SambaPOS Server, Workstation & RDP Setup Guide

So are you saying it is too expensive?
Yeah we all agree.

Everyone making a lot of money from that business… but… OMG, wait… I’ll immediately increase SambaPOS license prices by %300.

Well, still makes $0… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That price is pennies when you compare it to other POS solutions and those solutions would still require the same setup as well for RDP… I am really not sure where it became OK to cheat this and accept a hack in a business. This is something almost every business owner plans around and budgets for.

I am sorry but $1300 for server software to handle 10 devices is not expensive. It just depends on how you look at it I guess. I think the disconnect happens because people are not used to IT in business environment they are used to home computers etc. So this seems like a shocking price to them. In business world thats actually rather cheap considering the software it will run is free.

1 Like

@unikbit

Microsoft licensing is not cheap. This has been discussed before and it has nothing to do SambaPOS. Any POS you buy will need the same licensing.

By the way, to properly license a 10 user environment you need to add 5 more Windows Server 2012 CALs. The software you posted includes only 5 CALs. :smile:

1 Like

I think I didn’t express myself very well. Still I didn’t used the software to see how well is performing.
I don’t want to say is expensive just everyone to know what kind of licencing need to use for a server IT infrastructure and what kind of costs to expect

Hi All - you can try other alternatives for RDP connections:
http://www.thinsoftinc.com/products.aspx

I have used this software some time ago on a WIn Ser 2003 and it worked great. It seems to have evolved quite well but I have no recent experience with it.

DISCLAIMER: I have absolutely no connection with this site or company other than I was a customer. I found the service to be of a good standard. Please report your experience back here (if that’s ok emre…).

2 Likes

Hi guys, I’ve been using SamabPos since December 2014. It’s been brilliant! Thank you to everyone who helped build this system.

Unfortunately I was starting up a new business and had to rely on someone else setting up Samba for me, as I didn’t have the time to do it myself. This has resulted in a few issues with my kitchen display and backup to dropbox not working.

I decided I’d take the time to start from scratch and do it myself.

I was wondering if it was possible to use Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com/download/server as the server database and Windows 7 as the clients. I know that Ubuntu is a lot more stable, resource friendly and secure. It is also a much more cost effective option for businesses who are start-ups like myself. Any advice or information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

1 Like

@melroyg

You do not need a dedicated server computer. Use one terminal as your server and order entry terminal. I use one computer as a server(and order entry terminal) and three other computers connect to this computer. No issue whatsoever with this setup.

SambaPOS works with Microsoft SQL thus no Ubuntu would not work for the database server. Most real tests show windows as more stable. The whole Linux thing being more stable is very subjective.

1 Like

Thanks guys. I appreciate your help.

Hello morshed. Good tutorial by you. But after setting up all in your step, is there any tutorial step by step to setup 2x client to android phone? i’m sorry, i don’t have basic on remote desktop & server… my sambapos right now already have been complete but i stil cant configure the 2x. right now im using vnc viewer. the problem is if waiter take order, the menu on the pc also will be moving. Another problem is even though we still can order from android phone, it is using mouse icon so it will be hard for waiter to take order. Please help me :frowning:

sorry for bad english as it is not my first language

1 Like

Yes Please Morshed, this is my problem please tell us something from this step how to configure 2x client android

On a device as small as a phone you will have issues either way.
less than 8" of screen is very small and will be very fiddly unless you have a device with stylus and accurate screen calibration.
I would personally recommend at least 8" device, 8" will be useable but how useable would depend on how strategic you are with your menu setup and button sizes etc.
10" is getting big for handheld order device but much more forgiving with button sizes.

VNC will take remote control over the machine as it stands and is not made to be used x2 on same machine.

@ordinary_person @sheebalyare
As you are both using android you cannot have Samba locally on device and you will have to use a remote app like VNC or RDP
RDP is usually a preferred method.
Now there is some controversy regarding the following;
Standard RDP will allow a single session per PC, in theory you must have a server with sufficient license to allow multiple RDP sessions. An alternative is to have a PC for each mobile device.
There are ‘work arrounds’ for multiple RDP in the form of a patch to allow 'Congruent RDP Sessions', but have to point out that this is a patch for windows and is breaking the license agreement and also is leaving yourself open to security vulnerabilities. As such this method is not endorsed or recommended (generally recommended AGAINST), and this info is for information only and your free to do with it as you like :smile:

As you are using a small screened device I would suggest you maybe look at getting a larger 8-10" Windows 8.1 or higher tablet, there are a few discussions of recommended devices on the forum. This would allow you to install samba locally on the tablet and not worry about RDP etc and also give you a larger screen size.
Machines with acceptable performance go for as little as £80-120 but as with everything you get what you pay for.
If I had to go with RDP setup my preference for legal and powerful performance would be additional small format PC like Dell 780USF which go for around £60-70 and have more than enough power for the job and can be tucked away out of sight easily.

what do you mean by “install samba locally on tablet”? do u mean it is on windows 8 tablet?

and if you install it to tablet windows 8, how do you connect it to pc? can it send data from tablet to pc?

You would install SQL Express on the PC and connect to it via the connection string from the tablet.

now i already can setup the 2x rdp. but when we connect it, we just can log in on other account which is sambapos basic(without the setup i already made on admin). how do we connect it? i mean how do we use the same sambapos in admin user but we log in through standar user. Im sorry for bad english. if you understand what i mean…

now i can connect using my android phone. but we cant use the same user on one time right? so how do cashier want to use while the android connecting to it…

Sorry im not sure what your saying. Your terminology is very vague, are you talking windows accounts (for RDP) or samba users??
To help we need better explanation.

You are using a Single RDP (Remote Desktop Connection) and take with your android the screen over from the computer. The power of Windows RDP Clients is that you run a new session.
Have a look here to understand some more.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/186607

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/video/remote-desktop-services-rds-explained.aspx

Sorry for taking your time jtrtech.

this what happen to me right now. im using 2x remote application server console and i setup a terminal there(i only setup the terminal, am i missing something here?). and then i connect my android using 2x rdp apps on my android to access pc. i can open sambapos using my android but i cant use it on the pc at the same time. im using the android to take order for my restaurant and the pc for cashier. so if i cant use both at the same time, it will be a problem for me…

(further explaination)
my android can connect to my pc right now, but while im connecting my android to pc, the pc cant be use. if i use the pc(meaning log in on the same user account on windows) the connection will be disconnected. so i create another user account on my windows, let’s say my first account username is “faheem” and second account username is “test1”. if my android log in “test1”, on pc i can only log in “faheem”(can i log in on one user account on windows with both android and pc at the same time?) . so the sambapos program will not be the same if i use separate user account…

tomorrow i’ll snap the photo if this is not clear enough as i cant snap it right now because all of the devices are at my restaurant.

thank you… hope you can help me.