URGENT: Printing Problem

My restaurant opened last week and we are experiencing a printing issue for which I can’t seem to determine the cause. It does not seem to be an issue with the way that SambaPOS is configured, but rather with either our network or the Windows print queue management.

We are running SambaPOS V5.1.57. There are four ASUS M81C tablets being used as server terminals. They are connected via wifi to the database computer. All computers are running Windows 10 Home Edition. There are four networked printers. They are Star Micronics SP742 dot matrix impact printers with ethernet interface. We have them connected via wifi as well via the use of TP-LINK TL-WR702N mini wireless routers in client mode. The printers are shared with the tablets through the database computer. They are mapped in SambaPOS like this: \SPORKBOX\Star Printer 1. The router providing the wireless network on which all of this is running is a Linksys E1200 V2.

I can start up SambaPOS on all four tablets and they are connecting to the database and message server without issue. I can enter in an order on each of them, submit them all simultaneously, and they will all print every item correctly to the printer on which it is mapped. The problem only pops up in the middle of dinner service, and I can not seem to replicate it. Occasionally orders submitted on a tablet will just stop printing. This is sometimes, but not always, accompanied by an ‘Invalid Printer’ error. The order does not show in the Windows print queue. It is as if it were never sent. This error can apply either to a single printer or multiple printers. Sometimes just the job mapped to one of the printers does not print. Other times none of the jobs print. Once it occurs, the problem will persist with each order and is resolved upon restarting the tablet.

This problem is creating major issues for us in the flow of dinner service. Our servers are forced to independently confirm that each job has printed after entering every order which is pulling them away from where they need to be on the floor. I’m pulling my hair out because there are a thousand other things that require my attention and I need to fix this so I can direct my focus where it is needed.

We are offering $150 an hour to resolve this problem. Payment will be made via bitcoin.

As a first step, given you have ethernet printers, you should set up the terminals / tablets to print directly to the printers - don’t share them via the database computer. Make sure all printers are named the same on each tablet / terminal for ease of use with SambaPOS. Try that first, it might solve your problems. :slightly_smiling:

It is very unlikely to have anything to do with your network or router. The sharing of the printer might be related to firewall issues both on the server computer or tablets. That’s why I suggest as above, and there is no point to be sharing ethernet printers.

1 Like

It could also be wireless signal loss.

Actually I have had problems before with Windows 10 tablets losing connection, however it is not related to printing, moreso they lose connection to SambaPOS as well. The fact you can save the order from the tablet and SambaPOS continues to work does mean your tablet is connected to wifi, however it could be at the moment when something is sent to the printer, you momentarily lose wireless signal, like @Jesse mentioned.

I have seen with Windows 10 tablets sometimes when the battery level goes to 20% and the Battery Saver feature is activated, wifi signal can be lost or have reduced signal strength. You can turn off this setting in power options and see if it resolves. Also you can keep an eye on it and look for anything consistent, like low battery, when a tablet fails.

When I first read your question I missed that you were using the TP-Link mini wireless routers in client mode to effectively make the ethernet printers into wireless printers. This part alone has the potential to make the setup unreliable - I would never advise connecting a printer via wireless because reliability cannot be guaranteed, many things can affect wireless signal, and having so many potential points of failure makes it very difficult to diagnose a problem like you are having. Is it possible to connect even a few of the printers directly to your router or network switch? Not knowing your exact setup and need for 4 printers, is it possible you can limit the number of essential printers for kitchen down to only those you can connect via ethernet cable, at least for the moment? Simplify your setup and see if it makes a difference.

I know this is not ideal when you just opened, however in my professional opinion had I have a client want to setup like you have, I would strongly advise against and look for better options to give less possible points of failure. I know you have posted an ad here and hope to find someone to fix this for you, but I feel there is too many possibilities and would be very difficult for someone to diagnose remotely or at least not be available the moment you have a problem so it can be diagnosed further. I hope my suggestions can give you some areas to investigate further. :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Its not a good idea to have the printers connected wireless if you can run ethernet its best.

I don’t believe it is the wireless signal to the printers. The database computer has never failed to print. Often only a single tablet will stop printing. The other tablets continue printing without issue. The failure seems to be quarantined to individual tablets, rather than individual printers. It is not possible to reduce the number of printers. I have two for the kitchen, one for the bar, and one for the floor. Each of them serves an important role. It is possible to run cat5 to the printers and setting them up to print directly rather than shared through the database computer. Just a matter of drilling through the floors and walls in a few places. It’ll be a nice stress reliever. :slightly_smiling:

As I am writing this it seems apparent that the printer sharing seems like a likely culprit, so hopefully printing directly will resolve that. I will update this thread once I run the cat5 and test it out.

1 Like

Please note that sharing printers from the database computer is not related to running cat5 cable to printers. You should run the cat5 cabling to printers and eliminate the tp-link wireless routers connected to the printers, however the step to not share via database computer is separate.

What I mean is I assume you have 4 printers installed on database computer then shared via Windows printer sharing. On the database computer they are connected via Ethernet wirelessly, each printer is set to the IP address or host name of the printer within the printer settings. So the step I first suggested about not sharing is that on each tablet you replicate the printer setup as on database compiuter - you install each printer and set driver to connect to Ethernet printer via IP address or host name. On each system you name printer the same, for example Kitchen1 is called same on database computer and on all tablets. Then no need to change anything in sambapos for printing from different tablets. Do this first before you run any cat5 cabling, you need to do it regardless you do cabling or not.

4 Likes

I understand. Thanks.

1 Like