SQL Express 2014 Installation - [BONUS] How to Convert from CE to SQL Express

Trying get a new license yet another machine, however when I install the SQL Express 2014, it found that the system already has a higher version of the .Net Framework. The .Net 3.5 Service Pack 1 is no longer available from Microsoft, so where to find a copy and how to downgrade .Net Framework.

Also, I think my other system have .NET Framework of higher version and I still can run the SQL Express and Samba POS v5.

Can you send a screenshot of where it says that you it has a higher version already installed? Usually if it has a higher version its never caused a problem to install it.

1 Like

If your installing fresh sql go ahead and get latest version which is 2016.

2 Likes

Agreed but this machine seems not too standard. I will get screen shot when I get back to that machine.

1 Like

SambaPOS requires .NET 4.5

Probably SQL 2014 requires that too.

Either way, there is no point in even trying to “downgrade” .NET to an earlier version.

update:
Just try to reinstall several things .Net and SQL all seems to get stuck at the .NET compatibility. It may be a bad copy of the old version(4.0) installed and or some registry is messed up preventing the upgrade and/or the compatibility check of SQL installation.
Now, the task becomes finding how to delete the .Net completely and reinstall a fresh copy.

Good day Kendash. What if after generate the sqlce file, it comes out 4 files. which one should we choose? why it come out separate 4?
file name :
mysambaposdata_0000.sqlce
mysambaposdata_0001.sqlce
mysambaposdata_0002.sqlce
mysambaposdata_0003.sqlce

You use them all. It has size limits. Run each one in sequence.

thanks for fast reply :smile:

1 Like

The original location referred to above for the Toolbox looks to have changed. It eventually points to here: https://ci.appveyor.com/api/projects/ErikEJ/sqlcetoolbox/artifacts/SqlCe40ToolBox.zip?branch=master

@Jesse Can we use SQL Express 2019?

Yes you can use latest version.