Intermittent printing stop or printer offline issue

Hi All,

I love Sambapos and I wish I could contribute more to this forum.

I will start with a peculiar problem I faced in our setup. We have two Epson TM-T20 receipt printers connected via Ethernet on the network.

The printers would print nicely when we first start the system up and after a while just stop responding or delayed printing. Switching off and on the printers gave it life for a short period before they stopped printing again.

After weeks of fiddling with routers, cables, drivers dhcps NATs etc, I have finally figured out what the problem is and wish to share it for the benefit of others experiencing similar issues.

The problem is basically caused by Windows 7 defaulting to use SNMP to monitor the printers. This default behaviour causes Windows to constantly send SNMP traps to the printers. Unfortunately since the printers are not setup with SNMP settings they do not respond and Windows thinks they are offline and stops printing.

To fix this you need to go into the Printer Properties/Ports and click on Configure Port on the port that the printer is using followed by unticking SNMP settings. On the Epson I also had to change the default Always Monitor setting to Do Not Monitor.

An optional setting to disable is the Enable Bidirectional printing feature. By doing this I found the printer to actually respond a little quicker as it does not have to reserve memory for two way communication.

I hope this helps others in this great Sambapos community. Love the work everyone is doing.

Regards

5 Likes