Data source error message

Check the firewall on the server machine…

Tried turning off the firewall too with no luck

Check if you can ping server from workstations, also network cables, router power…

1 Like

Have you restarted all computers?
As said above, shutdown, turn server machine on first any allow time to boot fully before turning other machines on.

I have restarted all comps numerous times with no luck. Network seems fine. Server and one workstation on wifi and other workstation is plugged in. How do I ping server from workstation?

Do you have any shared folders on the till that are on the server? Can you access those?
Did you say Samba works fine on the server (localhost)?
Ping is a network tool, you can do in cmd promp; ping 192.168.1.100 where the ip is your server, or server hostname.
You would get something like this;

Samba works fine on the server. Can’t ping the server from either workstation. I get request timed out. Sent=4 Received=4 Lost=4 100% loss. Internet works fine though??

Sounds like either firewall blocking it or router blocking it.

1 Like

That defiantly sounds like a network issue to me.
Without knowing more detail on your network and config its hard to suggest solutions.
@Jesse has the right first place to start.

This is an internal network issue, and it can be caused by many things.

Just because the Internet is working does not mean that the computers in your network can communicate with each other. One of the things that can cause this is the network type setting on your machines… are they set to Public, Private, Work, or?

What OS are you running on your machines?

I got it working now. Definitely network related. I think I have a conflict between 2 routers. Had to turn on the main router which for some reason only gave me a local network then I turned on all computers which connected to my database. Then I plugged in the other router which somehow supplied internet to the first router?? All is well for the moment…

Thanks to all for the help! Never cease to amaze!!

Depending on your wiring having two routers is a little odd, you might have conficiting dchp servers etc with they are both full routers, usually you might have a router for internet access and dchp and a switch to give more ethernet ports.
I would have a look into this at another time when your closed…
Generally I try to set static IP for any fixed terminal and configure the hosts file to exact IP on each terminal but dont try that if you dont know what your doing. Static IPs might be a good thing to look into, if you had a robust switch and static IP the internet router could be replaced/restarted without effecting the network.

2 Likes

The idea behind the 2 routers was so I could run all my computers on one and have the other for public access but so far it’s proving to be a nightmare! Hopefully it holds up until I’m closed for a day!! Thanks again!!!

That is a novel idea but if you have the routers hooked to each other then it defeats the purpose.

I have a similar setup at a place I help out at.
They have a very large network with 15 Wifi AP, 12 IP CCTV, about 10 office/PCs, 5 Tills, 12 live-in staff with their own PCs and phones etc etc and at times up to 150 customers/guests on wifi with phones and tablets etc.
What they have is two subnets on one infrastructure as a large property and limited cabling routes.
I have installed there hotspot/wifi and CCTV part of the network.
What I did was install a PFsence box which does all DHCP of 10.0.1.1 - 10.0.2.250, all the internal network (offices PC and CCTV etc is on 192.168.1.x subnet.
While they are on the same physical network subnet doesn’t provide additional security but keeps the general public in seperate ip range of the hotel.
All hotel devices are password protected and firewalls enabled and server is set to only accept connections from specified devices.
Pretty much there is one internet connection, all hotel devices connect directly to the main router, the PFsence box was WAN to the internet router and LAN back into the core network with DHCP on separate subnet.
That is where the 10.0.1.x - 10.0.2.x range comes in as over 24 hrs a standard 254ip subnet would get filled with leases.
This means any unaccociated device receives an IP from the PFsence box.
I used the pfsence box to limit bandwidth on a per device basis to 4Mb/s to reduce the effect of a single hotel guest slowing all internet with hi bandwidth thing like downloading but enought for general normal use and Wifi subnet to a total 12Mb/s which caps the public bandwidth useage to that the hotel office etc always have a respectable speed/bandwidth remaining of the respectable 16-18Mb/s they get in centre of town.

TO BE CLEAR THIS IS NOT A METHOD FOR SECURITY BUT TO ORGANISE TH NETWORK MORE EFFICIENTLY - A EXPERIENCED TECH/HACKER COULD STILL CAUSE ISSUES

2 Likes

I may do wifi at my restaurant sometime in the future but I was looking at a router that provides dualband simply use the 5ghz band for the Wifi and the 2.4ghz band for my SambaPOS computers. I mean the tablets. Of course the main computers will be ethernet.

Personally I am not too worried about security too much where I am at. The built in firewall and port control is enough for me.

The two router idea is not a bad one but it sounds like you may not have configured it well if they are competing for DHCP like that. Are they both assigning IP’s? I have used a linksys as a bridge before allowing the main router to run all the DHCP it worked great but required an open source firmware.

1 Like

A tip for anyone, if your tight on cash and have a wifi dead spot almost any wireless router/modem will act as a wireless access point if you disable the DHCP and run ethernet from your main internet router/DHCP derver to the LAN side of the DHCP-less box. :slight_smile:
Key thing to remember is you only ever want one DHCP server on one LAN (unless you work with much more complex V-Lans etc)

Also multiple wifi access points can have the same name and password so long as you set them to different channels - ideally 2-3 channels apart if there coverage overlaps. This will give you basic ‘roaming’ between them.

2 Likes

@Jesse if you want any comment from my experience let me know. Your obviously a very tech savey chap but have had several years of tinkering on the multi-subnet network at the hotel :slight_smile: and while im not an expert I have learnt many tricks and issues the hard way :slight_smile:
Am lucky the hotel are very understanding in that the network has developed extensively at minimal cost as I have used it as a training ground LOL.
Have used many types of ticket/timed systems over the last 7 years there and now at a point that they have 95% good quality wifi signal across a very spread out 45 bedroom hotel with very thick cotswold stone walls.

One issue you might come up with this is public devices not yet fitted with the 5ghz chips. a pub I was asked to check when they had issues bought a new 5ghz AP but half their customers had older phones etc which only had 2.4g type chips (including the owners own laptop LOL :joy: )

2 Likes

That is true I did not think of that about the 5ghz band.

If you want to avoid ticket based timed systems which enduo being more hastle that they are worth look at pfSense, is free open Linux based package you can dump on an old pc with two network ports that gives you a apart enterprise level firewall type router/switch.
Supports vlans, captive portal, radius server and all sorts.
The hotel only uses the most basic features with limiting bandwidth etc but would be ideal for someone like you who knows what they at doing :smile:
The hotel use tplink access points as are super cheap and support passive POE which is rare for budget APs. Although only passive allows much better positioning of AP away from power socket.
If security is not your primary consern have a play with multiple subnets or if your feeling adventitious the same budget tplink APs support virtual lans, you could have two separate visual wireless networks running on the same network whith multiple dhcp etc.
I never bothered with virtual LANs as hotel only uses static wired machines for there ‘in house’ devices so no real bead for multiple wifi networks and the multi subnet works for their situation.