Seperating accounts on same ticket

Hi ! I need some help with a configuration I would like to set up, as it would make life so much easier !
Basically, I run, in France, a Bar/Restaurant, which also sells cigarettes. For accounting reasons, the sale of cigarettes needs to be seperate. So up to now, I have done this by having a Bar/Restaurant departement, and a different departement for cigarettes, so when people pay for Bar/Restaurant, it goes into one account, and cigarettes another account (so that at the end of the day, i can see that i sold X€ of Bar/Restaurant et Y€ of cigarettes. The problem i have, is when a customer wants to buy, for example, a pint of beer and a packet of cigarettes. To do this, i must cash in the beer, then the cigarettes. This is ok if i have one customer, and just two items, but when the restaurant is full, lots of people are managing the till and people have complicated orders, and want cigarettes on top of this, its extreamly complicated, errors are made, packets are lost etc.
So i was wondering if maybe there was a way to bypass this, so I could, on the same ticket, order Drinks, food etc, and cigarettes, but that on the accounting side of it, it would still be seperate !

If anyone can help me, that would just be fantastic ! :slight_smile:

Is menu item group not enough? That is reported seperatly?
Or you could custom report the cigerete sales seperatly.
Is there perticular reason they need to be in their own sales account?

I put them on their own sales account so that when i print the report, i have the exact amount of cigarettes sold. If i put them all on the same departement, i dont see how I could seperate the sales ?

Amount? You mean value?

This is what I would use group code for;

Item sales is on the bottom of the default work period report and sives a sumary by groupcode;

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I need to differentiate payement methods as well.
So at the end of the day, I need to know :
Cash (Bar)
Cash (Cigarettes)
Credit Card (Bar)
Credit Card (Cigarettes)
And other payment methods, but still seperated !
If you see what I mean…

I created a tutorial. Hope it helps.

2 Likes

Hmm I wish you said that before I wrote the tutorial :stuck_out_tongue:

That completely changes the case. Can you explain how you’ll separate them? I mean if customer buys $8 beer and $5 cigarette and if he pays $10 credit card and $3 cash how you’ll determine if he paid $3 for beer or cigarette?

1 Like

This is a concept I have tried to explain to people a few times when they have been looking at reports, sales and payments are not intertwined at the order level…

@ashmiller can you elaborate why you need to know cash/card split for them like that?
Usually its tax reasons people feel they need this split but it is often not practical.
Generally tax is sales based and all you want to do is balance payments against sales… Tax man isnt usually too bothered if you are paid in cash or card so long as you are declaring the correct about of sales.

2 Likes

I see what you are saying yes…
But my accountant specifically asks for, at each end of day, how much CASH/CARD earned in bar/restaurant, and the same for cigarettes.

I did think of a way around it, though i would need your help setting up.
@emre, in your tutorial, you explained how to limit payment types by menu item group. Could this not be a solution?
I have drawn a diagram as i dont know how to program it :stuck_out_tongue:

So basically each payment method is separated, but still on same ticket ! Is this possible ??
(Sorry for the drawing haha ;))

What country are you in? Those seem like some very specific requirements from the accountant…
Based on your picture you will need to duplicate your payment accounts and types etc and set max values using report based tags to calculate the total for the split.
You will need them to be unique so would have say;
Cash (Food)
Cash (Tobacco)
Card (Food)
Card (Tobacco)
You would need separate accounts etc for each.
That would give you what your picture shows.

As for Bar/Restaurant… Your accountant wants this same cash/card split seperatly for each?..
Are they separate companies?

How are you defining these? Departments? Ticket Tags? Terminals?
You could potentially just report these the breakdown from that part if have setup so that a ticket can only be one of the other… If someone can eat in the restaurant and have drink in the bar on the same ticket your going to have to get very very complex to come even close…

Personally I would query harder with the accountant… that seems a very odd requirement and cant imagine any POS would offer that in a report as standard.

My accounts are already seperated, so when I go on Tabacco department, and make a transaction, it’s on a separate account.
The bar restaurant is on same account, but Tabacco, which is a very strict regime in France, where I live, apparently must be completely separate, but I will query the accountant again.

At the moment, I can order food and drink on same ticket, but must create another for Tabacco.

It looks possible when used with separate payment account and limit payments processor. You can try that when .61 releases.

When is the release ?

We are testing it at the moment in the beta section, so it should be in the near future be it 1 day to 2 months ( i would think at maximum)

Hey,
Any news on release of .61? Thanks

Look like it’s still in beta, there is allot of work on API happening at the minute which I think is the main reason for the hold up on release.

1 Like

@ashmiller if you’re interested I can add your account to beta group so you can test that.

Yes that would be great !

1 Like

Done! Search for 5.1.61 topic for latest updates.

1 Like