URGENT Running Live! Printing Issue......Kitchen Order not printing

the system ip address is static

@Jesse so i will have to configure workgroup for both win 7 and xp

Yes they have to be joined to the SAME workgroup to communicate across the two different OS’s correctly. Starting with Windows 7 MS changed the way workgroups are setup by default… so if you have never set the workgroups to be compliant more than likely they are not. This could lead to the Windows 7 machine not being able to see or connect to the windows XP machine correctly… which means your printer would be invisible to all of the computers BUT the windows xp machine. Which would explain why no queue was made…

I highly recommend you going with a USB networked print server… its inexpensive and would hook the printer directly to the network. Especially since your mission critical printers are hooked to a legacy OS (Not Recommended) that is no longer supported by Microsoft which means most developers will stop developing solutions for it as well

Refer to below link shows step by steps:

1 Like

Yes but unfortunately even though the driver is a total package for multiple OS versions oftentimes the legacy OS’s actual driver function is unchanged they just leave the support in there because they can and it makes sense. IT does not always mean they are updating that OS’s driver support.

That being said… I really think it is a network issue and most likely a Workgroup issue. The article @morshed1 just posted is GREAT!

EDIT: sorry for so many posts but I wanted you to see all points to this possibility since you are live and it is mission critical for you. I have one more point you should consider.

You really should consider upgrading the XP machine to windows 7 or 8.1 in the future to eliminate any future issues.

usb networked print server is one to one or one to many?

so having another win 7 pc is better than usb printer server

ps its gud to have alot of remarks as they increase your knowledge and help to resolve issue :_

Actually a usb print server is your best solution other than buying a network ready printer. USB print server connects the printer DIRECTLY to the network via a port on your router or a network hub not a computer… it would show up on every computer as a networked printer.

So instead of sending the print job to the computer and then the printer… it would send it to the print server which would serve the print. It is built with 1 purpose and it does it well…

Technically you are using a print server now …the windows xp machine in essense is your print server right now and it was not built for 1 single purpose so it will do the job but not as efficiently as a dedicated print server.

how many printer can be attached to printer server

depends on the print server and how many ports. the one I linked is a single printer print server you can get some that can hook multiples

Here is a great resource if you use wireless… You could basically put your printer anywhere you can hook it to power as long as it has wireless coverage.
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WPS510U-150Mbps-Wireless-Detachable/dp/B003CFAU0U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1409926804&sr=8-4&keywords=2+printer+usb+print+server

it hooks right into back of your printer and connects to network via wireless

Here is a 4port… (can hook 4 printers)

http://www.amazon.com/Frog-tech-Networking-Printer-Devices-microfiber/dp/B00HID6E98/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1409926895&sr=8-6&keywords=print+server

hmmm…keeping in mind that in near future i would like to have kitchen monitor display setup than is it better to have a pc with win 7 pro

Keep in mind that there is a limit to the length of USB cable for it to operate reliably (~15 feet or so). It’s not like CAT5/6 (Ethernet) which can run 300 feet. So if your printers are a long distance apart, a multiple USB-port print server isn’t going to help you much.

THe price of USB Print servers are so cheap… it would be a wise investment to get a single print server for each printer. This would also be more efficient in higher volume hours.

It would be a lot cheaper than investing in windows 7 for the time being… and when you do finally upgrade to w7 or w8 your print servers will still work. and will still be the better fail safe solution.

Print servers are not the ONLY solution I am bringing them up because they are extremely efficient. would work with your current printer hardware, and are inexpensive. They would also create a more fail safe environment by separating the printers off a single PC and onto a piece of extremely reliable simple hardware.

1 Like

@kendash on ur suggestion i buy printer server t-link dpr 1061 but unfortunaltely the server is not compatible with epson tm u220

which printer server are you using for kitchen order and for which receipt printer???

When I look up the tm u220 it says it supports ethernet already. You should be able to just hook it to your network… is something different about your model? You would not even need the print server using that printer…according to epson it has ethernet and wireless built in… you should be running it hooked into your network not a computer.

If I am right you do not need print servers at all. You do not need to hook them into your computer… just use the ethernet port on back of the printer and hook it directly into your network. Or you could use the wireless that is built in if your using wireless routers.

Is this not your printer? https://pos.epson.com/products/TM-U220Series.htm

PS I run printers hooked into network so I do not need a print server… but most print servers will work with almost any usb printer. More than likely it would not be compatible because that printer is a networked printer already.

EDIT: Sorry I did not look up your printer earlier. Hooking the printer directly to the network via Ethernet or Wireless is the BEST and MOST reliable method for running your printers. It will completely eliminate your issue.

Here is instructions to set your printers up correctly.

Ethernet:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6779824_set-up-ethernet-printer.html

Wireless:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2192712_setup-wireless-printer.html

So after following these instructions you would not use USB. Your printer would be hooked to your router via Ethernet or wireless. Wireless works great if you setup good coverage, ethernet will be the most fail-safe method but you have to run the cables.

my epson tm u220b doesnt have an ethernet port

OK so its a 220b… let me look that printer up.

EDIT: You can search for other brands/prices but your looking for a RS-232 serial compatible print server.

This would be the type of print server you would need for that specific printer.

http://www.amazon.com/Network-100-Serial-Print-Server/dp/B000L212M2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410016594&sr=8-1&keywords=serial+print+server

Serial print servers are slightly more expensive… but it would still be a more affordable solution vs new desktop.

Serial connections for the most part are obsolete. However for basic needs of printing they work well and are proven technology so you still see a lot of them in business world quite simply because it works. However because it is an older technology and the prevalence of USB and Ethernet/Wireless many modern desktops are shipping without serial connections now. Specialized hardware for POS oftentimes would have the serial connections however.

Bottom line: Your printer is RS-232 connection which is a serial connection so look for Serial Print Servers.