Txt to SQL Express? SambaPOS4

Hi guys, thanks for great software, wanted to install RDP and realized that i was using txt database. Any chances to transfer all data to SQL? Thanks

Thanks for reply, but as i mention earlier my db is txt, and i cannot find .sdf file

@expertum did you installed latest V4? Some prior versions incorrectly displayed localdb as txt. If you’ve really used txt than you have to start from the beginning.

Hi @emre Yes i installed SambaPos4 (4.1.32 Beta), it shows db as TX, but i cant find it…

Probably you’re using SQL Server LocalDB. Updgrade to 4.1.48 to ensure that.

Thanks for reply :slight_smile: How can i check that? Or how can i upgrade? If i upgrade will i keep all previous data?

Double-click on SambaPOS title to bring it out of full-screen mode, to reveal version and DB type.

Thanks i did that already it shows TX, but if you read earlier post, @emre mentioned that there is the chance i have SQL Server LocalDB, so im trying to figure out how to check my DB

If you upgrade all your data will be fine.

Thanks, i found mdf file, does it meant my db is TXT or SQL?

if it is named as SambaPOS4.mdf it can be …

• You can use SQL Server Management Studio to see if you have a working SQL Server instance and what databases it contains and what data these databases have.
  • You can attach that mdf to a SQL Server and see what that mdf file contains.
  • You can upgrade SambaPOS to see if database label changes to SQ or not. Of course you’ll not loose your data when you upgrade. Every week we’re releasing updates so you’ll do it frequently. If you still don’t feel safe about upgrading you can copy SambaPOS4.mdf and related ldf file somewhere so if something unexpected happens you can roll back to working version.

Thanks, :slight_smile: After updating now its SQL…

However that possibly is not SQL Server Express. By default SambaPOS installs a single user SQL Server edition called SQL Server Local DB. When you need to setup a network connection you can easily upgrade it to SQL Server Express by changing upgrade option while installing SQL Express.

You are right, installation was successful, and mine is SQL Server Local DB, but now i cant lunch SambaPOS: connection string error

Found right string, sorry to bother you guys, im a bit confused, if im entering string: Data source=localhost\SAMBAPOS4; User Id=sa; Password=sambapos, it connects but all the entities are empty, but if i remove the string, leave it empty, it connects to my previous system with all the data, so what should i do now?

Your working database is sdf. You need to migrate it to sql Follow the instructions here.

No your database is not sdf. You have multiple instances of SQL Server.

If you own database backup module there is an easy solution.

1. Leave connection string Empty > Restart SambaPOS > Create Backup.
  2. Set connection string > Restart SambaPOS > Restore Backup.

PS: @pizzaeilat4 for few recent releases we’re installing SQL Server Local DB instead of SQL Server CE.

Okay sorry emre I was not aware of this change

HI, thanks, yes i did like you describe but somewhy my data wasnt transfered properly, anyway already input all data, have question reg RDP, setup everything but cant connect to my computer thru static IP like John describe in his Manual, my computer is on Windows 7 Ultimate. When in tried to set up static IP like in Manual, my connection to internet is not working, any advice guys?