Using a Star Kitchen Printer with ticket buzzer

I have been using a Star Micronics TSP742 Impact Kitchen Printer. It works fine as I have it set as an HTML printer in sambapos with the printer set up in Star Line Mode. The issue I am having is that we just added a bell to alert the kitchen of incoming orders. When the command executes, we get a print out of the command but no bell. I imagine this is due to the fact that it is set up as an HTML printer in Sambapos. The printer supports esc/pos mode, however, in this mode it does not install any print drivers in windows and is not install-able in windows as a printer in esc/pos mode. Only in star line mode is it install-able. Can Samba print to a non windows, networked printer? Or is there another work around. We will not be printing tickets to it in the future as we have our kitchen display running now. But we will still want the bell to sound to alert the kitchen. Thanks.

You should be able to install it as a network printer. I use star printers and it works great as networks printer.

1 Like

I Dont think command codes work in html mode, what you may need to do is have the command code in a seperate template and print job to the same printer but in xct/command mode and trigger the bell in a seccond action after the html print has been sent.

1 Like

install as a Windows printer, text only, creating an Ethernet port.

1 Like

No. It does not work. Gave it a try. When setup as esc/pos printer it does not install on windows. I set a text printer to Ethernet port and assigned it the ip address of the printer. nothing.

I tried that. Spits out a piece of paper with command on it…no bell

once installed the esc-pos printer with Ethernet port you do not have to enter the HTML printer but printer pos

is the printer created? if you try to do a print test from Windows?

If i set the printer up in esc/pos it does not install any print drivers for it in windows and it does not install a print queue. I tried creating a new port as ethernet with the printer’s IP address but it does not print at all.

You need to install the printer. Sambapos does not do that. Install a new printer in Windows and set it as network printer. Windows includes drivers for star printers it’s a name brand manufacturer.

I’ve done that but it is in star line mode and that is how we have been using it, set in Samba as a HTML printer. If i want to set it as an esc/pos printer i must uninstall it and change the configuration using the star utility. but it does not install in windows as an esc/pos printer. Star support said that is how it is designed. no print drivers are installed when in esc/pos mode and you must configure your pos system to install it. So it is most likely not compatible with samba in this mode. should have just bought the epson…lol.

do not use the drive star, use the text-only Windows and put a new Ethernet port with the printer id as a port, take a print test from Windows and see if it prints. I had star and it worked.

I have tried that, I get nothing. The star utility interfaces with it but windows will not print a test page to it.

if I’m not wrong, the star should have dip switches to choose the emulation, between star and esc-pos, check at the bottom of the printerCattura

1 Like

What he’s saying is turn off star mode and use xct/POS mode and when installing in Windows use generic text printer driver…

Try holding down the feed button when you turn it off, then turn it on and see what you’re printing, whether it’s star or esc-pos

1 Like