Wastage/Splillages & Kitchen Transfers

Oh so you have unaccounted inventory that is stolen? Well yes your right there is no way to separate them with End of Day. I do not deal with theft so I do not have a need for a separate waste system. Anyway if that is what you really need then you should do more research on it and figure out exactly how you want it to work.

None of the solutions will be simple.

sorry for the tone, like i said english is not my native language plus im under pressure, sorry about the tone, i will try the solutions that both of them are telling me.

OK so the inventory end of day adjustment solution is not suitable.

This point potentially pushes back towards my method.
With some creative automation you might be able to report it a used inventory (unlike my original setup) but if you were able to link in an auto update price to inventory cost price you could separate but taking total inventory usage and removing the ‘waste sales’ value at the updated sale price (actually cost price using automation)

As kendash said there is not a simple solution.

To try and more cleanly explain.

use a POS side automated flow to make a ‘waste ticket’ which puts through transaction at cost price including inventory use then total inventory use minus reported wast transaction value would give actual inventory sold and the date as reported.
Perhaps with a separate ticket type it might help keep accounts more structured.
This still however will not allow for individual ingredient wastage rather than sellable/PLU/product wastage.
For that you would undoubtedly need to create a whole set of profits with direct inventory relation perhaps in a separate menu.
Again not simple

Perhaps an alternative approach would be to create a waste/theft warehouse you could transfer to rather than EOD record remove it. Then perhaps do a routine warehouse empty for that warehouse?
having never used the sambas inventory system I cannot really make too stronger recommendations of a inventory side solution. Perhaps kendash can comment on this idea?

To be honest ive never seen any point to tracking wastage like that. I mean you can address wastage without tracking it with basic good kitchen practices and technique. You also generally know your wastage. What does tracking it do to make you more profitable? Is it to get credits from a supplier? If so maybe that could be useful.

I generally know I’m gonna get around 80% yield from tomatoes but only about 70% from biscuits due to predictions on baked goods. Tracking that doesn’t help me.

If you get some kind of credit for wastage then yes it may be useful otherwise it’s pointless

That is very true kendash.
We track wastage for our stocktaker for a couple of reasons.
Generally it helps to check that there is no more general issues especially as we now manage 3 businesses its hard to be involved intricately in all three.
Food wise there is minimal wastage reporting beyond major issues say fridge breakdown or something like that. It just helps us keep track and account from that to confirm that the pricing is returning the preferred margins overall but as you imply the raw GP of purchases vs sales is ultimately the important factor.
Wet wise we are more picky re wastage the main factor probably is to check that nothing is going missing on the sly, since on a stocktake we would accept a small % of unexplained variance given the large turnover if was we were 28 shots of vodka down we would look more closely as that would point towards perhaps a bottle going missing.
Its mainly a way to help monitor stock when you have a large team and not on the floor every day.
We also expand our wastage report to account for comp/manager giveaways, yes we can use gift etc but its just a system we have always used.
There is no financial benefit for us but it does help us better monitor the actual yield, splitting genuine wastage from other potential issues.

This general helper reporting style is why we only do it the easiest method that allows someone on duty to log a breakage or mistake etc while adding reason to it.
There is undoubtibly better alternatives in samba but this way works for us.

hey rickh greeting, one question when creating the ticket for this solution are u using the same number generator for the “real sales”?

hellow, hey guys
i dont know how this solution works in some specific cases but
it only seems to works with products that are listed as sales products but what about the inventory items like ketchup or
Mayonnaise or just 1 unit of bread or like pepper. invenotry items that are not for direct sales but used in recipes.

It doesnt, i dont use inventory so wasnt part of the flow,
You could use the 1:1 recipe creator and make products for all inventory but bit messy if you ask me.

That would prob be the only way, i designed this originally for a bar setup so all wastage items are products that are sold

youd have to modify it to work to waste things ingredients of products, so youd need to create a product for ketchup for example that deducts inventory in ml, so if you need to waste 10ml of ketchup you would add the product ketchup to the wastage ticket and change quantity to 10

Would be quite a bit of work to setup

yes i was i hadnt got around to changing that so ideally you would probably want a separate number generator

this products will have to have zero price right?

yes
quite a bit of work :disappointed_relieved:

they could have the cost price price then you can track, record and make reports of the items youve wasted and their cost

hey rick what do you think if wastage can be manage through negative inventory purchases made by a “supplier” named wastage.

1 Like

@RickH what do you think?

It can be done yes try it out.