Tracking Inventory with portions or order tags

Hi Guys
I have a new business supplying Animal feeds. I buy a 30 Kg bag of a feed type, which I can sell as a whole for a price. Then I can also sell 1kg, 2kg, 3kg etc bags which I measure out myself at a higher price.
I have tried order tags but if I click on the POS item like the whole bag, when I move to the order tag, say the customer only wants to buy 2kg, then I have to manually delete the bag and leave just the order tag and the inventory count doesn’t move. I have had no luck with portions either. Any ideas how to make the POS screen easy and the inventory count work?
Rgds
Outback Jack

Have a look under products

Or you could create seperate products for each weight if youre only going to have 1kg, 2kg etc etc and use sub menus

So you might have a feed category, that when selected displays the different types of feed. Then you select the type of feed which opens the sub menu where you select the weights you have created in products or the whole bag and setup your receipe in inventory to adjust the stock

I seem to be getting nowhere with this. I didn’t really get the sub-menus to work so I set up separate products for each weight and decided to call the category, the product name. So that worked OK but then when I try to make my inventory work, I am selling 1kg. 2kg, 3kg and 4kg portions etc from the same 30kg bag. Using the multiplier as 1 for a whole bag, 30 for 1kg, 15 for 2kg etc. Had a problem with a 4 kg bag because I couldn’t use 7.5 as the multiplier.
However, when I ran the test in the inventory I have a 30 kg bags stock and usage count and kgs stock and usage; cannot seem to make it work from just the 30 kg bags. Spent a long time on it and it’s driving me nuts!
Otherwise, I would have thought portions should work but I can’t get my head round linking portions to the inventory.
I know you smart guys out there will have the answer.
Thanks in advance, all working really well for my bar and restaurant but this animal feeds is another venture.
Outback Jack in Thailand

I have seed inventory item.

Created two products as Bag Seed, KG Seed. Left portions as default. Just set base prices.

Bag seed product recipe.

KG seed product recipe.

This is how I sell Seed. I’m using Numberpad to set quantity while adding KG Seed product.

This is how I purchase seed.

… and how inventory updates.

2 Likes

Thanks it helps lot of people as lack of setup , May I request you to also guide order tag inventory tracking please this is really asked by many people even I trying to find but no luck . once again thanks a lot for time and piece of POS.

Order Tag inventory tracking has been demonstrated many times before on the forum.

What Emre showed has been demonstrated many times as well. I suggest you utilize the search function of the forum as I demonstrated in the screenshot above.

PS: I typed simple Order tag inventory and it came up with multiple discussions about it which took a total of about 3 seconds.

2 Likes

There is nothing special with order tag inventory tracking. You map products to order tags and when orders tagged with that tag mapped product’s inventory decreases. Think main product as Hamburger Menu. If you tag it with Coke tag, Coke inventory decreases or if you tag it with Fanta, Fanta decreases.

There might be different uses cases too but I can’t think an example atm that fits to seed selling case.

Thanks A lot yes its simple as, how did I missed sorry ,

Hi Emre
Thanks for your prompt reply and it really helped; I’m currently setting it up and hope to go live in a few days after testing.
I would say to kendash, that none of the items I had looked at really fitted what I wanted and it wasn’t clear to me that I could do what Emre demonstrated; it is simple to set up one inventory item using two different products but not that obvious if you don’t know; I was always thinking, one product one inventory item; clearly wrong!
You must remember that you guys are much more familiar with the system than most of your users, that’s why we come to the forum.
Hats off to all of you!
Rgds Outback Jack

I was once in your shoes and it was less than a year ago. I used the forum reading and practicing various tutorials and discussions. I am not saying don’t ask questions I am just saying many many people are just like you and more often than not there is already detailed conversations in the forum covering most of those topics.

I encourage people to use forum search because it is faster than waiting for a forum response.

2 Likes

@outback Kendash probably answered most questions in the entire SambaPOS history. What he is pointing to is doing a search before asking a question is a good practice as %50 of daily questions we answer are some common questions that are already answered.

1 Like

I was really agreeing with you both, Emre & Kendash, I have used the forum extensively and it has been a tremendous aid; I was just stuck with this one, maybe too much on my plate and not concentrating properly.

No problem, we’re trying to help each other here. As we read every word posted here we notice lot’s of people just asking questions without searching first (for various reasons) and we think it is useful to remind that when needed because that forum function is really useful for most common cases.

2 Likes