Client PC will not connect to Server PC Data Connection String

Keval, Good luck. I’m heading for a rest as it is getting late here. Sure the other members can support you further if needed.

@JTRTech Im sorry, but when you say username and password you are referring to the Account name and password correct? On Server is is Keval and Pass1, on Client it is POS1 and Pass2.

@Jesse how do i make sure the SQL server is allowing outside authentications? Im sure I had come across this before in the set up but i dont remember how to get to it

@Peter_Cijsouw thank you for all the help

Windows username and password.

Did you add the additional username & password to the SQL permissions?
The mixed mode bypasses the windows with a fixed user and password. My thought way that maybe the adding mixed auth post install was not done correctly.
Humor me and make a new user on the client machine with exact user and pasword as the account on the server and try connecting.

Test that Mixed Mode is working properly on the Server.

Start SSMS and switch the type of Authentication to SQL Server Authentication, enter the username and password (most Tutorials use sa as the Username and sambapos as the Password), and click Connect.

If you cannot connect on the Server using SQL Server Authentication, use SSMS to ensure mixed-mode is enabled …

After ensuring it is enabled, and you still cannot logon using the sa Account, logon to SSMS using Windows Authentication and check your sa Account and reset the password if necessary …

Now quit SSMS and logon using the sa Account to test that it works properly.

2 Likes

@JTRTech @QMcKay
Thank you for both suggestions, I shall try them when I get into office tomorrow

Okay, I have tried both methods, sa account was working fine and Mixed Authentication is running fine.
I have also changed the client Username and Pass to match that of the server PC.

Still no luck

@kendash Yes I have checked this box also…
Is there anyway this could be a router problem?
How would I check if it is?
(I have all firewalls disabled at the moment) I would really like to have a firewall on the Server PC but until this is done I shall keep it down

Can you connect to sql server from a remote computer? Using mSSMS

I havent done that, or installed mssms on the client, ill try that now

So is that server pc exposed to the internet?

Yes, yes it is, which i know is very risky

You can run a firewall but you might want to google how to enable sql server through windows firewall.

I dont think it should matter actually, I believe the Modem/Router has a firewall.

I am running the system of a router connected to another Modem/Router.

Be sure your routers are allowing the connections then.

Okay, not entirely sure what happened, but the Client PC managed to get into Samba without any data Connection String Problem.

The only thing is, it doesn’t say connected in the bottom left like the server does

Connected at bottom doesnt matter thats just message server. With no connection string it probably defaulted to a local sql instance.

@Jesse I think its working, we just tried a dummy order on the client, and i can see it on the server pc

1 Like

It is important that you do not confuse the Message Server with DB Connectivity. They are 2 different things, and have nothing to do with each other.

The Message Server is responsible for placing the CONNECTED indicator at the bottom of the screen. By default, it runs on port 8080.

:exclamation: The CONNECTED indicator has nothing to do with DB connectivity. This is an indicator that the Messaging Service is running properly, which sends information about screen updates between Server and Client.

For DB connectivity, there is no indicator on the SambaPOS screen. The fact that you can login on the client and see the POS menu is your indication that it is working properly. By default, it runs on port 1043.

1 Like