SQL server service not running issue

Because system restore upon a fresh install was somehow disabled so there was nothing to restore to… After soon much fiddling around the situation ended up getting worse to the point where I could neither install or uninstall SQL. So luckily I had a backup of database available. I fired it up on a remote test machine, and ran samba locally without a database, reconfigured the basics to get them up and running, then I went back on site, and literally reinstalled windows and started from scratch.

Installed SQL , samba and all relevant updates, restored database and its all working again…
I must say it was one of the most annoying SQL error encounters I have ever faced. After 12-14 straight hours of attempts to fix the issue ended up with no result…

Its all fixed now :D. Thanks for all your fast input. It was very helpful :).

1 Like

UPDATE: Ok I’ve had sql 2014 installed on my personal laptop for just over a year now without issues. 6 months updated to windows 10. This morning I had to start preparing a demo for a new to be client, only to access sql management and the EXACT SAME PROBLEM OCCURED!

I honestly think windows 10 recent updates have got something to do with this. On a client’s system and now my laptop, did have win 10 updates it needed to install. only to restart saying it failed, I have a feeling its connected. I’m going try to narrow it down to the source.

I’m constantly getting clients calling because the SQL never started automatically and are getting DB errors.

Very frustrating

Windows 10 sensational right?

As a side issue, when I was on site just before a demo & some training my system decided to automatically start the Win 10 Free installation (probably because I had hit the “no” button too may times). Got back to my main development system with 10 staff in tow only to see the Red Screen “do not switch off” … :confounded:

2 Likes

Only 3 more days of pressing no :slight_smile: LOL

1 Like

Anyone tried this delayed start setting? Correct me if I’m wrong but It seems like a new setting to me.

1 Like

Hey @emre I have actually tried that delayed start. On my own machine and on the clients. Its supposed to delay the start of the service at the beginning of when windows loads to allow older machines to start a bit quicker. So it would start all the essentials, then after some time it would start that service, but regardless of that, SQL service just did not want to start at all. I tried starting it from services.MSC and didn’t work, tried registry config, that didn’t work. Tried SQL config, with same delayed start and still didn’t work…literally no options made SQL service start. I was forced at the end to actually use the reset machine to default with win 10. Only after I did that and installed everything fresh it started working as it should.

I highly believe the win 10 SQL updates may have caused it to stop working. Because I noticed after all win 10 updates get installed, there comes along some SQL updates from win update centre, and when it tries to install them. It fails every time and I think due to it failing, its causing a malfunction with SQL server start service

1 Like

Odd i havnt experienced it yet and i get all updates. Ill keep watching and ill research it.

What I noticed did work is installing a new SQL server and instance, but trying to restore a db backup used in a different instance already installed on system, makes the restore process fail every time with an error saying it cannot find the instance location.
So you would literally have to make a new db and connect samba that way. But no one wants to redo everything they worked so hard on all over again. Thus as previously suggested by a member here

Allow system restore points, so at least you can restore to previous times in case something like this happens, otherwise you may end up having to reset entire PC on win 10

Surely its been reported to microsoft. Ill look see what i find.

I see a lot of discussion about it and most of them involve 2014 and 2008 versions. Has anyone here experienced it with recently released 2016 version?

I just recently actually installed sql 2016, and to my surprise!!! sql service started again?! and I had access to my database in 2014… So weird. I think the win 10 sql update mustve triggered the sql service start file to corrupt, and 2016 may have fixed it…

From what ive read the issue is prevailent with 2014 and 2008 but so far 2016 seems immune.

1 Like

so this means by far 2016 is far more stable than others. Alright! time to ready a batch upgrade of all client systems to 2016 :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I have not seen the problem either. And both my Prod systems run SQL 2014, Win 10 and get updates. Still, this scares the shit out of me. I can’t have them go down due to some corrupted MS update bullshit.

It is not. Been there since Win 7.

Well, there be the deciding factor to upgrade my systems from 2014.

I hace a intel core i7 notebook, NEW, brand NEW, fresh install, the only think running there is an antivirus AVG (latest install), samba and SQL 2014.

I had this problem, service sometimes not starting FOREVER. not even MS knows whats wrong… I have a friend here in NATAL, taht works in MS lab… he had this notebook for two days…

The bottom line… its MICROSOFT… it can fail…

sometimes it boot up the notebook and service starts without problems… 1 or 2 out of 10 service does not start, it does not fail… it does simply not start.

I iupgraded to 2016… seems that problems are less frequent… sometimes, very rarely, but sometimes service does not start…

G.

I have seen that olny in win10… it does not do any difference… at least for me…

G.

I did happen to me yesterday. SQL Agent start then stop. Tried many things suggested online nothing work. I have to restore to before windows 10 latest update. Update really screw up workgroup/home group. After estate every thing work fine.

We should just make sure from now on to have system restore points setup for win10 and continuous backups just in case something like this occurs. I have a feeling it’s going to happen often with older versions of sql. Possibly good to advise all samba users about this conflict so people are aware just in case they are affected also

2 Likes

Finally can confirm that with SQL SERVER 2016 after 30 reboots no problems with service starting… GREAT!!!

G.

2 Likes