Likes