Simple setup of 21% VAT

I can’t seem to find a simple tutorial to set up 21% VAT in V4. No, I do not need to set different tax rates according to product types and the weather forecast, or all the complicated setup tutorials I have been reading over the last hours.

Currently the statement TAXES TOTAL in my ticket gives 0,00, how do I set that to display 21%?

I have tried the calculation expressions, but they either give me no decimals, or only decimals, with no ‘0’ infront.

Anyone?

Thank you so much,

William

https://sambapos.org/wiki/doku.php/en/how_to_configure_multiple_taxes

Same principle for V4 or V5 you just dont need multiple taxes, set the mapping to everything instead of by category.

Sabata,

Thank you very much for your swift reply.

Your tutorial seems to be of an older version of SambaPOS and the options shown are not the ones I have in my configuration screen.

I am sure that in Europe most of the users (if not all) need to set up their VAT, why can´t we just set it for all Sales Transactions? Thisd instead of creating new account types, etc. I have tried setting up a simple TAX Template, but it keeps telling me the transaction type is already used. Thats fine, but then let me edit it to 21%.

Dont worry its simple to setup taxes. You have to setup your own transaction type. Let me show you. One moment.

Create an Account Type for your taxes I called mine Taxes.

Create your Tax Account set Account Type to the type you just created in step 1.

Now create your transaction type. Pay attention to where I set Receivables and the Tax account…it has to be setup this way.

Finally setup your Tax Template. Choose the new transaction type.

Give it default mapping so it applies it to all tickets.

That is it you are done.

1 Like

Kendash,

Thanks, I’ll go through this setup. Will it show the 21% on the tickets as TOTAL TAXES?

In your Printer Template named “Ticket Template”:

Put this in the [LAYOUT] Section somewhere:

{TAXES}
<J00>Tax Total:|{TAX TOTAL}

The first line is a “placeholder” for a “Taxes” Section.
The second line prints the Tax Total.

Near the bottom of your Template, ensure you have a [TAXES] Section like this:

[TAXES]
<J00>Tax {TAX NAME} ({TAX RATE}%):|{TAX AMOUNT}

The first line defines your “Taxes” Section.
The second line will print Tax information for each Tax Template that you have defined. In your case, you have only 1 Tax Template, so it will print a single line.

If you named your Tax Template “VAT” and it is set to 21, then your print will produce something like this for a Ticket having a Total of 3:

Tax VAT (21%):                   0.63
Tax Total:                       0.63

QMcKay,

Thanks for your input. I need to reload the whole program again, without example data. It seems that nothing is editable, due to database restrictions. I’ll let you know if we are operational tonight in our brand new restaurant, here in Spain.

To all,

It seems it’s going to be a long struggle. I just removed the entire program and reinstalled it, but it still brings the old data back, which is not editable… I’ll do it again, after searching for residue files that it seems to not remove.

I am not a novice at IT, 15 years of leading development of financial systems for IBM… This program is made for and by developers, not endusers.

There is quite a steep learning curve but by no means is it only suitable for developers, on the contary it take away the need to be a developer by giving a GUI to quite complex system.

If you setup using SQL uninstalling will not clear all data as most is stored in the SQL database, NOT the software itself.
Change the database name will give you a blank database, although for beginers I would start with the sample data.

1 Like

JTRTech,

Sure, there is quite an extensive GUI over the code, but there are just too many quirks, when writing and reading from such code to an SQL. Endusers are not going to be expecting these. They think to simply change the name ‘coffee’ into ‘beer’ and then when they switch to the POS screen they expect to see ‘beer’. That is not the case with this program, it still says ‘coffee’.

The reason for this is simple, because the button header IS NOT the exact product name, you can abbreviate or set custom newline breaks. This WOULD NOT be possible if the button header was EXACT product name.
This means you can have the product name as full actual name but shorten or customise the button header to keep button text short and larger than having a full product name.
Ideal for things like wine and more complexly named food dishes.
If you change the product name you also need to update the header.
New buttons will automatically take the product name.
This issue is only on CHANGING a product name.

Your example of changing Beer to Coffee is not good as you should create a new product and add it.
Chanes are you are not going to have coffee and beer in the same category anyway and would need to remove the coffee button and add the new/updated beer product to the drinks/alcohol category.

2 Likes

JTRTech,

I think you’re missing my point here, but that’s ok. Thanks to QMcKay and Kendash, I got my tickets VAT issue sorted out and I am slowly getting my products screens set up. Tonight we’ll be using SambaPOS in our restaurant. And of course, if we like it, I’ll be more than happy to buy a license and support further development.

Please enlighten me by all means, what was the point you were trying to make?

It might appear that way at first, but I disagree. It is made in such a way that End Users are given the Power and Flexibility to customize the way it operates in nearly every aspect.

This is fundamentally different than any other POS system to date. No other system allows for this customization by the End User. Things in other POS systems are hard-coded and black-boxed and must be modified at the source or by means of addon modules at extra cost.

SambaPOS is not like that. It is for the the User, not against the User. Not for a cashier or server, but for an Administrator of the System.

For simple operations (such as setting up a Tax Template), there are fairly clear Tutorials for this.

For the point that you express about changing a Product Name … this is by design, and even End Users (Admins) who are not Developers should be able to understand this following simple concept:

Products could be ANYTHING you want them to be. But that does not necessarily mean you want to display that Product on your MENU. That is the reason for the separation of Products and Menu Items. They are not the same thing, nor should they be. You can have a Product called “Sub Bun” or “Mustard”, but you do not want those to appear on your MENU.

So if you change a Product Name, you need to change the Menu Item Name as well… or NOT - this is up to you. Simple example:

Product: Montes Cabernet Sauvignon
Menu Item: House Red Wine (Menu Item Header)

Next month, my House Red Wine might change to Toscanello Sangiovese.

At any point in time, I can change the Product. I could change the Product Name, and my Inventory and Sales Reports would begin to show Sales of Sangiovese, and Sales of the Montes would cease at that point. However, even renaming a Product is not recommended…

Instead, you add a NEW Product for the Sangiovese, and leave the Montes Product in place. Then you go into the MENU and remove the Montes Menu Item (remove House Red Wine). Then you add the Sangiovese Product to the Menu, and edit the Menu Item Header to become House Red Wine (because by default the Menu Item will take on the Sangiovese Product Name).

Regarding the DB and UNinstallation. Uninstall the Program, but you don’t lose your Data. I would expect most people would want this, because almost all configuration data is stored in the Database. This too should make sense to most people. Afterall, if I uninstall MS Office, I don’t want to lose my Excel or Word documents.

6 Likes