Epson TM U220 font size

Spanky you can send command to printer because it understands underline but for a reason it doesn’t change size. I’m thinking if using <Lxx> resets size or not. Your printer does not support GS ! command but it may reset font size. Can you try without using a tag before line?

I tried just putting

<XCT> 27, 33, 176 
hello

but nothing!
the TM U220 does not support <L00> or <C00>

but only double-height and double-width.

What does it say GS!?

Hi i want to know whether your printer problem resolved or not beacuse i was about to buy epson tm u 220

any suggestion whether i should buy or not

is thermal better than dot matrix

speed wise and setup wise?

@madiha,

Here are 5 reasons why a thermal receipt printer is superior to a dot matrix receipt printer.

1. Speed

Thermal printers print at an incredible rate when compared to dot matrix printers. The average dot matrix printer will print around 3 lines per second. Thermal printers average in excess of 20 lines per second.

1. Print Quality

Thermal receipt printers have a much better image and print quality than dot matrix receipt printers. The name “dot matrix” helps explain the major difference between the two very different technologies.

The dot matrix or impact printer creates characters by impacting a ribbon with up to 8 small wires that are aligned vertically in a dot head. As the dot head travels horizontally across the ribbon/paper these dots impact like small hammers making the impression on the ribbon and then the paper. Look closely at a receipt printed by a dot matrix printer and you will see these very small dots that make up the characters.

These dots simply do not have the quality of image that a thermal receipt printer does.

1. Logo Images

Dot matrix receipt printers go not have the ability to print a quality logo image on the receipt. Thermal receipt printers not only have this ability the image does have some very fine detail and is easy to download to the printer to be stored in the printer’s RAM.

1. Reliability

MTBF stands for Mean Time Between Failure. This is the standard for measuring the average time between failure for any device. In the case of printers it is either the average number of lines printed before a failure occurs or the average feet of paper that can be printed before a failure occurs.

In either case, the thermal receipt printers win across the board.

There are some thermal receipt printers that are better than others, but dot matrix printers simply do not have the staying power of a thermal printer.

This is due to fewer moving parts on a thermal printer and the fact that dot heads break due to the dot pins snagging on ribbons or are damaged when coins are dropped into the printer mechanism.

Thermal receipt printers do not have these extra moving parts as the paper is pulled across a stationary heat mechanism that heats the thermal paper to make the characters and images.

1. Cost of Ownership

This goes beyond simply the cost of supplies. This analysis should also include downtime and the cost of repairs.

Thermal paper does cost more than dot matrix paper. However, the added cost of ribbons for the dot matrix printer sends the cost of ownership for supplies higher for the dot matrix receipt printer.

When you add in the cost of repairs and the more frequent repairs for the dot matrix receipt printers the cost of ownership clearly swings in favor of thermal receipt printers.

The only good thing that I know of dot matrix printers is that they can be used in hot areas and the printouts are not affected by heat.

I could not!
but surely there will be a way or a command that allows you to do so.

@Isaac then it means Dot matrix can be used in kitchen and thermal for counter

That’s the concept but I would not go with dot matrix and simply position a thermal away from heat but still close enough for the chef.

why is it hard to configure and setup…not fully supported by sambapos or wht?

Hi Morshed,

You are right, thermal printers are good.
However in a lot of countries matrix printers are mandatory for bills.

As you see on this photo, only matrix (mechanic) printer can print a 3-papers roll:

• 2 for the customer (red and white)
  • 1 rolled inside the printer (yellow) and has to be kept 3 years for tax control purpouse.

Marc

We are using GS! command to increase font size and as shown on the documentation that posted on top of this thread TMU 220 model does not support this command. I’ve requested a printer from our hardware vendor to test ESC! command. They don’t have a TMU220 for testing but I’ll implement support for that command. If TM U220 supports ESC! as advertised we may solve font size issue.

I no longer have the TM U220!
someone who has it can try with the following command:

XCT 27,77,1

As I’ve guessed even TMU220 does not support this command but it resets font size. I’ve implemented a small feature to skip line formatting.

I’ve added two xct commands to enable double height and removed font size settings from order’s J tag.

This is my result. The modified version is on the back.

It will be available on next update.

I found a problem with epson tm U295!
if you use windows printer as you should expect that pulls the sheet and then print.
this does not happen, as you put the paper aside and does not print anything.
while if you are printing the reports or the account it works perfectly!

Hi Emre - can you confirm what specific features from the commands do?

When I add these, I get the bigger size I want but the entire ticket prints in all red.

Your question is not for @emre to confirm. You need to confirm this yourself.

Read your printer documentation to discover what the commands do, because the codes are different from one printer to another, and there are hundreds of code sequences.

1 Like

Got it… thank you :sunny:

Some info on using a TM-U220 Printer

I got the info from this link
https://reference.epson-biz.com/modules/ref_escpos/index.php?content_id=85

Here is my kitchen template as an example

<XCT>27,33,16
    [LAYOUT]
    <T>{USER NAME}
    <J>Time:{TIME} | Date:{TICKET DATE}
    <L>Table:{ENTITY NAME:Table}
    <L>Ticket No:{TICKET NO}
    <F>-
    <L>{NOTE}
    <F>-
    {ORDERS}
    [ORDERS]
    <L>- {QUANTITY} {NAME}
    {ORDER TAGS}
    [ORDERS:Void]
    <J>- {QUANTITY} {NAME}|**Void**
    {ORDER TAGS}

[ORDER TAGS]
    -- Format for order tags
    <XCT>27,114,1
    <J>     * {ORDER TAG NAME}
    <XCT>27,114,0

<XCT>27,33,16 = double height
    <XCT>27,114,1 = Change to color 2 (in my case printing in red color)
    <XCT>27,114,0 = Change to color 1 (black)

<XCT>27,69,1 = EMPHASIS ON
    <XCT>27,69,0 = EMPHASIS OFF
4 Likes

@Vasilios thanks for the informative info,
Just to confirm the commands for dive and colour in your printer are all working as expected?
Just picked up a couple of u220 printers for an upcoming project and was apprehensive about getting the colour command to setup.
Thanks in advance :smile:

Yea everything is working great. I have it so the item is black and the order tags are red underneath. Helps with readability

1 Like